Wednesday 14 June 2023

Wednesday, 14-06-23

 




Beginning with a courgie update, there are now two siblings and I promise you, I did not plants the seeds as close together as those two.  I think this morning I must very gently have them both up and into other little pots and see how it goes.  I do have another largish container that one could go in for the summer (although I didn't have much luck with a courgette in a pot last year).  Big Brother seems to be doing fairly well - for now!




Good morning, everyone!  It's fresh, sunny, the skies are clear and the forecast is good.  Bliss.  The only blot on the landscape is the hay fever which, despite taking the meds, has been rather bad these last few days and isn't great this morning.  Just the usual itchy nose, sore and itchy throat, snuffles and sneezes and, most irritating of all, itchy ears.  So annoying.  I know some of you also have these symptoms in early summer (or at other times) so I know you will understand what I mean.  But it is what it is so no more whinges!

I found I had two loads of washing to do by the time I had included the tea towels, wiping cloths, etc, as well as clothes.  I got the first load out to dry before leaving for Groove, which I was pleased about, and the second load finished after I got home again.  It's now all ironed and just needs putting away.

Groove, as always, was brilliant.  Hot, mind you, even with the windows open and the curtains closed on the sunny side.  As always, Lindsey had plenty of helpful advice and explanations and took us safely through the dance sequences with plenty of opportunity for water and wiping down!  😊

Mel came round with my Avon order and stayed for coffee which we elected to have indoors as it was pleasantly cool.  Despite our difference in age, we seem to get on pretty well and, as I had her youngest in Y1 a number of years ago, it's always good to catch up on how they are doing.

And then, early in the afternoon, Jeff came round.  I'd dug out the garden implement I no longer needed, plus battery and charger and < patting myself on the back > the manual!  I didn't want any money for it so we agreed that come the autumn he would give me a couple of sessions of garden work to help get it cleared and sorted out for the winter which was very agreeable to us both.

It felt like a really good day.  Not too stuffy and humid and by bedtime the house had cooled down nicely.

Today starts with a shop.
At the beginning of the year, I decided to try for three shops a month instead of four plus . . .  It hasn't gone perfectly but I am managing fewer shopping trips with the resulting drop in the amount I spend - not a huge amount but noticeable.  I also think I am eating better again too, which is great.

So, today is a 'main shop' as opposed to a 'f&v top up shop' (I'm getting through plenty of fruit and veg at the moment) and I have a fair old list.  I think I'm going to M&S for fruit and veg, Aldi for certain other stuff and then back to Morrisons for anything left on the list.  And then, fingers crossed, that will do me until July or at least until nearly July.
I'm definitely not a super-saver/super frugal type shopper but I think I'm shopping much more thoughtfully and consistently now than I used to without going short in any way whatsoever.  So that's good.
However, it won't be as early as it usually is as I stayed in bed longer this morning, snuffling and sneezing and feeling slightly sorry for myself (only slightly!) and am still working my way through my social media 'responsibilities'.  Not to worry, I do have all morning so that is absolutely fine!

The other thing in the diary is my personal training session with Lindsey.  I'm looking forward to that!

In between shopping and training I'll do all the usual daily stuff - I think, maybe, change the bedding today as there have been some sweaty nights recently.   Just the usual boring stuff, in fact.

Better get on - take care, everyone and look after yourself in this hot spell of weather.  xx

12 comments:

  1. Well done on managing to do 3 shops. Prices have gone up so much so even though it feels like you're not saving a quarter of your usual spend, you're still saving money!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, and that has to be a good thing, doesn't it? I'm just back from the last shop and must motivate myself to get everything put away now. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Hay fever is a pain. I'm sure my father used to have it but he always called it a summer cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sympathise with him. Mine started as an adult and for a couple of years I thought I just had a bad cold that wouldn't go. They feel very similar, even down to the aches at times. I use to get conjunctivitis in the early years - thank goodness that doesn't happen any more.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I told you those pesky little Courgettes would germinate late didn't I. :-) Mine were very slow to germinate this year too, I almost bought another packet of seeds, thank goodness I didn't. Finding the way to shop that suits you is a really good idea and three times instead of four seems very sensible.

    I think hayfever is worse this year due to more gardeners and councils taking part in No-Mow May and now everything is being cut at once right at the height of a heatwave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed you did and you were right. it's now 75% success which is fine by me.

      I'd forgotten about no-mow May but I'm sure you're right. It certainly won't have helped, for sure. I guess I don't mind snuffling and sneezing in a good cause! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  4. Good for you cutting down on shopping trips, every bit helps.
    We are nearly at the stage of being able to pick some courgettes, soon we'll pick every day and still have too many but I do love them and last year froze some grated which I've used to cook off with some other veggies for soups.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very little bit definitely helps, that's for sure.
      My babies are a long way from producing anything but, like my cucumbers have, once they get going, it's a case of blink and it's grown an inch! Grated courgettes makes nice fritters too, don't they? xx

      Delete
  5. Around here if you leave your car door unlocked chances are someone has put a zucchini in it. So I have not planted any for the last couple of years.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < chuckle > That sounds very sociable indeed. Why buy when you can be gifted? xx

      Delete
  6. I'm finding unexpected seedlings popping up all over the place. I gave up on them and re used the compost then theyall sprouted in various pots and planters.. Now I have no idea what variety of squash, courgette, cucumber or melon they will turn into. It's going to be an interesting harvest when they eventually start fruiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting. It's all a big adventure at times, isn't it, this gardening lark!

      Delete