Monday 3 June 2019

Monday

Good morning, everyone.  It's not exactly sunny outside but it is bright so fingers are crossed for an OK day today after a bit of rain yesterday late afternoon/early evening (great for the garden).

I really was in a bright and breezy frame of mind yesterday morning - it's something I'd love to be able to bottle and sell to make my fortune!  It lasted too; I enjoyed yesterday very much!

I went out early to start on the weeding and worked steadily through, just stopping for loo breaks and a drink of water.  It wasn't too hot, it wasn't too cold, it was just perfect out there and I managed to get all the side and across the back done (which is what was needed).  It was terribly overgrown although steady ongoing work by Mum in past years meant that there weren't too many weeds.  Give them a few years more and they would have taken over though!

This is a task I can take on once I get to Dad's every fortnight.  I've been looking for something since most of the things I used to do are now in hand and done.  Keeping those two strips in good order will add to Dad's quality of life.  He's been a fine gardener, ever since he was a little boy being 'mentored' and taught by his grandad and those strips were bothering him.  He has a gardener for most of the garden - it is a very big garden - but that particular bit wasn't a priority.  I can make it mine!

Here's some of M's vegetables.  Looking good, I think.


After lunch, we set off to Bickerdikes.  It wasn't as crowded as we thought although there were plenty of folk there, and the plants were lovely.  Dad mutters about prices but they're not particularly expensive, no more than anywhere else really.  He was looking for a clematis as the Nelly Moser he has had for decades is now on her last legs.  She flowered this year but the flowers are washed out and not a great colour and the plant is generally not great.  I'd told him about my Ooh La La and they had some in stock so that's what he got.  He also bought a lovely, bright leafed heuchera to go under a tree where it looked a bit bare after I had cleared it.


Here's the clematis waiting to be planted and the heuchera in its for ever place, one hopes.


As for me, I was very restrained and just bought what I went for, an old fashioned lavendar with that wonderful fragrance they have plus some anti-cat pellets.  I also have, in a bowl of water ready to wrap in newspaper and bring home, some lily of the valler, one hellebora and a bit of euphorbia, gleaned from my weeding and clearing.  I had a euphorbia from Mum but it died after a few years so this will replace that one, the lily of the valley will join the other bit round the front and the hellebore will be in a container (I think I said most of that yesterday but never mind!)
Here's what I came home with.  The cat had left another little message so the pellets are now down (and they stink!)

I'm back home this morning, leaving right after the milk run.  I'm wondering two things - will there be any strawberries and have the runner beans come up yet?  Fingers crossed.  Apart from that and the usual 'back home again' stuff, I have school this afternoon and then some tuition.  I think I am up to date with my planning but still need to go through everything.  This evening is free but I will have ironing after the weekend away and some telly to catch up on.


Have a super day.  xx

12 comments:

  1. Lily of the valley are one of my Mum's favourite flowers, we had a whole bed full of them in a childhood home - they do spread a lot, don't they?! Your Dad will be so pleased after all your hard work. Hope you have a good journey home. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise how invasive they are. It does take a bit of time for them to get going though and I can control them round the front. Dad did seem happy with what I'd done which is nice.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I tried for ages to get lily of the valley to take in my garden with no success then I took a piece from a friends house and away it went I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that strange. I have no idea why - did you put them in the same place?
      xx

      Delete
  3. I had to tame our lily of the valley it had spread everywhere - but cannot get bergenia to take off - strange isn't it?
    It was rain on and off yesterday here I felt like the weatherman popping in and out of the house!
    Have a good day - I am rushing now to get to yoga after my shower - will pop back later to see the photos. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been able to get lily of the valley to grow in my garden, let alone spread!

    Your dad's garden is looking good so well done to M for his hard work. Have you made a decision on your allotment yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naah - I'm putting it off. It'll keep.
      xx

      Delete
  5. The garden looks lovely! I don't mind weeding but find it particularly hard on my knees and back (gosh, I sound really old lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < grin > It is hard on parts of your body, I know. My shouldres ache today!
      xx

      Delete
  6. The garden looks great. I love to see nice neat rows of vegetables. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too and it's nice to see the variety again. Dad used to but it's just a bit much now and in recent years he has limited it to courgettes, runner beans, broad beans and tomatoes.
      I do love my Dad's garden but I'm glad I don't have the responsibility for it.
      xx

      Delete