Sunday 30 January 2011

Sunday afternoon and a recipe

The lentil and cheese wedge is absolutely gorgeous so here is what I did.

Ingredients
8oz red lentils (must be red - OK, orange - as they need to cook to a mush)
375 plus mls stock (I bunged in a good spoonful of Marigold low sodium bouillon and then added water as needed, starting off with 375 mls. I found it required more . . .
One finely chopped onion, softened in a little oil or butter. I did this, but I reckon you could cook the chopped onions with the lentils in the stock and pass on the oil.
4oz extra strong mature cheddar, grated
1 beaten egg
seasonings. I used vegetarian friendly Worcestershire sauce, a dollop of Dijon mustard, some tabasco and some black pepper. Check before adding any salt as I find even the low sodium powder is salty enough for me now that I've stopped cooking my vegetables in salt, etc. But you could add anything you fancied really. I think curry would be tasty, or herbs.

Method.
Preheat the oven to 180C
Wash and pick over the lentils, then place in a saucepan with the stock powder and 375mls water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer, stirring frequently, until the lentils are fairly soft and the water has been absorbed. Add more water if necessary.
At the same time, cook the chopped onion in a little oil or butter until softening. Or, as I said, cook them with the lentils and save the oil and a messy pan!
Stir the onions into the lentil mixture and allow to cook for a short time.
Then stir in the cheese and seasonings and taste, adjusting seasonings to taste.
Finally, add the beaten egg and mix very well.
Pour the lot into a lightly oiled quiche type dish (mine has a loose bottom) and bake for about 35 mins until firm.
The recipe says to serve six.

I've made it and had a slice (I cut it into eight so the slices are small) - well, I had to, didn't I? It's delicious!

It's vegetarian but not vegan. It could be jazzed up with some cooked meat - ham, bacon, chicken or whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment