Monday 31 October 2022

Monday

 Good morning, everyone.  Last day of October, Halloween and the sun is shining (for now).  I used to be so careful on Halloween, as a teacher close to the school, to put up a nice little notice on the door saying 'no trick or treat, thank you, but have a lovely evening' and I was never bothered apart from the once when my door was egged.
However, I knew who did it and when, a while later, I caught them red handed - or do I mean egg-handed - doing the same to my car, I went to both sets of parents (that's the joy of living local!!) and - well, let's say I was never troubled again.  :-)
Generally, the local parents had a code - pumpkin at the front meant knock on the door - and it seemed to work very well.   Also, the children were in a group with at least one adult with them.

I wonder about this year though - I've seen hardly any obvious Halloween decor around here.

Anyway, enough reminiscent ramblings.
Yesterday was a pleasant enough day, despite the rain.  I got my fruit and veg from M&S, other bits and bobs from Aldi (which was packed and, looking at trolley contents, people are partying anyway, whether they trick or treat or not) and then I had a meander around Dunelm.  It was OK but there wasn't anything all that special really.  I got a new hand towel and some reed diffuser refill in a nice citrus scent and then, at the last minute, fell for some 'mulled wine' (ha ha) scented tea lights for December.  I wasn't at all impressed with their Christmas decoration stuff at all though.
Not that I need any more, mind you . . .

Then it was home to unpack and chill for pretty much the rest of the day.

Today, real life restarts.  Children are back to school and Lindsey's classes are on again so I have circuits today.  Before then, I rather fancy a short drive to another precinct to have a nosey around Matalan and HomeSense.  I'm really enjoying feeling right enough to meander about so am making the most of it.
The rest of the day is, as always, householdy stuff - not terribly interesting at all.

Until early evening, that is.  Then, Dave and  a financial adviser are coming round to help me make sense and use of my ill gotten gains from Dad's estate.  I'm not looking forward to it all that much - numbers make my brain ache - but it has to be done.

And that's today.  How about you?  Do you do Halloween at all?


18 comments:

  1. I dislike anything to do with Halloween and try to ignore it as much as possible. :-)
    I'm off to Devon for a week shortly and will be based at Exmouth and birding around the Exe Estuary. Weather forecast is not too happy though! :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed the forecast changes and gives you perfect weather for birding.
      I don't like Halloween either - really not my thing at all. xx

      Delete
  2. I do not like Halloween at all.As a former teacher I never mentioned it with my class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor I, although it was hard to miss really. xx

      Delete
  3. Not a Halloween lover at all but a few houses locally are dressed up to the nines with all manner of spookiness. We won't be answering the door tonight as we are grumpy old curmudgeons. 😑

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you're not! :-) Why should one be 'forced' into handing out sweets!! xx

      Delete
  4. The only part about Halloween I enjoy is seeing the children come to the door for "trick or treat" - meaning candy. It brings back good memories going out with neighbor friends at night around the neighborhood. Our parents did not accompany us but we were in a very familiar territory as kids.
    I DO like getting out in stores, even the grocery store, when I can get my legs and back in gear. I like seeing parking lots full of cars. I know Covid has made a big dent in our way of living, but I am hoping people will see how wonderful it is to be out and about like before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly, this is the bit I most dislike. To me it says 'give us something or we will do something nasty to you' and, if done by an adult, would likely involve police intervention. I just don't care for the message it gives to impressionable youngsters.
      But I am sure that, properly organised and managed, and the 'trick' bit being just in word, not in actual deed, a lot of fun can be had.
      And going out and about after dark, in a group, with no responsible adult - that doesn't sit well at all.

      I think it must be very different here in the UK than in the USA. xx

      Delete
  5. I don't normally do the Halloween thing either, but this year some dear friends have invited us to an early evening party , optional dressing up. So we'll go along and try not to be miserable about it - I think folk are wanting to make up for th covid years by getting together as much as possible now!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parties and dressing up - that's fine. Not my thing but I hope you had a whole load of fun. xx

      Delete
  6. I've never bothered with Halloween. As children the big thing was Bonfire Night so this time was devoted to making our Guy, who lived with us for a week, and collecting wood etc. for the bonfire.

    I like pottering around the stores as well. Hope you found some goodies today, and good luck with the Financial Adviser tonight xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was always bonfire night for me too although the roots of this one are not pleasant either. I guess there's always something . . .
      Those were the days when anyone could buy fireworks and no big displays were available.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Hello Joy, glad to read you are well enough for a look see round some shops. I am living your first paragraph. A few years ago I baked little pumpkin cakes and wore a really scary mask to answer the door and one of my parents complained to the head about me the next day for scaring their cherub! Well if I knew where someone lived where my children went to school - through manners I wouldn't call on them on purpose.
    I remember going to organised Halloween parties as a child at Brownies/school and did good old fashioned party games like bobbing for apples etc dressed up as witches. My Mum used to carve us a swede! Oh the smell!! Nothing like the American expensive door to door knocking that goes on now. I never did it with my own children. It's big money business for the shops and I'm glad I'm going out tonight to class. The HG is going to retreat upstairs with the dog as Mr 25 is going to a concert tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum used to do Halloween parties for her guides - old fashioned games such as you described, mask making activities, etc. I gather they all had a lot of fun. xx

      Delete
  8. Here if the outdoor light is on come and get a treat. However, it is almost 7 pm here and I have not had one visitor this year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you will just have to eat all those sweets yourself - what a shame!!! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  9. Yes, the rule in our small town, is that if there is a pumpkin at the door and the house is decorated the little ones can knock for some sweeties, if not just don't knock and no funny business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good rule and everyone knows where they are with it all. xx

      Delete