Sunday 29 September 2019

Sunday

Good morning!  The rain started yesterday evening and, as far as I can tell, it's been chucking it down most or all of the night.  It's still raining now and looks set for the rest of the day, according to the Beeb, so that'll be another blight warning pinging into my mailbox at some point.  Ho hum!

Yesterday turned out to be a lovely day.  I did a walk/jog to Morrisons early to pick up the paper for Dad and do my daily exercise at the same time and then, after breakfast, we set off for Oaklands Park and the museum.
There are some very interesting displays of the work of Marconi and Crompton (both based in Chelmsford) and, because Dad's degree is in engineering (mechanical and aeronautic) and because he had dealing with Marconi's in his job with British Aerospace (BAC then) well before I moved there, he really enjoyed them and told me a lot about his earlier days as a student and young adult as we looked round.
Then we went upstairs and looked at the bees after which Dad spotted the Essex Regiment museum part of the building so we had a good look around there too.
Finally, we looks around the first 'room', the one about Chelmsford (or the area, anyway) in prehistoric times.
By then, Dad was getting tired and a bit wobbly so we stopped, promising ourselves at least one return visit in the future.

The afternoon was spend in indoorsy things - difficult things like reading the paper and pottering in the kitchen!

Them in the evening, we watched Strictly.  I never realised Dad was a closet fan; they never watched it when I was around each fortnight over the last however many years and I used to have it on my laptop on my knee while they watched something recorded.  However, it looks as if it was Mum who didn't like it much, not Dad.  You learn something new every day, don't you?

It's another early start for me today - it's getting a bit boring really, all this waking early, but I know it goes in cycles so I just go with the flow!  Dad is as deaf as I, so I know I don't disturb him in the slightest!

We won't be going out again.  Apart from anything else, the weather looks like being bad, but I will be a bit busy as Beth and Dave are coming around for lunch with me and Dad.  I also want to get all the planning sorted for the week and get Tuesday planned - tell you about that when the time comes.  It's going to be a busy week all round as there are a few things organised and I'm off on holiday on Friday so have to be ready for that as well.  It should keep me out of trouble anyway!

Have a lovely day, everyone, and I hope the weather is better where you are.
xx

10 comments:

  1. Have a good day but I think the rain is really set in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a tiny fragment of sunshine before it darkened, the wind started up again and down came the rain. Just one of those days!
      xx

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your day. Another dark and rainy one here, but as we're going swimming it doesn't really matter. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - you will get wet anyway! Have a great swim.
      xx

      Delete
  3. How nice to find something new about your Dad after all these years Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have a lovely day with your Dad and your children. A family get-together sounds like the perfect Sunday. I hope your Dad has a safe journey home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very nice, thanks. Dad's safely home now.
      xx

      Delete
  5. I had to smile about your Strictly saga - I have had a similar enlightenment with my mum and dad - the kind that goes 'no it was always your dad that wanted to do xyz'. Have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parents, eh!! There's always something to learn about them.
      xx

      Delete