Wednesday 21 August 2019

Wednesday

Morning, everyone.  We had a very pleasant and sunny day here yesterday, although it was none too warm at times and when I had to leave the front door open so the gutter cleaners could access the power socket, the hall radiator came on!

I now have nice, clear gutters.  Hopefully the rain will now go down the proper way rather than dripping over the sides.

It was something of a kitchen day yesterday.  In the morning I made some ratatouille using a big courgette from Dad and tomatoes from the garden.  It's one of those things that is easy but which takes a bit of time - the way I like it does anyway, but by the end I had a lovely, thick-tomato, flavoursome dish that tasted wonderful!

Later on, I had a go as a sort of chocolate 'cake' that someone had posted about in our local SW Facebook group.  The main ingredient was, would you believe, chickpeas!  I wasn't sure but I'll give most things a go and I was very pleasantly surprised.  One to make again, that's for sure, and if you're interested, I have posted the recipe on t'other blog!


I had a nice walk which blew the cobwebs away and in the evening I caught up on a few recorded programmes and then started watching my box set of that old series, 'Civilisation'.  Very interesting it was too and, with thirteen episodes, I can see I will be educated for some time to come!

Today starts early with Jeff coming round at seven thirty to sort some garden bits out for me.  Then my time's my own until half ten when I'm going round to Faith's for coffee and a good chat.  After that, there's nothing in the diary but I really must do some housework as the place is a bit of a tip right now.

So it's just an ordinary day with ordinary things today.  I like ordinary days.
Have a good one too.  xx

8 comments:

  1. The cake looks good I have made chocolate cake with beetroot and also courgettes so the chickpea didnt surprise me. The chocolate flavour is so strong it conceals most things used to bulk it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Whatever the reason, it's jolly good!
      xx

      Delete
  2. The chocolate cake has somehow made its way on to my meal planning for next week!

    Do you follow a recipe for ratatouille or just make up your own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, what a surprise. ;-) (hope you like it)
      I found a couple of recipes, one on the Jamie Oliver site and one on Good Food and I just sort of merged the two of them really, with my own amounts to match what I had.
      xx

      Delete
  3. I recently made a chocolate zucchini cake which turned out well and was eaten up in a hurry before I mentioned it had half a zucchini in it! As Diane mentioned, the chocolate flavour (I used cocoa powder and chocolate chips) does tend to disguise the other ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds nice! I remember them making a beetroot chocolate cake on Eat Well for Less a while ago and that went down a treat too.
      I'm not a great chocolate fan but sometimes a bit is nice and this does give me that 'bit' for not too many calories. Hopefully, freezing it won't change that chocolatey hit too much.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Today at work we were talking about chickpeas. If you use the canned ones, the liquid can be beaten and once done fold in sugar and bit of flour. It makes a lovely meringue for lemon pies etc. The chickpeas can also be toasted in the oven using a bit of seasoning on them...a nice healthy snack. Yes, I work with food scientists. Enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dearly love roasted chickpeas and make them for Christmas!
      I've never used the chickpea liquid for meringues - I guess it wouldn't work with sweetener, sadly. However, there are loads of ideas out there on the internet for using it and I ought to investigate, especially if I am making more chickpea 'cakes'.
      It must be fascinating, working with food scientists and thank you. :-)
      xx

      Delete