Friday 28 July 2023

Friday, 28-07-23

 Good morning, everyone.


Instead of a garden photo, I said I'd take a photo of the granny hexagons so here it is.  I think they are just so very pretty and really easy too.  I wish I knew someone who was having a baby - then I could make a nice shawl!

Yesterday was really good.
I started with the SET class followed by breakfast and the old BP measurement before setting out to Val's, collecting a tankful of petrol as I went.  I'd hoped to stave this expense off until Tuesday but didn't want to take the risk.  Oh, well, it's only a few days.

Once at Val's, we had a quick chat before setting off for the Blue Egg where we shared a ginormous and most delicious chicken, bacon and avocado sandwich.  You've heard of doorstep slices - well these pretty much defined the term and there's no way I could have ploughed my way through the whole lot, I'd have had to bring half home.  It was absolutely delicious though and, with more that substantial filling, kept me going until the evening.
Then we went around the barn, enjoying looking at all the goods on offer.  I just bought a few essentials but could have spent a fortune!

Then we headed off for the butcher Val uses which is right out in the sticks.  I can see why she uses it - a proper old fashioned place that cuts your meat while you wait.  I wanted some chicken thighs and, as they didn't have any, one of the butchers cheerfully cut the drums from off some legs so I got my thighs.  He'd have skinned and boned them too but I wanted them just as they came.
I also treated myself to some bacon (looked really good so fingers crossed) and a lamb kebab which was a bit naughty but it looked so good.
What with that and what I already have in the freezer, I don't think I will need to buy any meat through August, which is good.

Once home, I got the chilli con carne on for dinner and then chilled.  A good day.

It's still dark-ish outside but, after a wet day for most of yesterday, it's forecast to me much nicer today.  I'm off to Slimming World first, then I need to do just a little bit of tidying up for the cleaners and the rest of the day is my own.  Nice.

Take care, everyone, and I hope your day is as lovely as I hope mine is.  xx




22 comments:

  1. Beautiful hexagons Joy, would also make a gorgeous summery lap quilt or shawl for the chilly summer evenings which we do often get.
    Doorstep sandwiches! - my last visit I had a toasted sandwich that too was a doorstep and a half needing to be eaten with a knife and fork!
    Glad I'm not the only person up and about at the crack of dawn this morning!
    Have a good day.
    Suze xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A shawl - that's it - thank you! I will turn them into a shawl!
      I was awake before four which was a right pain!
      The sandwich was so, so good!
      xx

      Delete
    2. Sometimes it's just a little something over the shoulders that can be pulled up or slid down isn't it. Very pretty and practical for a summer evening. xx

      Delete
    3. Very much so - especially for the sort of weather we are getting at the moment! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. The hexagons are so pretty, Joy. You could always make a baby shawl anyway and wrap and store it for a future baby - there are bound to be some babies coming sooner or later, and you'll be prepared in advance! I did that a few years ago, made 4 or 5 baby blankets one after the other and kept them wrapped and ready for gifting. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea too and I'm making squares as well as hexagons so - definitely! Thanks, Sooze. xx

      Delete
  3. I was going to suggest an adult shawl for chilly winter mornings too - great minds think alike 😊. The hexagons are pretty and look soft and cozy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like them and have never seen them before. xx

      Delete
  4. A shawl is a brilliant idea and will look good with your top on those cooler evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do seem to be getting quite a lot of chilly evenings at the moment, don't we? xx

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, the granny hexagons are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they lovely?
      I need to work out how to do the infills at the edges now. xx

      Delete
  6. Love those pretty hexagons. Glad you had a good trip out with your friend, the lunch sounds good.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really delicious - a treat as one doesn't usually make such squishy, enormous sandwiches! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  7. Very pretty hexagons - I love the pink and blue combinations. x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that, and the lilac-y purple mixes too. GReen is quite nice as an accent but, apart from maybe the centre, I am not sure about the yellow - I don't wear yellow.
      xx

      Delete
  8. Lovely hexagons Joy. Now as I live across the pond... What is a "door step slice"?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) It means a great thick slice of bread - around a couple of cms thick! The bread has to be very soft and fresh for it to work. xx

      Delete
  9. Your crochet is so beautiful. It almost makes me want to try again, until I remember how frustrating it was - though I must admit that Mum and I had a great laugh trying to learn together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it very frustrating too - I think that one expects it to be like knitting and it isn't.
      I'm still no great shakes at following a crochet pattern. There seems to be no standard way of doing it and the different UK/USA terms for the same stitch can be very confusing, especially if the pattern doesn't state which one it is using.
      But once you get into the way of it, it's lovely. I think it's a skill worth working on.

      My Mum never mastered it either - but she never really wanted to; she loved her knitting. xx

      Delete
  10. Those hexagons are very pretty. You could always make a shawl, just in case. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely could have done with one today! Brrrr
      xx

      Delete