Friday 2 June 2023

Friday, 02-06-23

Good morning, everyone.  It's stupid o'clock and I've not slept all that well, mostly because of an over active brain.  It happens now and again and I will catch up tonight, I am sure; maybe before then, in fact, with some comfy chair snoozings!

Yesterday was absolutely lovely, one way and another.
Diane turned up and off we went into town.  There's no point paying two lots of parking - it's extortionate enough with just one car - so I drove.
We meandered happily over to the Quadrant (Co-Op under a different name) and found their travel agent section, only to discover that, much to our dismay, it's closed on Thursdays.  I mean, whoever closes on Thursdays?  Well, they do, obviously.
Drat!
We walked over to John Lewis as we expected it would have a travel agent there and it did but we had to make an appointment for a little later.  That was fine.

Diane needed to go to Boots so we did and then went into one of the retail areas as I was sure there was some sort of travel agents there, and so there was,  They were so very helpful and we came home with brochures and information to ponder over.

Then it was back to John Lewis where we sat through much the same sort of stuff only, because it was John Lewis, rather more expensive.  We finished off with coffee and my friend, David, from the Slimming World group and the person who organises our Saturday walks, cam in and over to chat for a short time.  That was very pleasant.

So we still have info to gather and decisions to make but we are loads clearer about what we do want now as well as what we don't want.  We might go back to Quadrant but I think Diane feels we probably have enough info now.

However - and this is what has helped with the sleepless night - Diane has booked a cruise over Christmas to see the Northern Lights (and loads of other stuff too) which looks absolutely amazing and I am giving it serious consideration.  Decisions, decisions!!

It was a good morning!

In the afternoon the sun came out and it was beautifully warm so, when Chris came over, we sat outside to chat.  It was just warm enough with a fleece or cardigan on and it was so nice to sit in the sun.
She brought over a couple of tomato plants (Gardener's Delight) which was very kind of her so, as soon as she'd gone, I set to and got them into pots and where I want them to go.  So now I really have got all the tomatoes I have room for so it's a case of being kind to them and waiting!

When I got home from town, there was a little parcel on the step.  Early yesterday morning, I saw that Sharon Blackman was posting about some cards she had made from prints of her own work (she stitches on fabric to create 'folk art' and I love her work).  I went over to her Etsy shop and ordered some, but didn't expect them to arrive so quickly.  She lives locally and had delivered them by hand, bless her.
Here's a link to her Etsy site.  The cards I brought are the top row, second along.  Very pretty and pastel and a pleasure to give and to receive.
(I love her Christmas cards too)

Anyway, long story short, in the parcel there was a plug for a folk art course at the local church hall (where I go for Groove) so I emailed and have enrolled on the course.  Three hours of absolute pleasure coming up the middle of June.

And the First Strawberry is no more.  Juicy and delicious and there are more on the way now.  I must keep an eye open for Lathcoats PYO announcements now.

Wasn't that a lovely day?

Today has started well too.  I checked my Premium Bonds and, yup, another win.  It's never huge amounts but every little helps and I've decided to start a 'Holiday Savings' account.  Not  real account, just in my YBS or reinvested in PBs with a mental label on it.  What is it called?  Sinking Funds?  No, I don't think that's it.  Anyway, I'm sure you know what I mean.  

It's Slimming World today, always good fun, and then I have a house to make cleaner friendly and some sleep to catch up on plus some clothes to wash, dry and iron.  I was umming and ahing about going into town again to stroll around and I might still do that but probably I'll leave it until Sunday or Monday.

I seem to have rambled on for ever so I'll stop and get this live.  Have a super day, everyone and, Sue, I hope it's a bit warmer your way today.  xx


19 comments:

  1. Congratulations on another win! What a great idea to use it as a holiday fund.
    And, talking of which, book the trip! A Christmas cruise sounds absolutely amazing.
    Thank you for the link to the Etsy site. I've bookmarked it to order some for myself, as the cards are beautiful. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does sound fantastic - the trip of a lifetime. I'm giving myself a few days to think it through.
      Sharon's work is delightful, isn't it? Very homey and 'comfortable'. xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link to Sharon Blackman's cards - arnt they gorgeous. I have popped some in 'my basket' already! I usually buy my cards online from www.whistlefish.com excellent quality and great price, in fact ordered 20+ yesterday! I will definitely add some of Sharon's for special friends. Thank you.
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad you like them. I've never heard of whistlefish - I'll take a look. xx

      Delete
  3. Joy, life is short and we only regret the things that we don't do. You will have an amazing time so go for it. I don't mean this to sound depressing but we never know what is round the corner health wise so we need to enjoy life while we are fit and able xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, thank you for the link to the etsy store, I've ordered two packs of gorgeous cards 🙂 xx

      Delete
    2. Lovely!! And yes, I've been telling myself this. Being lucky enough to have savings the question is not 'can I afford it?' but 'should I afford it?' xx

      Delete
  4. Choices, choices, choices! No wonder you couldn’t sleep! Enjoy choosing your holiday and the northern lights one sounds fab. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of tired now but I think the cleaners are coming earlier rather than later so I can then snooze if I need to. xx

      Delete
    2. My late father had savings and owned his own home. Sadly he developed severe dementia and spent his last four years in a care home. The savings all went, the house was sold and most of the money from that went in fees as well. He would have been broken hearted if he knew what happened and I wish so much he had used some of his money to enjoy life while he could.

      Delete
    3. That is a very good point, thanks, Hazel. xx

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the Etsy link - the cards are so pretty and original. I hope you manage to make some definite decisions soon, then you can really start planning x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's good fun thinking about the possibilities.
      Sharon's work is lovely, isn't it?
      xx

      Delete
  6. I love the sound of the craft course - you'll enjoy that very much I'm sure.
    The holiday, like other commenters I'm going to say - go for it, what a lovely thing to do x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will absolutely love it - it's just my sort of thing.

      It sounds a fantastic holiday - a very special experience. xx

      Delete
  7. What a great idea to start a holiday savings, that makes sense. Love the craft course and I am sure you will enjoy attending that.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will too - it's something to look forward to in the near future.
      xx

      Delete
  8. Setting up a holiday fund is a really good idea, Joy. I know our daughter has done that and she already has savings towards next years holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for her. It's nice to have it all saved up specifically, I think. xx

      Delete