Sunday 21 April 2019

Sunday

Good morning.  A very Happy Easter Sunday to everyone, whatever this day means to you personally.

Phew - what a lot of lovely comments again.  I think I have replied to everyone but if I have accidentally missed anyone out, please forgive me.  You have all been so encouraging and uplifting that I feel very fortunate indeed.  Bless you all.

Well, I'm home.  A good journey it was too although there was more traffic than I had expected.  However, it was mostly local, short journey traffic with nothing slow moving and precious little big stuff so no problem.
There was an unexpected hold up in Sawbridgeworth which has a ground level crossing (which I am always rather wary of).  Something had gone wrong with the traffic control/level crossing gates (shudder) and the road was closed by a rapid response police car.  Luckily, I do know a couple of alternative routes so I just turned and took another way instead, very thankful that there had been no accidents.

Beth was here when I got home so we had a mug of coffee apiece while I enjoyed the warm fresh air from the open French windows.  Then I set to with unpacking, washing, drying (on the line - yay) and so on. 
I have some bits and bobs to sort out still.  Mum had a few bits of Wedgwood, nothing particularly valuable but it will look nice in the blue guest room and the pot without a lid (it got broken ages ago) will be perfect for some pot pourri - how old fashioned is that, eh?

One lovely thing - lovely to me, I mean - is that decades ago (I think more or less half my lifetime ago) I made a matching pin cushion and needle case for Mum using canvas and needlepoint stitches.  She loved them, always had them out and in use, took them to her tailoring classes where it was generally admired (she said) and all in all it was probably the most useful gift I have ever made.  Anyway, Dad insisted that I take them as he won't need or use them so they now have pride of place on the table beside my recliner whenever I do any needlework.  They're somewhat battered but in surprisingly good condition given their age and use and I'll see if I can show them off with a few photos at some point.

I did manage to do a bit more decluttering although not the books as Beth was busy in her work room and I'd have been in the way.  However, my bedroom is now that little bit tidier which can only be a Very Good Thing.

Downstairs, I sorted out all the stuff on the hooks in the hall.  Two things went to the Sally Army recycling as they are way too large now and one needs washing before it joins them, a couple of washable winter jackets are waiting to be washed and my good winter coat needs to go to the dry cleaners before being put away for the summer (although I am dithering about trying it on the very coolest, gentlest wash cycle my machine has - any advice?). 
At least now any visitors can hang up their coats easily!

I think I mentioned last week that I found a pile of useful knitting patterns in Mum's office, some of which I had been looking for at home for ages!  Well, I found the specific pattern I had wanted and took it with me to Letchworth on Monday with some yarn I already had.  It's not genuinely Aran yarn but it is Aran weight and much softer - quite nice, really, and the garment will be lovely to wear.
Anyway, I started on Monday and it is a measure of how well organised Dad is that I had enough spare time to finish the front and am half way through one sleeve.
I'm having to invent the sleeve as the ones in the pattern are clunky and bulky and packed with Aran whereas I just want moss stitch.  As it's a dropped shoulder pattern, it's not a difficult thing to create.
Dad laughed and said I would have to call it the Funeral Sweater.  Oh, dear!  :-)

On to today, there's a bit more washing and plenty of ironing to keep me out of trouble.  I want to do some more knitting as I catch up with some recorded TV and I want to declutter some more as well.  Beth will be round in the afternoon which will be nice and I have some planning to do.  The Easter break is nearly over and I have a couple of sessions tomorrow morning.  Yes, Bank Holiday, I know, but life moves on and it is parental request!

In between chores there will be plenty of time to relax and enjoy the predicted warm sunshine so I reckon it's going to be a lovely day.  I hope yours is too.  xx

8 comments:

  1. You sound bright and cheerful and full of ideas to fill your time so have a lovely Sunday and I hope things all go according to plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Diane. I'm hoping your day is just as good as I hope mine will be. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. I’m planning to carry on with the decluttering as I don’t want to lose the momentum, and also make a start on preparing packs of new music for next term at band.

    I hope your day goes well and you have time to enjoy the sunshine.

    There are recipes for the buffalo hot sauce online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good oh - thanks. I will investigating. May your decluttering be crowned with success - as the saying goes.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Happy Easter and I love your Dad's sense of humour!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds as if your Dad is coping well and you too.This good weather raises veryone's spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. Today is turning out as well as the morning promised and I feel relaxed. Nice feeling. :-)
      xx

      Delete