Friday 7 January 2011

Friday evening

. . . and rarely have I been more glad that it's the start of the weekend. I'm shattered.

It's ridiculous. Three days, one day of which has been non contact, and I've had it! Am I getting old? I'm sure I used to be able to bounce my way through the week and be sorry that the next day was Saturday. I'm sure I used to leap out of bed each day rejoicing in the teaching day to come. I still look forward to it all but somehow there's a bit of a time lag there. I just hope that what I have lost in downright energy I have gained in wisdom and experience.

So today? Well, it was an interesting day, for sure. I can't go into details, but I learned a lot and got plenty done, one way and another. I had a great 'opinion-share' with the other teacher who has shared SEN responsibility, the contents of which shows that we are - er - more mature now! I worked with some children. I started a referral form.

All of that aside, my abiding memory of today will be of one little lassie who sidled up to me during Golden Time (I was working on the laptop just outside the open plan bay).

'I do love you, Mrs Clark' she said putting her little hand in mine. You know, those six words made all the difference. I feel a glow of pleasure and satisfaction now, just thinking of it. There's a lot of discouragement in teaching, a lot of frustration, a lot of feeling hopeless and useless and wondering if you've made any difference at all.
But when a little lady (or a little laddie) says that - well, it makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it?

And now it's the weekend. I hope we all have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment