Saturday 31 August 2019

Saturday

Good morning, everyone.  Yesterday was another perfectly lovely English summer day round here.  Warm, sunny, a gentle breeze . . . just gorgeous.  It's due to change as some rain comes over but then should be pleasant again into early September.  No complaints.

Tuition went well yesterday.  My student was less than enthusiastic about going back to school on Tuesday but doesn't mind really.  I will miss hearing the children's laughter as they play in their gardens around me; it's lovely to hear them so happy.

Before setting off for Dad's, I gave the garden a good soaking so I'm hoping that will last it until this evening when Beth can stop off to water again.  It should be OK as it's not going to be baking hot.  The cucumber has decided to get energetic again - one picked, one ready tomorrow and I thought there were three babies but no, I counted four as I watered it.  I wonder why I never thought of growing cucumbers before.
The tomatoes, likewise, are now ripening at a great rate of knots.  There will be a bowlful when I get home with more to follow so they will be featuring majorly in my food plans for the week.
Ditto runner beans.  I picked a load to bring with me and then Dad said he also had plenty so they were prepped and are now in the freezer. 
It's just as well I really like cucumber, tomatoes and runners, isn't it?
I also noticed that there's a handful of pink blueberries ready for picking and the yellow raspberries are also producing daily now.  It's going to be a good raspberry crop this year.

I'm also finally making great inroads into some little piles of 'stuff' that seemed to be reproducing downstairs.  Yesterday I sorted out a small part of the kitchen that was a dumping ground for lids and other such paraphernalia.  The place is looking much more restful now, which is a relief.

An email arrived, informing me that pottery will be starting later than expected due to 'tutor commitments'.  Sessions aren't going to start until more than half way through October.  Disappointing, but it does mean I won't miss a session due to my Center Parcs holiday and they are refunding the missed classes.  I do hope things are OK.

So here I am at Dad's.  I will be doing an early morning shop and then there's a little list of things to do. 
Helping him get some things down from the attic.
Signing some stuff relating to Mum's will.
Sorting out some books.
Preparing for dinner when Beth and Alex will be coming up.  Al's asked for pizza, etc, so that's what it shall be!

In her blog, read this morning, Cherie asked about cloud pruning a lavender.  Now, I'm quite naughty about pruning - or not-pruning - lavender and it's about time I did it properly (not cloud pruning though, that is something different) so I looked it up and discovered that the time for normal lavender pruning is now, right now, to give new growth a chance to establish before the colder weather so that's on the list for when I get home.  I have a very neat little bush in my middle bed and have never managed to keep any previous ones in good shape so I will give it a go as described and see if it makes a difference.  I hope so as I dearly love the fragrance.

Today should be a pleasant day and I hope yours is too.



8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nudge about the lavender, I have 6 bushes that I've been looking at the past few days and thinking 'I really must prune those!'. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love lavender but it never seems to like my garden I have tried several times and the plants don't survive. Perhaps i will try again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to have Lavender everywhere in the garden - it is still flowering well here but we are further North and it takes everything longer to flower so I will wait a week or two before pruning mine.
    Have a lovely weekend together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God luck, ladies. I'm hoping some proper pruning will help it keep its shape and not get woody and leggy too quickly. Fingers crossed for us all.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to restarting lessons on the 9th ... I wonder if any of them have practiced during the holiday 🤔

    I have to prune my lavender soon so thanks for the reminder. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - what do you think? Some will, some won't, I guess.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Funnily enough we pruned our lavenders today too - something in the cooler weather I think. Hope your lavender continues to thrive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just been picking time for lavender, hasn't it, so maybe people prune back at the same time. It's on the list of things to do when I get home, alongside picking fruit and veg! I have obviously totally neglected my poor lavenders in the past which would explain, perhaps, why I have had little success in keeping them longer term.
      Thanks - so do I! :-)
      xx

      Delete