Sunday 4 September 2022

Sunday

 Good morning, everyone.  A very early good morning too as I have woken just before four after a really good night's sleep.  Not that long ago dawn would have been breaking by now but the nights are lengthening, the days shortening and there's a good hour plus of darkness left before there's any glimmer of daybreak - Google tells me that sunrise is at 6:15 this morning.  It feels lovely and cosy with the curtains drawn and the light on.

Something really nice happened the other day that I forgot to mention yesterday and that was an email from Premium Bonds to say three of my numbers had come up in September's draw so that's a not-to-be-sniffed at £75 re-invested.  It cheered me up no end!

It was a really pleasant day yesterday, a bit humid maybe for a while, but sunny and bright.  It made our park walk really pleasant and, as we are getting to know each other very nicely now, we chatted nineteen to the dozen all the way round as well as over the halfway coffee.  Already there are crunchy leaves to shuffle through and, despite the lack of rain, greenness is returning with the slightly lower temperatures.  It was a lovely time.

Before the walk, as you saw yesterday, I made those scones.  I needed to get them done early or I'd have been pushed for time so I set to nice and early.  Scones are pretty easy, Mary Berry's recipe is a good one although I added a little more sugar and the liquid was a mix of beaten egg, milk and yogurt - I love yogurt in scones - and they came out light and fluffy, rising like a dream.
As soon as they were cold, they were in bags and into my freezer.  That's the worst thing about scones; they do go stale quickly and Val doesn't need them until this afternoon so in the afternoon they travelled in a cool bag with some cool blocks and went into her freezer so she can take them out when she wants to.
Hoping they all have a lovely time, all twenty four or five of them.

Once that was all done, I needed to shuffle money around a bit (my 'inheritance' has now landed) so I did that and then enjoyed a sit down with book, knitting and telly.  Very civilised.

Today, as well as Beth and Alex coming round for dinner, is wash day.  It's been over a week, I didn't do any Friday or Saturday so there's quite a pile waiting.  The forecast is good so it's a dry on the line day and, hopefully, I'll get it all ironed and ready to put away by bedtime.

It'll be nice to have Beth and Alex round.  It's been a while since they were both here.

What are your plans for this September Sunday?  Have a lovely time.  xx


12 comments:

  1. Mornin' Joy, blimey you really are an early bird. I was awake at four but put the radio on and nodded off again. That was a nice little win on the premium bonds wasn't it. I bet it made your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did, I was really chuffed.
      I'm glad you nodded off again - I find it very hard to do that once I'm proper awake. xx

      Delete
  2. It's drizzly and overcast here this morning, and the dark mornings are becoming more noticeable. Yesterday, in Hyde Park, the weather was saying summer but the leaves on the ground were a sign that autumn is fast approaching. We are off to wander around a maze this morning, so I expect we will get hopelessly lost :)
    Congratulations on your win! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the maze!! :-)
      Yes, the trees know, don't they? And there are so many acorns on the oak trees this year. xx

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the premium bonds win, what a lovely surprise. I hope you enjoy your time with Beth and Alex, and especially the lamb ... I'm drooling just think of it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen. I was so pleased. I know it's not a big win in any way but everything helps.
      I'm really looking forward to the lamb too; I have it so rarely. xx

      Delete
  4. I use that Mary Berry recipe for scones and find it pretty foolproof.
    Every bit helps with the savings, especially in these uncertain times
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very sensible recipe, I felt. Hard to go wrong really.
      Yes, it all helps. I was really pleased. xx

      Delete
  5. Well done with the Premium Bond wins Joy.
    Scones are so delicious. Maybe I should make a batch for my freezer this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. They are a useful item to have in case.
      And thank you. xx

      Delete
  6. Well done, what a lovely little win on Ernie :-)

    Scones are brilliant aren't they, I tend to freeze them uncooked and then cook from frozen, but they are one of the many things that work either way. Of course, they are best eaten straight out of the oven though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much the best, they are gorgeous absolutely fresh. I never thought of freezing them raw. What a very good idea, thank you. xx

      Delete