Wednesday 11 July 2018

Wednesday

Good morning, everyone.  It's a cool, very dull start to the day (no complaints) and I'm umming and ahing about dressing gown and slippers.  No complaints from me though.

Thank you for your kind comments yesterday - they were all appreciated.

What a fab day yesterday was.  First of all, the Yr5/6 show dress rehearsal was brilliant and I'm so looking forward to the actual performance this morning.  Reserved seat, front row - the advantage of being a governor!

Then I did a bit of Morrisons shopping before coming home for the flypast.  None of my photos are worth showing, but it was very impressive indeed.  By the time the Red Arrows had flown over, the first planes had done their fly over Buckingham Palace.  Goodness, they ain't half speedy!  I wish I could get into London half as quickly!

After tuition (fun as always), Beth came round and off we went to the allotment for a picnic and some watering.
I have to admit, we spent longer eating and chatting than watering and weeding but it was lovely - warm but fresh and very, very peaceful.  A thoroughly satisfying experience sitting among the results of earlier hard work.

We shall get great use out of this hamper this summer, I can tell!

It is now a proper allotment - we have our own baby robin.  A very handsome little chap, too young to have grown his red breast yet.




He came close but was a bit wary, keeping his beady little eye on us all the time, so we encouraged him with crumbs from our rolls.

I came home with two little courgettes and I think I will do something like roasted Mediterranean veg for dinner tonight.  Yum.
There will be more to pick in a few days but they will be for Beth.  It won't be long before we no longer need to take turns, the way they are looking!

And finally, I got some really great news about one of my students and their KS2 SATs performance - yes, the results are out!  Very satisfying.

Today is another good day.  First of all it's the first performance of the show.  Then I will go swimming because, although I normally hear readers in Y2 on Wednesday afternoons, I'm not needed this week.  On the way home, I will likely stop off at the allotment again as there's a lot of weeds daring to show their heads and put in half an hour or so.  Then I will complete the planning for tomorrow's tuition as it's always nice to get ahead.

No tuition this evening though.  There was going to be but the evening show performance was brought forward from a six o'clock start to a five o'clock start because of the World Cup semi and it would just be too tight.  Also, H will need a rest after school before going back for the show.

So, although there's plenty to do, what I'm doing is mostly because I'm not having to do other stuff so it feels like a gift (if that makes sense).  A spot (well, quite a lot of spots, actually) of rain would be the icing on the cake.

Have you had any rain down your way?


8 comments:

  1. No rain here, Joy, in Torbay. We need it.
    Love the hamper! Better still, with food in it!
    Lovely courgettes!
    Lovely birds!
    What a summer!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been wonderful so far, hasn't it? Hoping for a bit of rain today as the clouds are quite thick and there's wind, as if something is blowing this way. Time alone will tell, as Miss Read was so fond of saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're supposed to have rain on Friday and Saturday but I'll believe that when it happens. Your little baby robin is so cute. I'm a bit jealous as, although I get plenty of birds in the garden, there's no sign of a robin at all.

    I love your picnic hamper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of clouds and damp in the air but no rain here this morning.
    Love that hamper,
    Enjoy your day. I'm still resting with ice packs on my back so will miss swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eileen: He was very chirpy and surprisingly brave. Too young to know he/she has to be wary, I suspect. I( will look out for him today.
    Sue: Rotten luck about your back. At least the ice will keep you cool, I guess, but I hope it mends quickly - take it easy. The hamper was a lucky find. Matalan of Wilcos or somewhere like that, very, very good value. I know we will use it loads.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love a picnic, no rain here yet, possibility of some tomorrow or Friday, shan't hold my breath though. Gorgeous baby Robin Joy, fantastic photos, and really love the header. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't beat and English summer and a picnic or an allotment with a Robin!
    Love Miss Read too my favourite books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He really is a cutie, isn't he? I do hope we see him again.

    I first met Miss Read when I got my reading list for college (it was college in those days) and Village School was on the list. I love her books too.

    ReplyDelete