Sunday 15 December 2019

Sunday

Good morning.  We've had a very wet night but it's all clear now and feels a bit chilly.  Yesterday ended up sunny with just a few showers and, hopefully, today will be the same.

Yesterday was a really nice day.  Town wasn't too crowded and I did what I needed to do which was pay in a cheque and get a few little presents.  I didn't hang around though because while the streets were fine, inside the shops it was more than a little packed

The Christmas cake is now marzipanned and is drying out ready for the icing on Wednesday.  I'm glad I watched video clips beforehand and the marzipan looks pretty nice and smooth really, apart from a few 'wrinkles' around the bottom.  It'll all be covered by the icing anyway!  It was quite theraputic smoothing it all down, top and sides, with a tool and with my hands.

I had bought some 'good quality dark chocolate' (to quote our Jamie) as I wanted to make another batch of his chocolate mix for presents.  When I got home, I found that what I got was mint chocolate, darn it.  Oh, well, give it a try thought I so I did and the end result was absolutely delicious.  Next time I will try a different flavour of chocolate - after all, there are so very many nowadays.
Here's the recipe I use.

I wrote a few cards, did some wrapping, tidied the kitchen and generally pottered around before going to Morrisons for things for today.  I left it until late afternoon, after dark, and although the carpark was a bit full, it was OK inside.

Today Beth, Alex and Dave are here for lunch.  Dave has found some old family photos he wants to show us.  After the tree is finished, Dave and Alex are leaving and Beth's staying here for dinner and overnight (I think) which will be nice.  We will watch Christmas films and have a good chat.

I think it's going to be a lovely day.

I think this piece of Christmas music is fantastic.  I love acapella anyway and have admired the work of Glad since their appearance at Spring Harvest, the standing ovation and a hastily put together and absolutely wonderful concert in the Big Top.
(were any of my readers there on that occasion?)
This recording was made when they were still five in the group so quite old and the quality is necessarily the best but, even so, that last chord still send shivers down my spine.  Powerful singing!



Just come back in to say that at last, finally, I have hit a hundred followers.  I know more people read than follow but it's nice to hit the hundred, all the same.  Thanks, everyone.


8 comments:

  1. I've also made some of Jamie's hot chocolate as Christmas gifts. Now I think I'll try making a flavoured version for myself.
    Enjoy your tree day. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The minty version really is lovely so I don't see why other versions shouldn't be too. I may be very naughty and make up a batch for myself for Christmas. The minty version has more or less gone, decanted into smaller jars as gifts.
      I hope you have a good day too.
      xx

      Delete
  2. That hot chocolate recipe sounds divine, have to try it! My brain's gone to mush but am I on the right lines in thinking that 3 heaped teaspoons would be ok for a large mug full?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically it is one rounded tbsp per 100 mls of milk so what you said sounds about right to me.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I'm glad the cake is going to plan and I look forward to a photo of the finished article I would think your pottery skills will come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I was thinking yesterday that it was a very similar thing in some ways. Anyway, we will see and I'm sure there will be a photo at some point, seeing as it's my first go at a Christmas cake.
      xx

      Delete
  4. I'm going to try the chocolate drink, maybe using soya milk, and see how I feel afterwards. I may also substitute the cinnamon for a bit of chilli - chilli hit chocolate is top of my list for winter drinks!

    I hope you enjoy your Tree Decorating Day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be extremely interested on how it goes, Eileen.
      How was the concert?
      xx

      Delete