Sunday 8 September 2019

Sunday

Good morning, everyone.  It's just starting to get light out there with everything still grey with just a hint of colour emerging.  It feel jolly chilly too although the heating hasn't popped on so it can't be that bad.  According to the BBC, it's going to be a nice, sunny day today, although it won't go up to 20C all day so no sitting out in the garden.

Yesterday I popped into town on the 9:08 bus with a fairly substantial list.
First stop was M&S.  I had a good look at the new range of clothes (mostly yellows, oranges and browns with barely a pastel colour in sight) before popping upstairs to look at their sports bras.  Plenty to see but none in my size so I reckon I will probably order one online.  Then I had a good wander around the food hall (one of the pleasures of life, better than Harrods becauise I can afford M&S) where they had small sweet potatoes so I bought a couple as small ones are hard to find individually.  I also got some air freshener (I love their floral fragrances) and some pitta bread.

Then I wandered onto the High Street to look round the market.  To my dismay, the fruit and veg stall wasn't there - I wonder what happened to it - so it's just as well I got the sweet potatoes in M&S.  However, I had a nice chat to the spice man while choosing four spice mixes (they're cheaper if you buy four), reckoning that spice season never goes away and I really do enjoy a home made curry.  I didn't linger by the fish stall yesterday but I did get my new fortnightly treat, a loaf of wholemeal sourdough, which is now sliced and in the freezer.

I headed through the precinct which is the way to go to catch the bus back where there are a number of shops I wanted to visit. 

Boots first, for hand cream (periodically, I get dry and 'flaky' patches on my hands and it keeps it at bay) plus a few other bits and bobs.

Then I went into the Body Shop.  There's always such a seductively fruity aroma emanating from that shop and yesterday was no exception.  I actually wanted to get some shampoo and conditioner.  It's rather expensive but my hair loves it so now and again I treat myself.  Unfortunately, I was also drawn to other stuff, including more hand cream (gorgeous) and came out again not only smelling like a strawberry cream tea but with the potential to maintain that for a few weeks to come!  And my hands already feel a lot better again!

I searched and searched for the wholefood shop but, sadly, it has disappeared and the unit has been taken over by something else.  I'm gutted; it was a good place and not terribly costly either.  Such a shame.  So I went into the covered market to get some lentils and also some apples which I had intended to get on the market.  I should have known better - they were cheap, sure, but not terribly nice.  Oh, well.

And finally, I was so lucky - there was a number 56 bus waiting at the stop as I got there.

Once home, I had a joyous quarter of an hour dealing with my purchases before settling down for lunch.  The rest of the day passed smoothly just doing ordinary things.

Strictly has started.  I never particularly enjoy the first programme of the series.  I know it is full of the sparkle and glamour Strictly is noted for but it seems rather false, full of show-off celebrities (most of whom I have never heard of) and professionals who try to be delighted when really they're not necessarily so!  However, once that's over and the work starts, when one gets to know the dancers more, it becomes much more enjoyable.  For me, anyway.
(and I dearly love Anton - as do most grannies, I suspect!)

Today starts off with a swim and probably goes downhill from then on.  It's a bitsa day - a bitsa this and a bitsa that!
There's washing, ironing, tidying, planning, gardening, cooking, reading - all the normal stuff.
As it is definitely getting colder, I want to go through my winter woolies, checking for fit and also starting to decide what I will take with me to Center Parcs next month - in four weeks I will be there. after all!  Come to that, I also need to start thinking about what kitchen supplies I want to take and that requires a bit of meal planning too.

I'd better stop waffling on now and get the day started.  Happy Sunday to us all.  xx





12 comments:

  1. I'm not keen on the Strictly launch show either (it's recorded for a start, and it shows), although we did watch it. I do love Strictly, but they really scrape the barrel nowadays for 'celebs' - I'm guessing people are wary about the so-called Strictly curse. Or their other halves are! The 'celebrities' they have on now are mostly only known to those under 25 (so I don't know half of them!), or they're middle-aged hasbeens who want to revive their careers. Aljaz is my favourite, he's just so lovely and funny and smiley. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually like the sports men and women who take part - they are driven and work so hard. I agree that they must be having difficulty finding 'celebrities' who want to take part. Apart from what you say, it has to be a huge commitment in both time and effort.
    And yes, there was some clumsy editing at times yesterday - it does show that it's pre-recorded.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bit too much shrieking and gasping for my liking in the launch show but then it all gets better as the weeks progress.
    Saturday night cheerfulness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - and you can't fault the glitter and shine!
      xx

      Delete
  4. I have never watched Strictly - wouldn't know a celeb if they came up and shook my hand!...but then I don't tend to watch much TV - a bit of Vera or Endevour, any of the Back in time for series and I love the Victorian / Edwardian / Wartime Farm series. I like costume dramas but am not liking the new Stanton much. I will watch it but I think it is much removed from a Jane Austen novel really - they seem to have had to spice it up for the younger market - I can't believe Austen would have written anything with so much nakedness in or the line 'wouldn't know the difference between a p***k and a pencil'.
    It sounds like you have a nice place to shop - sad the wholefood shops gone - we have two here I try and support both of them as I would hate to see them go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not started watching Sanditon - I was put off by the blurb about it and, like you, thought 'that's not Jane Austin. I loved the Back in Time series and the farm ones too. They were great.
      Chelmsford has improved a lot in recent years. Now I quite enjoy a stroll around the centre.
      xx

      Delete
    2. Whoops noticed my error on the Jane Austen program name - good job you knew the real title and what I was referring too!

      Delete
    3. I never even notices. They say you read what you expect to read, don't they! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  5. I love Strictly but this is only the second launch show I've watched, it hasn't improved. Felt sorry for the chap who injured his foot and hope Oti will get a new partner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gather they have but I thought 'who?'. It's a disadvantage not watching soaps, I think. I felt very sorry too as he sounded so keen and might have gone far. I wonder if he will come back next year.
      xx

      Delete
  6. I watched Strictly back when it first started. We only watched one series and since then I occasionally watch the odd programme but it isn't a 'must watch' show for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not everyone's cuppa, I agree. And there are better things on the old box, especially this season.
      xx

      Delete