Monday 12 June 2023

Monday, 12-06-23

 Good morning, everyone.  It's Monday, start of a new week, most likely a pretty warm one although maybe not quite as warm as yesterday when it hit 30C in the morning and stayed there or above all day - and that was in the shade!

It was a good day though - it's so nice to feel warm and to be able to wear light, summer clothing after needing to wrap up for so many months.  Spring may have been a bit naff but summer has started well.
I waited until the evening to do my bit of gardening which mostly consisted of de-side-shooting and tying up the tomatoes and giving everything a good drink.

I thought it would be a good idea to take a video clip so you can see the whole garden, not just the selected best bits close up!  So here you go, from left round to right, taken from the French window, starting with the herb and foliage bed, panning up to include next door's climbing rose which is absolutely stunning right now and then continuing round to finish with my poor little olive which has died twice and come back to life.  It seems to be a survivor but it looks very ugly and I really do need to cut back all the dead bits - when I feel brave enough!

Anyway - back garden or, as one builder put it (before building it), glorified car park!!  It isn't, but I can see why he thought that when I explained what I wanted.


(and link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkiAnAfjHa0  )

The other thing I did yesterday was bake a loaf.  I don't get through loads of bread nowadays so I bake one when needed, slice it and pop it in the freezer.
I was a bit dismayed to discover that I didn't have enough bread flour, either white or wholemeal (I make wholemeal but my recipe uses some white too) so I used the rest of my plain wholemeal and then had to finish the weight off with some SR wholemeal.  It's all flour, after all, isn't it?
It made a lovely loaf, quite soft and with bags of flavour and I have only just remembered that I do have some oat flour on the top shelf - I might try more of a mix next time, just to see.  I always add a tbsp mixed seeds to my dough anyway - it's so good!

Today starts gently enough and I think I will carry on neatening up the garden before it gets too hot for comfort.  The sun started very hazily but is strengthening now so fingers crossed for another lovely day.

Later on it is Circuits at Shimmy Studio and today Chris is coming with me which is lovely.  I do hope she enjoys it as much as I do.

The rest of the day will be spent in all the usual ways - bit of cleaning, bit of keeping things tidy, bit of cooking, plus some sitting out in the shade with my Kindle and/or book.  Perfect.

Have a lovely day, everyone, and keep drinking that water to stay hydrated, OK?  xx

12 comments:

  1. Morning Joy. Looks like being another lovely day doesn't it. Don't forget the sunscreen. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in my bag! Good point, thanks, Cherie. xx

      Delete
  2. I love your kidney shaped raised beds Joy, thank you for sharing. I love looking at other people's gardens!!
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them. The walls of the beds are in sad disrepair at the moment but they're on the list of things to get sorted this year so, hopefully, by next year, they will look loads better. xx

      Delete
  3. A nice garden to wander round - everything's looking good, now x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's a good time of year for gardens, isn't it? xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely - I'm glad you are enjoying good weather now. I'm having a tired day as sleep didn't come easy last night, but really should be out weeding as the sprinkling of rain we've had has pushed up the weeds overnight!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite humid here too.
      Ditto this morning but we have just had the tiniest amount of rain and it seems to have lightened up a bit.
      Enjoy the weeding! xx

      Delete
  5. I am always amazed at how many plants you all manage to get into your gardens. Here for some reason we need grass. Nothing against grass but I really would like more plants.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most gardens worth the name do have a lawn as well. I used to - in fact, most of the back space was laid to very bad grass and it was a right mess plus a bit of a pain. When the children were little there was a swing unit on the grass with two swings, a rope and something else, can't remember what. It took up all the space but they had such fun on it.
      Plants are nicer though. :-) xx

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the reminder to stay hydrated. I have stopped drinking water with meals as a nutritionist said it diluted the digestive juices in your stomach. However, then I forget to make up for it after eating! Love your garden, so peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good with water but I do forget the sun block so now I keep one in my bag all the time, just to be sure.

      Delete