Tuesday 20 August 2019

Tuesday

Good morning all.

I was delighted to see, when arriving home yesterday morning, that my chilli plant was showing flashes of red amongst all the green.  Yes, that have finally decided to start ripening.  I cut the seven that were red.  They are small and fairly hot and I handled them with care.  These, the first picking, went next door to say thank you for watering my garden over this weekend, accompanied by a cucumber.  There will be more very soon; they are like tomatoes - once they get the idea, they ripen rapidly.

At last, the pepper plant is producing more fruit.  They're still little and green and I will be giving them (and the other plants) a good liquid feed today as I missed that over the weekend, but they will grow and ripen, I am sure.

Another thrill (what a sad life, eh?) was that there are a few pink blueberries ready to pick and one yellow raspberry.  Just one, but more will follow.  I daresay they won't make it into the house!

I was also greeted by a shedload of tomatoes and several portions of runner beans.    Great!!

After unpacking, I started a load of washing and checked the tumble dryer.  The sheets had dried, thankfully, no damp and musty pongs greeted me, so they went in the ironing basket.  It was a good drying day with a fresh breeze to compensate for the lack of heat so I was able to get all the washing dried, ironed and put away.

Apart from that, I roasted a chicken, boiled up bones to make stock and watched some telly.  Not an exciting day but a very pleasant one.

Today, a local company is coming round to clear my gutters, check the down pipes, etc.  It's something that is long overdue and I am hoping they find no problems.  After that, weather permitting, I think I will drive into town and take a walk around one of the parks there, just for the fresh air and exercise.  I'm not sleeping very well again (writing this at about quarter past four is not sensible really) so maybe it will help.
The other thing I want to do is make a nice, big pot of ratatouille as I came back from Dad's with a large, round courgette and there are tomatoes in all corners of the kitchen!

Well, it is nearly five now and I'm starting to feel a bit tired so maybe I can grab a little bit more sleep.  Have a great day, everyone.

6 comments:

  1. Morning Joy, hope you managed to get back to sleep. And it's not a sad life at all...growing and harvesting our own food is fabulous, it's a shame we didn't realise it earlier in life! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, but we're getting the fun now so that's a good thing.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Hope you managed to get a bit more sleep. My tomatoes which as you know were very late are now big and green but I am hopeful that a few days of sun will change that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The forecast is good for this coming week and for the weekend so here's hoping you will be picking by the bank holiday, Diane.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I hope you enjoyed your walk around the park. Your garden is keeping you busy. Will you freeze the chillies and peppers if you get enough? My friend is adamant that the taste is altered if you freeze them, but I'm not convinced.

    Our weather is perfect for walking today - not too hot, a bit of a breeze and a little sunshine from time to time - so I enjoyed my walk along the canal this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly freezing the chillis as there are hgundreds on the plant. I will slice and freeze any peppersd. The texture certainly changes but they are fine for stews, casseroles, soups, etc.
      It's been a lovely day, thanks.
      xx

      Delete