Wednesday 26 June 2019

Wednesday

Good morning everyone.  When I wrote yesterday, the forecast was for storms between eight and ten.  The sun came out so I checked and it had changed to storms and heavy rain all afternoon.  Certainly, it got very black and extremely humid and felt very threatening but no rain, not a drop and then out came the sun again!  Weird.
Right now, it's dark and gloomy with a breeze so maybe something is blowing up but it's all very odd and a bit disappointing.  I was looking forward to a good storm.

Yesterday was much easier.  I drove over to Jackie's and we had a good chat/catch up.  She's just home from a holiday in the States, a sort of coast to coast coach holiday which she thoroughly enjoyed and it was great to look at her photos.  We went for a walk and never stopped chatting - my throat was really dry by the time I got home.  As something of a world traveller, she was able to advise me as to some things I need to do before France.

The afternoon was spent planning and then doing bits and bobs of housework.  The airing cupboard is now very neat and tidy, although I was gobsmacked at how many towels I have!  I've put a couple out for repair (the ends have unstitched) and a few out for the Sally Army.  Nothing wrong with the towels but I don't need them and the bedroom I bought them for is now Beth's work room so . . . not needed.

Today, Jeff is coming at eight to start work on the little patch of gravel at the front that is really weedy.  I sprayed them a few weeks ago on a very still day and they have now died off and what he's going to do is remove the existing dull and bogstandard gravel, cover it with membrane and then cover that with some of that nice bluish flat slate that won't keep rolling away.  I think it will look loads better when it's done.

After that, the diary is empty until Slimming World this evening.  I have a stack of washing to do (the first load is already in) and must get things sorted for the weekend away at Suzanne's (the friend who is giving me that lovely holiday in France in August - well, not giving, but invited me).  I've Googled the route and must remember to pay the toll online for the Thames crossing . . . in fact, I will do it now (if I can) . . . hang on.

Well, that was easy!  Two crossings paid for.   Blimey, it ain't half expensive though.  The last time I did the crossing, it was still money in the bucket and long holdups.  Hopefully paying like this has sorted the worst of the queues!

As I am more than a bit neurotic about driving to places I have never been before, I have looked it up in meticulous detail and it looks fine until right at the other end and by then the sat nav will be on it so it should be OK.  Must remember to take some printouts though, just in case.  Another job for today!

The bird table is out and I have seen a grand total of two visitors, a pigeon (not wanted but I suppose even pigeons have to eat) and a very dashing magpie.  I really wanted little birds, not big ones, but never mind, at least someone - something, I mean - has discovered it!  At the moment, it is as far from the house as I can manage, which isn't all that far, and in the shelter of a bush in a pot and the shed.  I'd like it nearer but am thinking get them used to it first and then gradually move it further away.  Is that OK, Annabeth (as my residential expert!)
And, again at Annabeth's prompting, I have realised that the peanuts in the cylindrical feeder are pretty old so I will pop out to the garden centre this morning and get some fresh ones.

Today's clear out (weather permitting) is the shed.  Not the whole shed, that's way too daunting, but I thought if I have a target of chucking out ten bits of rubbish each day (that's how bad it is right now), I should start making some inroads without too much hassle.  Once some of the rubbish has more or less gone, I can start sorting and re-organising the stuff that isn't rubbish.  Something of an ongoing project here.
And then it will be the garage!

I'm dreading SW this evening.  Last time I was at Dad's (not last weekend but the one before), my eating was horrendous, I put on loads and have struggled to lose it all, failing miserably.  No, not miserably, I have lost some but not enough to avoid showing a gain tonight.  I'm not going to duck out though; I couldn't go last week because of governors' meeting so it's important that I go this week.
The weekend with Suzanne will be fine.  She messaged me to ask what sort of things I could/didn't want to have and, as she's very slender and elegant (always was), my weekend eating will be fine, I am sure.

Well, I do seem to have taken ages to say not very much so it's time to wrap things up and get bathed and dressed before Jeff arrives.  Have a great day and enjoy yourselves.  xx




12 comments:

  1. This all sounds lovely and it is very exciting about the trip to France and your weekend away. Have a wonderful time!
    Love, S.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, S - I am so looking forward t it all.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you have everything under control and I think your slate will look lovely I have 6 tons of purple slate in the back garden and it doesnt wander about like gravel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my hope. He's done what he could in the hour but ran out of slate so he's going to finish it off next week.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Once birds are used to a particular area of food source they will come, my feeders are very close to the house now, in the open, and I have a cat. Chloe can't sneak up on them because they can hear and see her as soon as she jumps out of the cat flap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same problem with magpies and pigeons on the bigger open flat feeder. The smaller birds when they came seemed to prefer the protection of the caged feeders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something else from you today to ponder on - thanks very much.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you have a good day planned, Joy! My husband and I are just back from traveling to another state to see my family. We were away four days and it is always great to be back home! I'm glad your friend enjoyed her visit to our country. A coast to coast bus trip sounds busy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very busy but she loved it! She was still a bit jet lagged yesterday - it does take time to get over it, doesn't it?
      I'm glad you've had a lovely time too and I agree, getting home again is fantastic.
      xx

      Delete
  6. You sound much like me. Although my trusty sat nav has never let me down, I do like to prepare for any eventuality when driving somewhere new. And yes, the online crossing payment does make things much easier. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so understand! I even 'google-drive' the junctions! Daft, maybe, but I feel safer. I'm glad to know the crossing is easier now.
      xx

      Delete