Thursday 15 August 2019

Thursday

Good morning, everyone.  After the really shocking weather yesterday, we have sunshine!  As I still have some washing to do, I'm very pleased!  It's pretty chilly at the moment so there's no desire to sit out and be lazy.

It was nice to get home yesterday.  I like being away and I also like being at home with all my familiar little things.  After dodging the raindrops to get everything from the car, the first thing I did was put on the kettle and the second thing was to take advantage of a break in the rain to pick thousands of tomatoes, runners and four cucumbers.

The coffee I made tasted dreadfully insipid after a week of good, strong French coffee so on my shopping list went 'French coffee' (which I am now enjoying as I type this), closely followed by 'extra virgin olive oil' (three syns per half tablespoon)!!

Just about everything is now sorted and put away.  I did some washing which needs ironing today and there's a bit more plus some sheets to do today.

I uploaded the photos (it took ages!) but have only just started dealing with them so I'm going to be back to front today and post a few photos of the clouds from the plane, taken on Tuesday.
The first is just after take off and the second is just as we crossed the coast back into the UK.  It was pretty clear really with gorgeous, puffy clouds over the land although we were above thicker cloud as we crossed the channel.



Rows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I've looked at clouds that way
. . .
I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud's illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all

There were some amazing views of London but I'd put the camera away by then and seatbelts were back on.


Today is free according to my diary.  I have to finish the washing and the ironing, make the food for taster evening at SW group (while crossing my fingers for the weigh in) and I want to go into town to see if I can find some nice little espresso cups to go with my lovely, strong, French café noir!

No clothes though, not today. I was naughty about clothes in France, but I'll tell you about that later!

Oh! While I've been typing, the sun has gone in. What a shame. Never mind, that's why God invented raincoats and umbrellas! I'd better go up and get myself ready to face the day before aiming for the twenty past nine bus into town for a cup hunt. I reckon Debenhams or John Lewis should have some choice, don't you?

Have a great day, whatever the weather.


16 comments:

  1. While being away is wonderful, there is something comforting about a return to the familiar. Thankfully, I managed to dodge a post holiday laundry situation by making use of the washing machine at the cottage.
    The garden has provided you with a fantastic harvest. I imagine those tomatoes will taste so sweet.
    Fingers crossed for your weigh in this evening. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thy do, Jules, that are gorgeous. Every year I love this month because of the tomatoes.
      And thanks. Mine are too!
      xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely to have you back home, but, oh my, that song, I never knew, I always heard it as 'clowns'!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiling at that. I can think of words that I misheard or could not work out what the word actually was. Pre-Google days, of course.
      It's actually rather a lovely song in its entirely, I think. Haunting tune and words.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Ooh, French coffee and French clothes! :-))

    I love a good olive oil in a salad dressing. Especially on pasta salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. So, so good.
      I've not been using oil that much but I think I will, synning it, of course. Even after SW I will still measure carefully but it does make a difference.
      And the coffee was just splendid!
      xx

      Delete
  4. I love the clouds quote and found myself singing along - glad to have you back safe and well rested good luck with the search for coffee cups. I must confess although I have some I seldom use them and just make an espresso in a big cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would normally too but I so liked the whole thing, I thought I'd like to carry it on.
      Hoping I find something I really like. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  5. Good luck finding the espresso cups you like. You could go clothes shopping as well but I suppose it depends on how naughty you were in France 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. er . . . < cough > Exactly!
      I found some in John Lewis. Just their own bone china, simple and white, suits be very well.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Welcome back from your lovely trip. Your photos from the air remind me of how I love my first sight of the British landscape when I fly over the Pond. Always feels like coming home for me as I grew up in UK. I especially like taking an early morning flight from the US, rather than the usual overnight one, as it arrives in UK at night (and I can go straight to bed--no jet lag). I've gotten some great photos from the air of Tower Bridge and other places towards Westminster. All lit up, London at night from the air it is quite the view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds stunning!
      The cloud formations were gorgeous and my photos don't really do them justice.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Loved seeing your cloud photos and hearing about your life since you arrived back from your trip. Welcome Home and hope you found the cups you were looking for!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, thanks. Plain white, bone china and just like a doll's tea set. They're so cute.
      xx

      Delete
  8. Is that Joni Mitchell you are quoting? Sounds familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's Joni Mitchell's song although Wiki tellks me it was first recorded by Judy Collins.
      It's a beautiful song, isn't it?
      xx

      Delete