Tuesday 6 October 2020

Tuesday

 Morning, everyone.

I had a great journey up to Thoresby Hall.  Five minutes to the A1, ten minutes off the A1 to the hall t'other end and the traffic was pretty light for such a main road.  No holdups whatsoever which was absolutely amazing.  I was a bit early but they were letting cars in so I had a little explore before unloading.  I've brought far too much, of course.  Next time I will know better.  

After unloading and unpacking, first of all I scoffed some of the goodies left for me in the room and enjoyed a cuppa coffee before pinning down certain essential services!  I found the pool and got a sheet explaining how it's all organised.  My fond hopes of an early morning swim were dashed when I learnt that the pool opens at 8:30, exactly when I have breakfast booked, and ditto for the evening as it closes at 4:30.  Never mind, there are plenty of other times.

Then I got connected up - very important - although I don't seem to be able to work out how to connect my phone.  Not to worry, I will have another go later.  It's not the end of the world; laptops are far more important.

And then I located where I'm eating.  Never say I don't have my priorities!  :-)

Finally, I went for a walk around and got semi lost - and by that I mean I couldn't find where I left the building to get back in but there are other doors!  I took some photos, of course.

For guests who refuse to obey the Covid 19 restrictions, perhaps?
It really is a very attractive place.  I wonder what its history is.

I'll be exploring some of these, for sure.
I am presuming a family pets' graveyard.  They are very old.
There's not much to see in the gardens now but it will be beautiful in the summer months.








Dinner was OK.  I wouldn't say it was anything special but it was nice.  A starter of a mini deli platter, followed by katsu curry with rice and prawn crackers and a cheesecake for dessert.  All nice, just a shame the curry had an overwhelming taste of leaf coriander and I'm one of those unlucky people to whom leaf coriander tastes of soap.  Oh, well . . .

I sat in the 'Big Hall' after dinner and listened to some cabaret.  Nice, bluesy, easy listening stuff and the pianist was great in an understated way.  I will maybe go back there again this evening.


So - what to do today?  Shall I swim and chill in the morning and explore in the afternoon or t'other way round.  Or there's a trivia quiz, an organised afternoon stroll, some line dancing ('we'll teach you some steps . . '.) and a multimedia quiz.  Oh, and a pre dinner cabaret.
Decisions, decisions!

(must locate the Pavilion Theatre)

Such a hard life, isn't it!
(and yes, I'm awake at stupid o'clock but it doesn't matter.  I have coffee . . .)


18 comments:

  1. Morning Joy, I was awake at the same time! What a lovely place, inside and out, you're going to have a wonderful time. I look forward to sharing it with you this week. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning, Sooze. This is the life - no housework, no dishwasher to empty, no tuition to plan. Just lots of fun things to make decisions about. I could easily get used to this, you know! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. So nice to get away from the routine mundane chores to such a lovely place. have fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, thanks, Diane. It's lovely and I'm already thinking about when to come again - there's not enough time to do everything and I'm not too far from places like Haddon Hall, the Great Oak, etc.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Sounds very luxurious - enjoy it all

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joy - perhaps more for a summer visit, but there are some lovely footpaths to walk around Budby Pumping Station, which is just a couple of miles from you at Thoresby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be coming back again so thanks. Another one for the list! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  5. It sounds lovely and you will have lots to do while you're there, hopefully the rain will hold off and you can enjoy the grounds a bit more. It's a shame the pool opens at breakfast time, I would have thought an early swim would have been favoured by lots of guests.

    How are the posh pot noodles tasting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have thought so but never mind. It's not a problem.

      Today's (satay rice noodles) is very tasty.
      xx

      Delete
  6. I really am having a lovely time.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all sounds wonderful. I hope the weather improves so you can enjoy some walks in the grounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I th8nk I've been lucky so far. Tomorrow (Thursday) doesn't look great but after than it seems better. Fingers crossed.
      xx

      Delete
  8. Looks like a wonderful place to stay. Enjoy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very pleasant indeed. loads to do and such pleasant surroundings.
      xx

      Delete
  9. Looks beautiful! Hope you enjoy your stay. I'm really jealous and shall live through your postings and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful building. Enjoy your stay. X

    ReplyDelete