Tuesday 19 January 2021

Tuesday

 Morning, everyone; how are you today?  The rough weather has landed - well, semi-rough - with a stiff breeze and plenty of rain.  According to the Beeb, we are not expected to have much rain through the day but it will land again overnight.

At first, yesterday felt like a nothing sort of day although I did get that cupboard under the sink sorted out.  I couldn't believe how much air freshener I had tucked away!  Not to mention just-about-empty bottles of this, that and the other.  And duplicates - so many!  Anyway, they are now sorted, all the spares are in the shed, neatly on shelves, and now I know what I have.  Now there is room to put the washing up liquid and the daily spray sanitiser away and out of sight.  My kitchen is starting to look more minimalistic.  Just more, not entirely!  I like a few things out.

Then, just as I was looking at my list and thinking that I didn't really feel like doing any of the things listed, along came a distraction.  My ordered rebounder arrived and working out how to set it up and having a preliminary bounce plus finding a YouTube channel with some relevant and achievable workouts cheered me up no and and took a reasonable chunk of time.

In the evening I produced more hexagons!

So it wasn't a nothing day after all.  It was good.

Today has started well with overnight washing drying in the tumble dryer, one load done and on the rack and another load in and doing.  I've done the washing Beth brought round so will be ironing that later on and have started on my own which I should get finished today although I may have to dodge the raindrops to get the other drying rack in from the shed.  Sometimes I am reminded very strongly of my childhood.  No tumble dryers in those days, of course, so if the weather was too bad for line drying, it all had to go on clothes horses and in winter they went in front of the fire (open with a fire guard), blocking the warmth from the rest of the room.

When the clothes had dried, Mum would let us turn the clothes horses sideways and give us a couple of old blankets to make a tent.  If we had been VERY good while she was so busy, we were allowed to have tea in our tent.  What a treat that was!  Before bedtime, we would have to tidy everything up so that Mum could iron and then air everything in front of the dying fire.

We had one like this - this was the one that was our tent.

And one quite like this except that it had three leaves, not four, I think.  It was amazing how much washing/ironing it held.

(both photos found on Google Images)



Lovely memories but I'm glad it's different nowadays.






I have my weekly chat with Dad this afternoon, courtesy of Zoom.  He seems well, no side effects from the vaccine.  Good news from Beth - she may be getting hers soon, possibly early next month, because of her job.  That would be another weight off my mind.  The rest of us will just have to wait our turn, I expect.

I'd better go.  The second lot of washing must have finished and needs getting out.
Have a super day, whatever you have planned.  I hope the storm isn't too bad where you are - be safe and warm.  And positive, always as positive as ever you can manage.  xx

8 comments:

  1. I had a wooden clothes maiden (as we called the airer in Manchester) when I first got married, I still use one now but it's a modern expanding plastic coated sort. I've only ever used a tumble dryer a couple of times when I rented a house with one in, and saw how much damage it did to clothes AND how fast the meter whizzed round, so I stopped using it.

    These days rather than being in front of the fire the clothes airer is positioned in front of the radiator in the spare room to make full use of the warmth. Of course back in wales I could drape the Aga with the washing once we had finished cooking :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love an Aga! I only use the dryer for a few things - muslins, for example, which are great as wiping cloths, towels (nice and fluffy afterwards) and so on.
      Never T shirts, jeans, etc, but Beth's/Alex's clothes are always tumble dried in the bad weather so it can't hurt them any more. Fingers crossed, anyway.
      The meter is outside so I don't see the bad news. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. I use a clothes airer in normal times, just finishing towels and undies in the tumble dryer for 30 minutes to soften them up. However lockdown has changed that as it depresses me to have clothes drying around the house when I can't go out so for now, every goes through the tumble dryer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to me like a very good reason for using a dryer. I think it helps to have a nice roomy extension.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a lovely day, Joy. Mine was low key, as well. I'm looking forward to watching the inauguration on tv tomorrow. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today now. I do hope all goes well and that there is no trouble anywhere. Thinking of your country.
      xx

      Delete
  4. My washing day is very much determined by the weather and apart from rain and fog I hang out in all weathers - but the windier the better - the reason for this is I don't have a tumble drier and I hate having washing strewn around the house - if it has to be dried inside I put it over a clothes horse in the spare bedroom. I love those old clothes horses but the wood could sometimes leave marks on your washing - although I try not to buy plastic I must say they are good for washing.
    Let us know how you get on with the rebounder - I used one at the local physio exercise class (a 6 week course for my knee problem) and it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wind is brilliant for drying, isn't it? The clothes stay flexible and softer than sun dried clothes.
      I'm enjoying the rebounder and it's handy for the five minute bounce just to get the heart rate up and warm the body - quicker than turning the heating up! :-)
      xx

      Delete