Monday 10 January 2022

Monday

 Good morning.  Round here, yesterday was lovely with sunshine pretty much all day.  A shame the low sun shows up how dusty my windows are but not to worry!  It could be worse.

Thanks you for all your lovely comments about the document I was looking for particularly.  It turns out I didn't actually have it so that's a great relief but I didn't actually find that out until I had gone through every single blessed folder in the filing cabinet!
I don't mind though.  The thing needed a good clear out anyway, especially the middle and bottom drawers, and I found several things that - well, I knew they must be there but I didn't know precisely where.  Now I do.
I've also reorganised it so the the top drawer is 'personal', the middle one is 'house, car and possessions and the bottom drawer is 'finance'  They were a bit higgledy piggledy before.
I've also started copying what Dad did and the first folder in the top drawer is marked 'Read This First'.  In it I have put my funeral plan documents (not being morbid, just sensible), info as to where the LPA documents are kept plus my will and I will also put in any letters of intend I might wish to write and info like access to various financial stuff - basically, anything that Beth and Dave might need to know straight away, should the LPA need to be enforced and after my passing - plus a sheet listing what's actually in the cabinet.  It was so helpful to have that after Dad passed away and the least I can do is the same for Dave and Beth.
How do you organise all that side of things?

All that took quite a while and I was rather worried for a time about this document I couldn't find, emailed to the person who asked and got the reply that it was OK, he had the most important one anyway, the rest was not particularly crucial.  I still think I don't actually have anything else, I seem to remember sending it all off earlier in the year. 
I couldn't be cross as it had made me get everything cleared, sorted and properly organised, something that has been niggling at me for some time.  I certainty wouldn't have sorted everything if I hadn't needed to search.

Then I set to and dealt with the Christmas tree.  I deliberately didn't turn on the lights in the morning because if I did, I knew I wouldn't want to dismantle it - I love those pretty lights.
Anyway, it is all down, away in sundry containers and waiting by the back door.  I just didn't have the energy to take it all to the garage which is behind the house, away from the garden.  It does look nice and uncluttered again now.

And finally, ironing, and I was really glad to get that all done too.  Not that it will stay done for long, of course.

Phew!  I was shattered come the evening which makes it all the odder that I haven't slept all that well.  I think the brain is too active.  Not to worry, one of the very nice things about being retired is that I can sit and relax pretty much when I want to.  Good, isn't it?

Today there's two things in the diary.  One is Lindsey's circuits session at midday and the other is tuition after school.  However, I also have a List!!  I'd like to get all the Christmas stuff down to the garage this morning, weather permitting and I need to start in on the blue room, the guest room.  That's a priority because I have a friend coming to stay over next weekend.

Cherie and Rachel, I hope you're felling loads better this morning.  Everyone - take care, stay safe and be happy.  xx


14 comments:

  1. Joy you have pricked my conscience I really need to sort out my paperwork which is in a horrible mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those things, isn't it, that lots of us know they need to do but don't. It may have been pointless from the finding the paperwork point of view but I am so glad I got it done.
      The amount of useless old stuff - I found mortgage stuff dating back to the early 199s - and I haven't had a mortgage since 1997.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I think having your papers in order is such a sensible thing to do. It must make dealing with things just that little bit easier for family members when the time comes.
    I always feel a little sad when the Christmas decorations are packed away but it is very satisfying to give everything a thorough clean. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just finished getting all the garage stuff back there again and it does feel good, I agree. I just need to sweep where the Christmas tree was now and that won't take much time at all.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you got all the papers in order and even though you didn't find the document you were originally looking for, you now know where it is ... phew!!

    I think I need to have a good look through all my paperwork in the near future, although I have a box of things related to the Lodge here with me the majority of my papers are in the office in the personal filing cabinet, and knowing Alan's filing technique and lack of organisation it needs to be checked through again.

    The only drawback with mine is that all the old photographs and albums are in there too and I always end up browsing them and wasting far too much time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a relief when I knew hat I hadn't lost the important bit, definitely! And I also now know where lots of other things are as well.

      I'm very glad I took the time and made the effort - I feel very 'satisfied' that my affairs are in much better order.

      I know what you mean about getting distracted though . . .
      xx

      Delete
  4. I have a big ring binder with all the important documents and a summary sheet to help my executors when the time comes. I do make the effort to keep it up to date but probably need to look at it more often than I do.

    Well done on sorting through all your paperwork and on packing the Christmas tree away. It sounds like you had a really productive day and I'm not surprised your were tired at the end of it ... all that ironing would have finished me off! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day, very satisfying and productive and I went to sleep very easily. Sadly, I woke way too early but am hoping tonight goes much better.

      Delete
  5. I think I need to make a 'just in case' folder for Alexander. He does have a copy of my will and knows where the original is kept but that's about all I've gat around to. I do keep a separate bank account to pay for my 'non funeral'. We are going the direct cremation route. It still costs money though far far less than a funeral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble with keeping the money in a bank account is that when you pass away, it becomes part of the estate and no one can touch it until probate is granted - at least, that's how it will be for me, living a single life. Hence the funeral plan which is pretty much all paid for.
      I use the term funeral to mean whatever one chooses. I will want to be cremated as cheaply as possible and Dad wanted that too - he said so to us all in no uncertain terms!
      xx

      Delete
  6. I think that I will need to get started on that planning as well. My Dad had a binder with all that in it, plus he gave my sister and I copies of his will as we were executors. His funeral was paid for so that helped us a great deal.

    You are wise to get all that ready and easy to locate.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is something that I have been meaning to do for ages so it is a relief to get it done.
      Worth a little bit of work, definitely!

      Delete
  7. I've been thinking about getting things sorted - does sound morbid, but I think having both Mum and Jane die this year and seeing up close all the paperwork and things that you don't think of it makes you realise it has to be done and it would be nice to make things as easy as you can on those left behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, exactly! Now that Mum and Dad have both died and I'm the oldest, it's been on my mind quite a lot and it feels important to make things easier for Beth and Dave. It's bad enough without any unnecessary worry.
      xx

      Delete