Saturday 5 October 2024

Saturday evening, 05-10-24

Good evening, everyone!  It's been another lovely, sunny Autumn day today.  I'm loving this short spell of fine weather and tomorrow looks quite promising, albeit not exactly warm.

I thought it was more than a bit ironic that just after I bought the lamb for the christmas dinner, I started getting emails from Kelly's regarding their wonderful Kelly Bronze turkeys which I have bought for years and years.  I always used to order it over the half term break and carried that habit on into retirement.
They do some delicious turkey sausages and rolled turkey breasts that cut into three or four smaller joints so I may very well invest in a few other bits and bobs - I will go on-site and see what they have and for how much.
(They're not cheap!)

Well, today has passed usefully enough.  I did the online SET class and felt much better for it.  I did the usual wiping down, cooking, etc.
Then I sorted out what I now think of as 'animal protein' in the freezer - meat, poultry and fish, wrote down what I had and, to my delight, managed to get it all into one bag.  Excellent!
The freezer does need a bit of a defrost but it's a bit too warm at present.  I scraped some frost off and that will have to do for now.

As I'd promised myself, I did a bit in the garden.  Not loads, just a bit at a time.  It's a small garden, it won't take long.

I sorted out the tomatoes in pots which were definitely over.  The fruits weren't ripening and the leaves were dying.  So four plants gone this side . . .
. . . and three gone this side with a pile of rather bedraggled green tomatoes inside on a tray.  I can hope and if not, maybe chutney.

I need to wash the pots and sweep where they were standing when all the mud has dried up.  Maybe tomorrow morning?.

The runner beans are next for the chop and sorting out the mint in pots.
I cut the lavender right back so that is all sorted and I dead headed.  There's not much left of the Japanese anemone flowers now but they have been gorgeous this year.  I'll let them die back a bit more before cutting them back to the ground and thinning them out a bit.

When I have done that, I can put the bulbs out.
There's still plenty of colour though.


The dahlias are still looking gorgeous although the confused one round the front is very tatty and messy now and needs seeing to.  Again, maybe tomorrow.  

It wasn't quite four but the sun was lower in the sky and it was getting a bit chilly so I came in feeling satisfied.

It's Saturday so Strictly evening.  Wonder who will get the chop this week seeing as Nick has a bye, poor chap.  He does seem to have been plagued by injury and one wasn't even dancing related.
And I am so looking forward to hearing what Chris has to say to Craig this week.  That man must have Diane in fits of laughter during rehearsals.

Time to stop and send, I think.  Beth and Alex are here tomorrow so I must get a small joint out of the freezer before I forget.  And Strictly has just started!

I hope your Saturday has been as peaceful and satisfying as mine has been.  Sleep well and sweet dreams.  xx


4 comments:

  1. Just about to start watching Strictly so that I can fast forward through the bits I don’t like. Busy day on chores for me so glad to sit down now. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some great dancing this evening, I thought. xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lovely day. 😀 I don't watch 'Strictly' but can't imagine how a blind man will cope. I might watch, just to find out. I find Chris Causley very amusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's more than coping - it is so very impressive. xx

      Delete