Thursday 2 March 2023

Thursday, 02-03-23

 Morning, everyone.  We woke up to quite a frost this morning but it's starting to go and the sun might break through at some point.  We will see.

Yesterday was just one of those days where there was hardly room to breathe with things just come one after the other, bam, bam, bam.

I got all the shopping done - three shops and a petrol station.  The nice thing about going early is that rarely are there more than a few people waiting to check out so one doesn't have to hang around for very long.  Between the three shops, I got pretty much everything on my list so am well set up for a few weeks now (longer, in some cases), but it did take quite a long time.

Interestingly, there were no obvious shortages of salad vegetables in any of the shops I used and no restrictions either.  Expensive - very definitely, but they were available.  I now have a shedload of tomatoes to use up - lovely!

 Getting it all sorted out and put away took longer than usual and entering the amounts into this months spread sheet was a bit eye watering but, hopefully, there won't be much more expense for a few weeks now although, having said that, I have the lovely Sharon coming to do my hair tomorrow . . . ah, well!

Then it was time for a slightly rushed lunch before a Teams meeting at two.  It was good but I had to leave it a bit early to rush over to Lindsey's for personal training (I was a bit late but that was OK) where I enjoyed a good work out and endured the bad news that it was the last session in the block.  So when I got home, out went another wodge of money for the next block.  Oh, well, it is what it is!

Once home again, I was able to relax a bit and it was a very pleasant evening.

Today starts with the online SET class and then Chris is over for coffee and chat.  The only other thing is that the part for the tumble dryer should arrive at some point and it is just a question of taking the old part out (and chucking it) and inserting the new, I sincerely hope.

So this afternoon, I may sort out ten things in the shed (if that is possible) and there's a cupboard in the kitchen that I didn't go through in January because, really, it didn't need it but I think I will as it's baking stuff and I ought to check dates, etc, not to mention the question of have I actually used any of it for years?

And that is today.   I've just made some tomato and red pepper soup for lunch (it smells lovely) so I'm all set.  How about you?  What are your plans for today?  xx

16 comments:

  1. You are so organised and busy that you put me to shame. Then I remind myself that I used to teach full-time while bringing up four children, several species of animals and looking in on parents daily, while my husband was travelling the globe on business, so frequently away for weeks at a time. Now, I do as much as I can online and enjoy going out when I want to, rather than because I have to. (Actually, I'm just idle!) Enjoy your day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, precisely! I used to teach too as a solo mum etc, etc, and it takes some doing, believe me. I think organisation is a sort of safety new really. We both do this well enough to help ourselves and that's what matters.
      And no, you're not idle, you are sensibly putting yourself first because that works out best for everyone.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Morning Joy. I'm at the library using the free wifi. I've some books to change and then have to get back as we have someone coming to give us a quote for a new garage roof. Exciting life I lead.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new garage roof, eh. That will be nice, I am sure. xx

      Delete
  3. The shortages do seem to be working themselves out in some shops now don't they. It's only Aldi that has empty shelves in our town, Sainsbury's looks almost normal ... and even has eggs back in stock ... and Booths, which sells a lot more locally produced fruit and veg is looking pretty good.

    Today I need to work out my menu plan for the rest of the week, it's empty from this lunchtime onwards, I'm slipping!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've planned until Saturday and need to think a bit further ahead too.

      We've not had bad shortages around here; at least, I haven't really noticed much. A few gaps here and there but nothing to really worry about.
      xx

      Delete
  4. I've been helping at our community drop in this morning, this afternoon I'm finishing off making some lemon marmalade that I started prepping yesterday - I'm crossing my fingers for a good set because the lemons weren't the freshest, and they don't always set as well as sevilles as you probably know :)
    You sound super busy, hope you have this nice bit of sunshine that we have down in west Wales.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the set will be/has been fine and lemon marmalade sounds so delicious. xx

      Delete
  5. I didn't notice any shortages or restriction in the fruit and veg dept. either.

    It sounds like you had a busy day yesterday so hope today is a bit calmer. Good luck with starting the sorting in the shed and I hope the part for your tumble dryer turns up and is easy to fit.

    I met a friend for brunch, did a bit of shopping and have slept for most of the afternoon. This week has caught up with me and I need to slow down and get some rest over the next few day! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do take care. Sleep is a great restorer. Yes, the part turned up and all is well. :-)

      Delete
  6. Ooh, your soup sounds delicious! I had a shock at the grocery store this week - two bags of staples were $80. I hope I can cut back for the rest of the month but there always seem to be a couple of items that stretch the budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice; it's one I often make when I have to open a can of tomatoes and only need part of it.
      Yes, there's always something that needs paying for - it all feels a bit unrelenting at times, I think. xx

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a really busy day. Hope tomorrow is a little more relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will be. It will be nice to relax a bit. xx

      Delete
  8. I had read that there was a shortage of veggies in the UK. Glad to hear you found all (plus more) in your stores.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a bit of a shortage bit I think the media have stirred it up as well. It comes and goes, I guess. xx

      Delete