Monday 24 June 2019

Monday

Good morning, everyone.  After quite a dull day yesterday, the sun is shining brightly at the moment but will it stay that way.  Who know?  Probably not, according to the Beeb!  I'm enjoying it while it lasts with big windows flung wide open to catch the fresh air.

I ended up getting a lot achieved yesterday.
I started off by taking all the junk off the top of the high bookshelves in Beth's workroom (oh, the dust) and discovered several really useful things.  Fabric, yarn, patterns (I'd been looking for them!) and various items of haberdashery plus, would you believe, a computer monitor still sealed in its box.  What????
Then I remembered that a while ago, I got a new PC in a 'bundle' which included a monitor that I didn't really want because the one I already had was better.  The deal was a good one though so the monitor, still in its box, went on top of the shelves and was forgotten.
As it fortuitously happens, Beth really needs a new monitor so she has taken this one and our fingers are crossed that it is OK.  It should be, they don't change much and it is a flat screen one, not one of the old, almost cuboid ones.

The Beth arrived and we decided to carry on and give her whole room a sort out/ tidy up.  With limited space, things get out of order really quickly unless you are meticulous about putting things away and Beth takes after me in that respect, poor lass! 
Added to that, she took over quite a lot of Mum's sewing stuff and all of that never got sorted properly.
So it all came down, we had an almighty sort-out and up it went again.  Now the whole place looks so much better and will be much easier to work in again.  She has quite a big order to fulfil and needs a bit of order in her work space.  Now she has it.

Add to that the fact that we went through the remaining fabric in 'my' sewing cupboard downstairs, quite a lot of which is actually for Beth to use, and I now have lots of space in there, enough space to bring my few remaining sewing bits and bobs down from the blue room and to put away Mum's Bernina sewing machine, which I took over.

So I still have a messy airing cupboard but we did some good work, none the less.

Today is pretty busy too.
First of all I have a stack of books to take to school and I will take them before the TA parking slots get filled.
Then the cleaner comes (changed from Friday) and I will use the time for a bit of planning.
At ten, Beth and I are going out to find her a computer (but no monitor, fingers crossed) and to get some boxes for bobbins/sewing thread from Hobbycraft.  You would not believe how much sylko-type stuff we have between us now and it makes sense to keep them all together.
Back for lunch and then school for a couple of hours followed by tuition. By the evening, I will be very ready for bed, I suspect, but it will be a good day!

If time permits, the sort out thing today will be that poor airing cupboard.

Better stop and get going.  Have a lovely day, whatever you have planned.  xx

12 comments:

  1. A very busy day - hope all goes to plan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, thanks; there's a lot to pack in and I'd rather not back out of anything really!
      xx

      Delete
  2. I always feel much 'lighter' when I've tackled a big sort out like that. Good luck with the search for a computer for Beth and hope you are successful in making use of that rediscovered monitor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean. It's a good feeling.
      And thank you. I really hope so too, it would be a good saving.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Your comment about your mum's Bernina sewing machine brought back bitter sweet memories!
    I bought a cheap sewing machine having decided there was no way I could afford a Bernina Sport which was what I really wanted/ needed.
    It wasthe rufty tufty version which I needed to sew denim jeans etc for our boys.
    My parents came to stay a few days later and the upshot was that Mum came to the rescue ( she'd taught me dress making, knitting, cooking etc) and we exchanged the machine for a Bernina and a pair of left handed dressmakers'scissors.
    I still use the machine to this day and it has proved it’s worth even tackling boat covers.
    I remember that occasionwhich was about 45 years ago every time I use it, with a smile.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful memory. My parents bought me my first maching for my 21st - a good Viking Husqvarna, and it lasted me though both children and well beyond, saving me a fortune in clothes and in things like curtains and cushion covers. I still have it but something has shifted and it no longer works. It's also very old now (obviously - I was 21 in 1973!!) but sometimes I do wonder whether it is worth repairing. I must ask at Franklins.

      We owe such a lot to our lovely parents, don't we?
      xx

      Delete
    2. We certainly do.
      The only thing that I’ve had to have repaired on it was an adjustment to the foot pedal about eight years ago. It had become very jerky, now it's wonderful.
      You may find your Viking is worth repairing.
      Sue

      Delete
    3. I do think it is worth a go. It's the getting round to it really.
      xx

      Delete
  4. My mum had a Bernina too! I've got a 'mini' Elna Lotus, which I inherited from my MIL, after her sister finished with it. It's 48 years old and still works perfectly, never been serviced!! Mind you, it gets very little use! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that Bernina was the go for machine! Dad has said we are to put Mum's in for a service and he will pay. Very sweet of hime and it does probably need it!
      xx

      Delete
  5. Wow that sounds like a really productive day! Lots of sorting and tidying done. I should but I really can't muster the energy. The washing does call though...all that dirty camping washing. Fun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urgh - er, I mean, nice!!!
      I think you have to be in the right frame of mind to do that sort of thing, to be honest, and it does depend on the size of the task. I keep thinking guiltily about my garage . . . and shed . . .
      xx

      Delete