Saturday 19 November 2022

Saturday

 Morning, everyone.  It's too early to see what the weather is but yesterday was beautiful with wall to wall sunshine, pretty much.  What a contrast to Thursday!  The Beeb seems to think that today will be dull and a bit damp - and cold!  We will see.

Well, I finished it!  I wasn't able to get a good angle for the photo as it's not a big bedroom and the light isn't great but you get the idea.  I had it on the bed overnight and it was really lovely and cosy.  I thought it might be too heavy but it wasn't, not at all.

Making that has reduced my DK stash considerably although I still have plenty, in darker colours.  I'll have to think about what to make with them.

Also, I have loads of chunky/Aran weight yarn and also 4 ply and sock weight.  I've really enjoyed making the blanket but I don't need another one.  I could maybe use some of the chunky to make one for the Sally Army drop off - yes, perhaps I will.  It will grow faster, won't it and if I make it the same size, it will be big enough for either a single or double bed.

As far as knitting is concerned, Cherie has inspired me to use the entrelac knitting technique to make a scarf for myself after seeing her beautiful creation.  I have some rather posh yarn called 'Smoothie', I think, although I will have to check that.  It's lovely and soft, almost silky-like and is a dark grey so will go nicely with all my coats, etc.  I've had it for ages; I think it was reduced in a sale.
If you're not sure what entrelac is, here's a YouTube video that shows how to do it.


I did some more sorting out yesterday and, again, it was more a case of reorganising than throwing out.  I've now got a nice big space in the over the stairs cupboard in the small bedroom so, I think, in January I might use that space for all my festive bits and bobs, freeing up more useable space in the guest room.  

Slimming world was good, as usual, and I have got everything needed for tomorrow's cook-fest except for plain flour - I thought I had plenty but I don't, darn it.  So that's a walk to Morrisons at some point today!

I have a couple more cupboards earmarked for sorting today.  They might be a bit more tricky but we will see - I am pretty sure I can free up some more space which would be good.

Some of you might remember that this time last year we had a discussion about how I could 'commemorate' my lovely Dad's birthday which was today.  Mum's birthday is Christmas Cake Day, of course.
I had written:
"I guess I will be thinking about Dad a bit more today as it would have been his birthday today.  He would have been ninety three and I'd have probably gone up for the weekend with a cake and cooked him his favourite steak and chips dinner.  He loved a well cooked steak (medium rare) and I worked on improving my steak skills so I could do them for him.  Mum always overcooked them, he said!  :-)
Happy memories."

Cherie answered:
Why not have a 'dad's dinner day' Cook yourself a nice steak and open a small bottle of wine. Raise a glass to your lovely dad. x

. . . and lots of you agreed with her so that's exactly what I am going to do.  I have a nice piece of fillet (lavish!!) steak, some corn on the cob from my garden (in the freezer), one of those tiny bottles of red wine and I will make chips.  Today is officially Dad's Dinner Day!  Woo hoo!

Well, I'd better stop now and get into Facebook to do my admin duties there before starting the day by tackling one the cupboards>
Do you feel the urge to sort things out before Christmas?  Or are you one of those wonderful people who deal with stuff before it gets to mega-sort-out stage?  
Take care, have a great day and stay happy!  xx



21 comments:

  1. Wow Joy, what an amazing bed cover. It really is beautiful and shows the fabulous colours off being crocheted cross wise on an angle. You are so clever. My friend crochets and made me a lovely long line cardi for my birthday two weeks ago. I am a knitter both hand and machine. Another cover for the Sally Army is a great idea or how about smaller lap size ones for a local care home. I am sure they would be most welcome this winter.

    May I be the first to wish you a special 'Dad's Dinner Day' and a day filled with cherished memories.

    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Suze, for your lovely comments above. Doing smaller lap sized ones is a great idea - I think that is what I will do - they will be easier to handle.
      I love knitting - what are you making at the moment? xx

      Delete
    2. Oops you can see I am a newbie at this - I posted my reply to someone else! Sorry!!
      Suze x

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous blanket ! Ive only got a small stash now as have been making twiddle cubes for local autistic children which have been much appreciated . Have a special dads dinner day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. I've seen those 'twiddle cubes' - they are brilliant. xx

      Delete
  3. Your bed cover looks fantastic and the edging really finishes it off very nicely indeed!
    I've made that entrelac scarf a few years back in Noro Silk Garden yarn. It's lovely and a very satisfying knit but keeps on growing with every wash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annabeth. The yarn in the picture looks absolutely gorgeous; did you use that shade? I guess I will end up with a stripe-free Doctor who type scarf :-) xx

      Delete
    2. No I used a different shade, 211 Okazaki, I used 5 balls as I made it very long. As it grows with washing 4 balls would have been enough. I may have to think of a way of shortening it. You can see it here: https://www.ravelry.com/projects/Annabeth1/entrelac-scarf

      Delete
    3. Those colours are absolutely stunning. Wow. xx

      Delete
  4. Hi again, I bought a doll from a charity shop and are currently busy making clothes for her. My plan is to also make a blanket before gift wrapping it all together in cellophane and giving it to a children’s charity to raffle.
    Suze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How absolutely lovely and what a great idea. xx

      Delete
  5. I love your new blanket, it looks amazing. The entrelac scarf looks complicated but I love the design.

    I hope you enjoy your 'Dad's Day Dinner' ... it's lovely to have such a special way of remembering him. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the easiest pattern but, like them all, once you get the hang of it, it's fine. And thank you. I'm sure I will. xx

      Delete
  6. Your blanket has turned out lovely and it does look cozy! I hope you’ve enjoyed your Dad’s Dinner Day with happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Zenda. I'm having it this evening (it's 1:40 pm here at the moment) and very much looking forward to it. xx

      Delete
  7. I'm in awe of the gorgeous blanket. I think your Dad's special meal sounds great too. Now that both my parents have gone I often think of little ways to keep their memory alive.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bitter-sweet but it really does help, I think. xx

      Delete
  8. Your blanket is just lovely and fits the bed perfectly.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie. I am really happy about how it has turned out, I really am. It looks brighter on the bed than in the photos and - well, makes me happy. It's satisfying. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  9. The blanket is gorgeous, Joy. It must be lovely for you to see it completed. X

    ReplyDelete