Wednesday 19 June 2019

Wednesday

Good morning, everyone.  After a fine morning (good drying weather), it poured yesterday afternoon and then drizzled on and off for the rest of the evening and, for all I know, through part of the night as well.  It's dry this morning but the ground is very wet and there's no need to water the pots.  The general forecast is for light rain and a gentle breeze but there's a warning of possible thunderstorms.  I suppose we might have had some storming overnight - it wouldn't disturb me once my hearing aids are out!

I got all my washing done yeserday, including my bed sheets which are now also nicely ironed and ready to put away.  I still have the darker washing to iron - jeans and the like - and that's a task for this morning.  I also have a messy pile of books in the living room that need taking to school but I'm not risking my back going again by lifting them, not yet.  Maybe Friday . . .

Apart from that, I frittered the day away really and it did help as, although there were still some ouches, things are definitely easier and without painkillers too while overnight it didn't wake me at all.  All good!

Today I have ironing and a couple of report things to write.  This afternoon, the lovely Sharon comes to work her usual magic with my hair and with Beth's and then, early evening, there's a governors' meeting so I must download the papers for that and read them.

As far as the garden is concerned, over the weekend, Dad offered me some fuchsia cuttings from a neighbour's bush (taken with her permission, I hasten to add).  It's an upright plant, not trailing, and is a 'wild' fuchsia that grows fairly tall and wide.  At first I said thanks but no thanks, not knowing where it could go as all my beds are full but then I remembered that, at the new garden centre, I had spotted a tall wooden container, part of the range I like and use and, as I'm always wondering how to introduce a bit more height into my garden, I had another think and said yes, please.  They won't be ready yet anyway as they have only just been taken and started off.
Something to look forward to for years to come.  That's something I love about gardens, they are promises for the future as well and pleasure in the present.

I do seem to be spending a fair old bit in the garden right now but never mind, I do get the reward of that ongoing pleasure.  Yesterday's little splash out was something I have been thinking of for quite a while - how to encourage little birds to come into the garden more (I can cover the strawberries!).  I've ordered a freestanding wooden open feeding tray after looking around for quite a while.  It isn't actually all that fussy and I wanted an open one because I have a little covered one but it's so well covered, the birds haven't spotted the goodies!  Once they get the idea with the open tray, I will try it again.
It's all go in the garden!

Have a lovely day and stay dry!  xx

14 comments:

  1. Don't think much gardening will be done today - if the forecast is right.
    Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, to be fair, it usually is. We tend to remember when it isn't!
      xx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. None here yet but it looks so dark and gloomy, there has to be plenty up there waiting to fell.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Ooh lovely, another bird feeder! You'll soon have those little birds in your garden.

    There is a very good 'Peckish' food mix, which doesn't sprout all over the place. I usually feed sunflower hearts, buggy nibbles for the fat and dried meal worms, for protein. I wouldn't bother with nijer seed, which is supposed to be a favourite of goldfinches, but mine always ignore it and go for the sunflower hearts. Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted, can't help having my RSPB hat on ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not preaching at all, that's exactly the sort of thing I need to know. Where can one get this non-sprouting bird mix - from RSPB? Just what I want. Thank you. xx

      Delete
    2. Lots of Garden Centres have it, I've also seen it in Homebase and Waitrose and pet food stores.

      RSPB usually have lots of different bird food in the shops in their nature reserves, or you can purchase online.

      I use hanging feeders from the RSPB (the ones that can be taken apart for cleaning) with squirrel guards, which also keeps the larger birds and pigeons off the feeders. Corvids and pigeons/doves just hoover up everything. Birds are very messy eaters and scatter the food everywhere but it all gets eaten up by the ground feeders.

      Hygiene is really important to prevent diseases, greenfinches have suffered a lot in the last few years with some horrible diseases.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for all the info. I can see I need to explore a bit.
      xx

      Delete
  4. It's widdling down here and looks so wet that it has probably rained for hours. My poor garden is starting to look very soggy. At least we don't need to worry about watering it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Even the 'summer weekend' we were promised didn't last all that long.
      xx

      Delete
  5. We had rain overnight so the ground is too wet even if I felt up to spending some time in the garden.

    I have plans for a fuchsia for my garden ... it was my mum's favourite plant so it'll be a beautiful reminder of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a beautiful thing to have, as a reminder and also because they are just lovely anyway.

      Delete
  6. We love feeding the birds here. We have a big feeder outside the kitchen window and two more outside the living room window. The cats enjoy them from the inside also! When the parents show up with the baby birds they can certainly clean the feeders out quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I will see a lot more birds soon. I always love it at Dad's - they have a feeder hanging from their tree and it is alway being used. It's fun to watch.
      xx

      Delete