Wednesday 28 June 2023

Wednesday, 28-06-23

 Good morning, everyone!  For once, it is a cloudy start to the day, really quite gloomy in fact.  The forecast doesn't show rain until coming up midnight but nor does it indicate any sunshine at all.  As always, we will see but I just hope that if we have rain, it is a decent amount.

I think this is the first year I am really quite happy with my little front strip (apart from the dreadful soil quality).  For ages, I have been intermittently working towards what my Mum achieved with her flower bed (much larger and much better but hey, who is comparing apart from me, eh?) which was to have patches of interest all over, all the way through the growing/flowering season so, as one plant finished, there was another nearby ready to catch the eye.
I seem to have got that in a much smaller way, starting with the bulbs, going through things like the bluebells and lily of the valley . . . and so on

At the moment, there's crocosmia starting to send out flower spires at one end, this lovely campanula in the middle (should be further back really but, as we're talking a matter of nine inches, I am not stressing) and moving sideways to something I don't know the name of (I'll post the photo under this one) and finishing with the confused dahlia on the right, which is still all leaf but the buds should come soon.

And then there's the pots of bedding flowers on both sides.
This is the unknown.  The flower heads are just starting to emerge.
Does anyone know?  I'd be grateful because Google Images wasn't much help.


And this is the newer of the pots, placed to cover the place where even the weeds find it hard going!!















Thanks for bearing with me while I meandered on above!  😉

Diane turned up at around eleven and we had a great time talking about all sorts of things including, of course, the Christmas Adventure.  We decided it would probably be a good idea to do some of our necessary shopping together but actually there's not a lot we need to get really so we'll plan that later in the year.

I didn't get any weeding done but I did make another loaf of bread (I'm trying out different flour combinations) which is now sliced and in the freezer and the downstairs did get a good tidy and clean so that's good.

Tomorrow and Friday are both busy days so today is going to be spent in prepping/planning for that.  Also, I WILL get that weeding and clearing done as it is brown bin collection tomorrow.  It will be much more comfortable to do today as it is so much cooler and no need to worry about sun block, etc.  I am good with that!
Time for coffee so I'll say goodbye and wish you a very happy and satisfying day.  xx


18 comments:

  1. According to my 'phone app your plant is Giant Bellflower, a campanula.
    It's cool and dull here this morning, too, and looks as though rain is threatening. I hope if it comes it's a good downpour! x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I didn't mean the first photo, I meant the second one. The first is definitely a campanula.
      A good downpour would be a wonderful thing for the garden. I do water but mostly the pots, not much on the beds (apart from the copurgette!) xx

      Delete
  2. That pot's looking good.
    My beds have no plan as I buy things, shove them in and hope they grow! Which as it's so dry again is a bit of a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - that's my sort of gardening too - nice and random! I quite fancy a couple of little clumps of ornamental grass, I think. Perhaps I will take a look next time I visit a garden centre. xx

      Delete
  3. Your garden patch is coming on lovely, if I was you would just continue to buy a few plants in pots and pop the pots into any gaps that appear ... something I've been doing in our back garden this year while I've been concentrating on the vegetables. If I see something colourful for a reasonable price outside the supermarket into my trolley it goes, and then straight into any gap in the garden as soon as I get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea . . . why didn't I think of that! Thanks, Sue. xx

      Delete
  4. Has the 'unknown' appeared as a perennial? it looks like a young choisya dewitteana, but I think they are evergreen. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a perennial, certainly not an evergreen. I'll post another photo once the flowers appear. Thanks, Cathy. xx

      Delete
  5. My plan has always been to visit the garden centre each month and buy a perennial in flower so I always have some colour in my garden. Have I carried that plan through? No, I really must take a leaf out of my own book! Your campanula looks lovely.
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - the trouble with visits to the garden centre (for me) is that I buy more than intended! You've given me an idea though - Lathcoats. At this time of year they have a small selection of nice garden flowers, very reasonably priced, outside the farm shop. I wonder . . . .
      Thanks. xx

      Delete
  6. It's all looking lovely! Maybe one day. Sigh. I'd like to plant a rose for Mum , but I'm not sure what would do good in the garden. I really need to get to the garden centre and ask if anything grows in our sort of weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a good garden centre locally, it's always worth asking, I think. Mum and Dad often did. Or I believe there are plant search facilities online. A rose for your mum sounds a lovely idea. xx

      Delete
  7. Your flowers look lovely. I really enjoy seeing how other's gardens grow, that is never boring in my mind.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. I find it interesting too. xx

      Delete
  8. I think that plant my be a liatris.

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, Peggy, I think that's right. Not only does the name ring a bell but I looked it up and the flower looks right too. Thank you so much. xx

      Delete
  9. Delicious home made bread! I haven't baked any in ages as I'm trying to cut back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have much but have decided that when I do, I want it to be the best I can give myself and, for me, that is wholemeal using a variety of flours/grains plus some mixed seeds. I always think that, yes, it is a bit more expensive and a bit of effort (not that much, mind you) but one would pay a fortune for bread like that in the shops.
      It's a shame I can't get on with sourdough!
      xx

      Delete