Friday 7 July 2023

Friday, 07-07-23

 

Hurry up, tomatoes . . .

Good morning, everyone.  Welcome to Friday, nearly the weekend.  The sun is shining and, while it is cool right now, hopefully it will warm up a little bit.

First of all, thank you very much for the advice about the squares, bag, etc.  So many comments compared with the usual.  It was extremely helpful, unanimous and much appreciated.  

I did an extra row on the one row sunflowers and it's all going swimmingly.  I'm making a rectangular bag rather than an on the cross one with them although they would make a lovely cushion cover and I'm seriously thinking of getting some more cotton based yarn to make a few cushions for the garden.
There's enough background colour to finish the squares and for a band around the top but I don't think there's enough for a handle  I could use one of the yellows, maybe the darker one, or I could see if I can find a toning dark olive yarn - a band top and bottom (to make it rectangular) might look really good.
Do I feel a trip to Hobbycraft coming along?  :-)

If it does work and I finish a bag (lined), as you lovely people have been so helpful, I will offer it as a giveaway, I think (UK/Ireland only - sorry) - but if it doesn't, I won't.  

I also found a similar design (but not totally the same) called, I think, a ditsy daisy square, pretty if made in pastelly floral colours. 

Apart from working on the crochet, I did the usual necessary homey stuff and Chris and I had a lovely time picking strawberries and raspberries before enjoying a coffee and chat at the Bee Shed.  Very good coffee and even better company!

I experimented with using some gram (chickpea) flour to make some bread, mixed with wholemeal and a bit of white.  In its first mixing I thought it would never work, and it was slow to rise, but the end result was delicious and would have been even nicer had I not forgotten to add the oil so it was rather dry- doh!
I thought I might have another go today and remember the oil this time because it was so yummy!

Today starts with Slimming world and then my house really isn't cleaner friendly so I must spend the time it takes sorting that out.  If I make the dough first, then it can rise while I whizz around and tidy things up.

And then, yes, I'm off to Hobbycraft.  Oh dear.
I don't want to get the sewing machine out until the cleaners have worked their magic, but if I then get it set up, it can stay out until tomorrow evening.  It's about time I did some needlework again anyway.

Have a lovely day, everyone and, again, thank you so much for the help.  xx

10 comments:

  1. Love the idea of garden cushions and Hobbycraft usually has 3 for 2 so a bargain really🤣 Gremlins have been declining my comments for a few days so fingers crossed. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check the spam folder, Catriona. I think that design would make a lovely garden cushion and I do have cushion pads I could use. I'd forgotten about the three for two but yes, that often do. Good point. xx

      Delete
  2. Your tomatoes are coming along beautifully. Nothing quite like produce fresh from the ground. x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I'm so looking forward to them. xx

      Delete
  3. A good coffee really lifts the spirits doesn't it? Looking forward to seeing your purchases from hobbycraft
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much luck really. Lots of yarn, just not the colours I wanted. xx

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good day! Glad the bread turned out well. The tomatoes are coming along nicely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are - it's the waiting time now, isn't it? xx

      Delete
  5. Flower cushions for the garden, how lovely!
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great way of using up my yarn too. :-) xx

      Delete