Tuesday 20 September 2022

Tuesday

Good morning, everyone.  
Thank you so much for your comments under yesterday's post.  I didn't respond there as I didn't feel it was 'appropriate', but thank you.

How did you cope with the funerals, assuming you watched them?  I held it all together until that moment in Westminster Abbey, when the piper started playing.
Don't get me wrong - I'm afraid bagpipes bring tears to my eyes for quite a different reason; they simply are no my kind of music in any way, but the name of the tune was on the screen.  'Sleep, dearie, sleep'.  Oh, dear, there was something about those words that just hit home.

Two other moments were during the Procession on the Long Walk at Windsor where the Queen's pony, Emma, was standing with her groom and then, a little further on, two of her corgis.  Oh, dear.

And then just a quick glimpse of little Charlotte in tears.  I think it was right to have George and Charlotte there - children can handle things a lot better than adults sometimes think and it will help them understand, but I am glad that they were able to let out the emotion.  Ditto for the adults too.

Today has not started off well.  I woke early, came downstairs, fell asleep in my lovely recliner and woke up after Lindsey's Groove class had started - still in bed clothes.  So I've had to miss it, drat!  Maybe she will have something I can access later in the week, online.

Apart from that, there was nothing in the diary so I'm going to finish off the blanket and then gat things out and ready for the holiday.
How are you planning to use your day?  xx

12 comments:

  1. I have always been of the opinion that children should take part in all aspects of life and my eldest son went to his Great Grannies funeral when he was just three and a half, he threw three red roses down onto her coffin as she was laid to rest, one for each of the years he had loved her. If they grow up with these things being seen as normal and not scary it is so much easier for them when they are older.

    I'm lucky that Alan no longer has his bagpipes, he grew up playing them with his father who was the Band Major for Peebles Pipe Band. It was so poignant when the Queen's Piper played for her for the final time wasn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. Visually, it worked brilliantly with him walking away and out of the church. Very poignant.

      I agree, you are lucky!! They're just not my sort of sound. I think it's the drone - it fills my hearing so I can't actually hear the rest of it.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I was going to say good morning but checked the clock and I'm a bit late. Tony and I watched the whole thing from beginning to end and several times were close to tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go out to circuits but that was before the ceremonial 'state' part started and I recorded it.
      It was very emotive, very. xx

      Delete
  3. All of it…the pony of course…lowering the coffin…the bagpipes…so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of 'small', heartbreaking things. Well thought out. xx

      Delete
  4. After 70 years, she deserved it all…

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it was right the the two older children were involved but seeing them both cry (at different times) was heart-breaking. I watched it from start to finish and there were several moments that made me tear up ... her pony, the corgis, the Buckingham Palace staff, when they removed the crown, orb and sceptre. The final part, where the King placed the camp colours on the coffin and the Lord Chamberlain broke his wand, just about finished me off. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to give Charlotte a big hug . . . I didn't see George in tears but he was visibly upset. I loved the small signs of support from their mum and dad, all through - sort of 'we're here' kind of things. And William showing George where they had got to in the order of service. Just so - well, normal! xx

      Delete
  6. Absolutely right that the children were included. I remember when my special Granny died, I had to stay behind to look after my little brother. I felt cheated and so wanted to be there to say my goodbyes.

    Yes, there were a few teary moments, I didn't see it all but her personal piper playing the last lament and fading away at Windsor made me very teary. Poor chap must have been in bits inside knowing it was the last time ever he piped for her. (I do love the pipes!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am sure he found that extremely difficult. I wonder if Charles will continue this tradition in some way. xx

      Delete