Friday 21 January 2022

Friday

 Morning, everyone!  It's yet another cold and frosty start to the day with a clear sky and a bright moon.  I'm just back from the shed, getting in the provisions for the day from the freezer and my hands are so cold.  Brrrrrrr.

I picked up a little flyer about courses at Hyde Hall when I visited on Tuesday, went online yesterday and have booked a couple of them.  As an RHS member, there was a bit of a discount.
The first one is 'Hand Stitched Applique' which should be really satisfying, and the other is 'The Art of Garden Photography' which might help me make the best of my visits to Hyde Hall in the future.  Both are for beginners and the second says any camera will be suitable.   Phew!
That's cheered me up no end!  It's nice to be able to go to these things again.

I had a grand old chat with Chris first thing - lots of laughs and things to share.  We keep it to an hour, more or less, although come the warmer weather we might make it coffee out somewhere, or even lunch.  Nothing like pushing the boat out, is there?

Thankfully, Lindsey was feeling much better yesterday so I turned up for personal training and had a really great time.  Anyone who knows me from past times will know how weird this is - but it's true, I really do enjoy her sessions so much and know they are doing me loads of good at a time when if I don't use it, I will lose it, as the saying goes.

In the afternoon, thanks to Eileen's emails yesterday, I was able to make a bit of sense of the aperture instructions, got a couple of photos that show depth of field to stick in the work book, have some homework from Eileen to help with one area focusing and the next chapter is shutter speed which looks more straightforward.


See the slightly fuzzy background??

My confusion wasn't entirely me - just mostly.  However, the lens I have is quite limited and won't do much in the way of fuzzy backgrounds - sorry, I mean small depth of field - something to bear in mind if or when I replace my camera with something a bit more whizz - which won't be until I have finished this course.
Eileen - many thanks - and to everyone else who offered help too.

Today, being Friday, starts with the Slimming World meeting which is always really enjoyable - and it will be nice to hear people better again once masks are off.  Not this week but next.  I am sure some will choose to wear masks still and that's fine but I won't feel quite so guilty asking them to lower their mask so I can hear them.

Then I have to whizz home because someone from Seth's company is coming round to fit a new kitchen fan.  Not a fancy oven hood thingy, just a sort of hole in the wall type fan.  The one there at the moment hasn't worked properly for years!  It'll be nice to defug the kitchen without opening a window.

Finally, I must just do a bit of tidying for the cleaners.  It's not fair if the have to spend time moving piles of clutter before they can do their job, is it?

So that's today and I suppose I'd better get going and sort myself out.  Have a great day, everyone, and take care.  xx

18 comments:

  1. Good luck with the courses I di a day course in mushroom foraging, a day course in dog first aid and 6 weeks of bee keeping. No knowledge is ever wasted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you doing some of those - you kept bees for a while, didn't you, and bottled the honey?
      xx

      Delete
  2. The apple and table cloth under it are pin sharp. If you're after Bokeh, it might help if you position the camera so the apple fills more of the frame.
    Have fun experimenting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up 'bokeh'. Very interesting, thanks. This was just an exercise in my course - I'm still right at the start.
      I was pleased at how nice and sharp the apple was though.
      xx

      Delete
  3. It's a very good photo of an apple :-)

    My brother who was a photographic judge despairs of my point and shoot method of photographing things, but thanks to him I do sometimes take care to centre things properly and make sure there's less crap in the background when I'm photographing my shopping ... I knew his tips would come in handy one day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < grin > It was an exercise rather than a creative thing but it did come out nice and sharp, didn't it? I needed to print out two photos showing depth of field (or not) and I cropped the photos (cheated) to make them look more or less the same.
      I like your food photos.
      xx
      Must dig out my tripod!

      Delete
  4. The two courses sound like they'll be fun, especially the garden photography one!

    Re the help ... you are very welcome. It will hopefully 'click' a bit more once you've finished part one of the book and start to see how all the technical things relate to each other. Ignore the previous sentence if it scared you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all - I think it is good to be taught the technical stuff first and I'm sure it will help a lot, both with this course and the day at Hyde Hall which is focusing on the creative side. It will be good to at least have come across some of the vocabulary.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Those courses sounds good fun. I enjoy adult ed courses and wish we had more to choose from. I'd love to give wine making a go some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too, definitely! I'd love that.
      xx

      Delete
  6. I wish we had more adult learning classes that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I think I am going to check out Youtube to see if I can find some crafting videos that I might enjoy.

    Have fun with your courses, they sound very interesting.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are some good things on YouTube - well worth taking a look to see.
      Happy hunting.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Hello there, I popped over from Gnatbottomed Towers or Johnny Jumps up to say Hello!
    I love Hyde Hall. I wonder if the lovely Katrina Parris is running your Applique course as I believe she ran them there before. We adore her- she's an ex-teacher from Southend and we own 3 of her art works which are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kezzie
      I love Hyde Hall - I ought to go there much more than I do. We're so lucky to have an RHS garden so close by.
      It's a lady called Lynne Sharpe. I'm sure she is good too.
      xx
      xx

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you were somewhat able to get your fuzzy background. Some lens are limited in their capability. Go as wide open (lower # aperature) as you can to get that fuzzy background. It's one of my favourite techniques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not making excuses - I really do think it's a limitation of the lens and something to bear in mind for future consideration. You can only do what the camera/lens allows, after all. I do like the effect too.
      xx

      Delete
  9. Those courses sound really interesting. Re: kitchen fan! There is always something to be done in the home,isn't there? Our hallway AC heating refuses to spurt out hot air we are only getting cold so another thing to fix...sigh! We (grp of friends) are still waiting for the social centre to start up their adult learning courses programme. We had hoped they would start this month but they have been cancelled once again due to the massive increase in Omicron/Covid infections. I am lucky in that the social centre is right by my place and they are all free courses so I don't mind waiting. Take care. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from Omicron, of course, that sounds absolutely per4fect. Close by and free! Hopefully things will settle soon and they will all open up again.
      xx

      Delete