Tuesday 4 June 2019

Tuesday

Morning, everyone.  Fine weather seems to be the pattern at the moment and today is no exception.  No rain is forecast although it may not always be sunny; I think I will do my sheet change today and take advantage of good drying conditions.

After a good journey home with only the usual holdups, my two questions were answered - yes, there were strawberries and Beth had also picked some on Sunday and enjoyed them very much but no, the runner beans have not sprouted yet.  If they don't get their act together, I will be popping down to that newly discovered garden centre to get some little plants.  I HAVE to have runner beans.

The bad thing was that the moggy had left another little message, pesky thing.  I keep thinking of the rhyme we used to snigger over as children and which I was often tempted to use in phonics as an example of different ways to write the long 'i' phoneme.

Little birdie flying high
Drops a message from the sky
Angry farmer wipes his eye
And thanks the Lord that cows don't fly

(but I never did)
Anyway, the anti cat pellets are down now (and they stink)

The best thing was how much things had grown in two and a half days of warm weather.  The tomatoes are inches taller and needed to be tied up.  All the new plants have settled, the red pepper has flowers, the new geranium has flowers (as does the older one), the lupin has two spires of flowers and even the little fuchsias have buds.

The older geranium

The lupin

The new geranium

And one of the new fuchsias

To my delight, the pea pods are fattening up.  It's a jolly expensive way to have peas, buying them in a pot like that, but never mind, they will taste wonderful!  Must do the same again next year but grow from seed.  It might be worth planting several pots-worth. 

I got the lavender in but left the rest for today.  I have to say, I think June and July show my little garden at its best.  After that it tends to get a bit overgrown and seedy but right now it's a pleasure to look at, full of life, colour and promise.

I did my bit in school.  There was no homework to stick in straight after half term so I got on with photocopying all the sheets for next year's phonics homework and pretty much got that all done.  The file is now bulging at the seams and I might pop in later on in the week to replace some of the plastic pockets as they are in dire condition.

After tuition (fun, as usual), the evening was my own.  I meant to do ironing but after I'd had dinner, I was so tired I dozed off and ended up having an early night.

Today is a busy morning and a lazier afternoon and evening.  I have to whizz off to be at a shop when it opens at nine, to pay a bill and then, at nine thirty, a friend might be over for coffee and a chat.  Then I need to just check over my tuition planning and do some washing, change the bed, etc - usual householdy stuff.  I have recipes to make up and some meal planning to work on, plus a bit of garden stuff and some decluttering.  That last seems to go on for ages without any noticeable effect but I suppose one day it will all just fall into place.  Ho hum!

I'm hoping the weather is good where you are and that you have a really pleasant day.  xx



8 comments:

  1. Weather forecast is downhill after today - depressing although I ought to get housework done so maybe a good thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drizzle and showers forecast here - just as well I have inside jobs to do today.
    Your garden looking very summery - I am not bothering with peas in a pot this year - other than sweet peas as they didn't work very well - the pods seemed to just shrivel as they grew - probably lack of watering whilst we were on holiday.
    Enjoy today x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm watering mine a lot and hoping. It was worth a go, anyway. Actually, I must feed them today.
      xx

      Delete
  3. We're supposed to have rain for the next week but it's still dry and sunny at the moment so I'm hoping for showers rather than heavy rainfall, at leat until I get the membrane laying finished.

    Hope the pellets deter the cats for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I - no offering so far but I am sure cats are not so easily deterred!
      Good luck with those plans. It's chilly here - well, chilly in comparison to the weekend anyway.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Absolutely lovely! I so enjoy reading about your day and all that you are doing! It is boiling hot here in Germany - sadly - but it is the summer so to be expected.
    Have a lovely day!
    Love, S. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, S. I remember you've said before how hot it can get. Maybe it will cool a bit soon.
      xx

      Delete