Saturday 28 December 2019

Saturday

Good morning!  Another damp morning although it's not raining, just misty.  The mist may clear, says the Beeb weather, but it will be a dull day so I guess it will feel damp all through.

Yesterday was a restful day.  Dad left after a leisurely breakfast and it was sad to see him go.  It's been lovely to have him here and I missed his company.  However, over breakfast we sorted out the weekends for January and February.  He had an easy drive down; there was very little traffic on the road and not much surface spray.  By the time he emailed me, the heating was up and the house warm, he was unpacked and the washing machine was on.
There have been a few health worries in recent weeks but I am reassured that he is now pretty much as fit as he can be, given certain medical issues.  It's a huge relief.

I had forgotten that the cleaners never work from Christmas Day to New Year's Day (quite right too) so they didn't come and I spent most of my time knitting and watching telly.  Eileen, I had some good guffaws over Would I Lie To You but I never have really 'liked' Sharon Osborne and now I like her even less! 

I also watched the Queen's speech and found it thoughtful and very wise, loving the little segment over the Christmas puddings at the end and laughing at the way she moved hastily out of the way when George attacked the mixture with his wooden spoon, bless him.

Beth came over for a while to do some tidying up and some accounts.  That was nice.,

I feel very lethargic this morning so I'm not going to push things.  The only thing I really HAVE to do is sort out the last bits of the turkey, portion meat and stock out and get it all into the freezer.  I think I have the space - well, I will have to, won't I?

Poor old dustmen or whatever one must call them nowadays.  Our collection is this morning rather than the usual Thursday (and won't be back to Thursday for three weeks).  No complaints - they do a grand job and probably don't get much of a break.  But I looked out this morning to pop one more item in the green box and all round the cul de sac bins are bulging, card sacks are overflowing and green boxes (glass and metal) are full while I hate to think what's in the food recycling bins!

Apart from that, sorting out the guest room with clean sheets and doing some washing, it's going to be another easy and restful day (I hope).

What are your plans for today?
xx



17 comments:

  1. Good to hear your Dad is well.
    I followed recycling bin lorry through nearby village yesterday and some idiots had put polystyrene packing loose in a box, which went all over the road. - It shouldn't have gone out for recycling - it probably contaminated the whole load. They had 4 men on the lorry instead of usual 3 to cope with all the tons of cardboard packaging.They need medals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they do! I am old enough to remember when piles of rubbish built up on street corners and in parks during the Winter of Discontent and thinking that people who provide essential and not very pleasant services like that are not appreciated nearly enough. Sadly, very little has changed in that way.
      (and I agree - what an idiot)

      Delete
  2. Glad to here your Dad is ok and we too had a bin collection yesterday our normal day is wednesday and it was interesting to see those who had lots of recycling and those who just had loads of black sacks and hadn't bothered to recycle anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to get into a recycling routine but now it's habit and I wouldn't do it any other way.
      It's a great rel;ief about Dad, thank you.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed would I lie to you too, couldn't make up my mind whether SO was playing to the camera or whether she's really that dim.

    Good to hear your Dad is back to strength and long may it continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose she could have been but, if so, not wise. I'm a bit surprised they included that bit, to be honest. It did her no credit whatsoever.

      And thank you.
      xx

      Delete
  4. I'm so happy you enjoyed a lovely visit with your dad and that he's now home safely.
    I also hate to see the amount of waste created at this time of year, especially as most is completely unnecessary. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least there are facilities for recycling nowadays. ALl that extra card and paper must make a difference although I am glad to say my extra food recycling could be accounted for by the fact that I had visitors. I've wasted very little really.
      xx

      Delete
  5. I was a little disappointed by 'Would I Lie To You', mostly due to Sharon Osbourne who I thought was completely wrong for the programme.

    I missed my bin collection this morning. It was the general waste one so luckily there isn't much in the bin and no food waste so it won't smell!

    Glad to hear that your Dad is doing well and had a safe journey home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought if you take SO out of it, the rest was very funny and enjoyable. She just wasn't right for that kind of programme and I thought it had to be a lie as no-one would be happy to own up to that sort of behaviour, especially in those circumstances.
      xx

      Delete
  6. SO seems to be everywhere at the moment.Why?I have not heard anyone say they like her.
    We have just had coffee with three friends up at the theatre.We do this most Saturday mornings.Having catered for the family over Xmas it is quite nice to just relax.Awalk is on the cards for this afternoon then Weekend Women's Hour and a bit of knitting and some telly watching tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess she has a good agent.
      Your day sounds lovely! Have a fab time.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed the queen's speech also! And the pudding where she moved away! Cute! I am not one to watch much about the royals but wanted to hear the speech! Thoughtful... We watched the same across the ocean!!!! One of my grands studying in England next semester. Health prevents me from traveling do far again but excited for her. She studied in Greece and Italy this year already!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was funny, wasn't it? And yes, it was thoughtful.
      xx

      Delete
  8. I really liked the Queen's speech. I even shared it on Facebook. I was hoping to see Princess Charlotte as I have just fallen in love with her, she is so cute and sweet looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is but I bet she's a right pickle - maybe a bit like Princess Anne was! Nothing wrong with that, of course.
      xx

      Delete

  9. GET BLANK ATM CARD INSTEAD OF LOAN.

    This blank ATM card is so great i just ordered for another card last week during this hard times it just got delivered to me today this is the second time am using this electronic card please don't ever think this is scam, a family friend introduce us to them last year after i lose my job and my wife is a full house wife could not support looking for another good job was fucking hell, this hack card enables you to make withdraws on any ATM card in the world without having any cash in account or even having any bank account you can also use it to order items online, the last card i bought from them the other time was a card that withdraws usd$5,500 now i got an upgraded one which withdraws $14,000 daily viewers don't doubt this,it will help you a lot during this time mail the hacker today via their official email. blankatmdeliveryxpress@gmail.com
    You won't never regret it works in all the state here in USA stay safe and all part of the world.

    ReplyDelete