Monday, 27 July 2026

Monday, 27-07-26

A very good morning to everyone.  A new week starts and it looks like more wall to wall sunshine after a cloudier morning yesterday and some actual, real, live rain.  Not much but enough to wet the ground.  It won't solve any water shortage issues but it did freshen up the atmosphere.

I made Beth's loaves and tried out a theory I had.  A short while ago, if you remember, I made a couple of loaves for her that rose almost scarily fast and, when baked, stuck to the tin that I covered the bottom loaf tin with for the great majority of the bake (I start from cold) and it was a nightmare to get it off the top of the loaf.  Well - I realised that I had just made some sourdough and decided not to clean Thermione but to mix the yeasted dough in the pan that had a bit of remaining sourdough.
I wondered if that little bit of sourdough created the super-rise so, yesterday, I deliberately added a bit of starter to the mix and, lo and behold, another super rise.  No sticking this time though because I oiled the tins I used as covers!
I need a loaf too so I'm going to try again today - just to check!

I said I'd show what I bought at the Show on Saturday so here goes.

A bit of a cheat, this, because I didn't buy it; it was a freebie and what a good freebie it is.  It's lovely and substantial and I will definitely be using it.


Two fridge magnets.  They are both from watercolours painted by the then Prince of Wales.  I love water colour paintings and chose these over a slightly more gaudy magnet.

My hands are very dry at the moment so I've started using beeswax hand balm again.  I got some in Crete which is still in use (you only need the tiniest amount) but I think it's an ongoing need now so I treated myself to these two from a stall.  The scents are gorgeous and the dry patches on my hands are so much softer again.

Five lovely cards - I'm always after a nice card or two.  These are prints from originals and just my thing.

The sunhat.
I've been looking for ages but couldn't find anything that didn't make me look like s Dingle Dangle Scarecrow (any one teaching primary in the 70s and 80s will recognise this) or a demented gardener.  This was just perfect, quite flattering and makes me look uncannily like my Mum at first glance.  A plus is that it rolls up and comes with a little bag for storage.


Just shiny hanging things that catch the light and move in the slightest breeze although, thinking about it, maybe it wasn't a particularly wise purchase - glass, reflection, direct sun = potential fire hazard in this weather if the air is very still.  It it's moving, no worries.

Hmmm - I'll ponder that one.


And, finally, of course, the show guide book.  Expensive but informative with a useful map and descriptions.  A nice memento.

The only thing I did set out to look for, a really decent pair of gardening gloves, was the one thing I missed.  I think the relevant stalls were the in the area I didn't have time or remaining energy to explore.  Not to worry, they are hardly a rare commodity.

I also have loads and loads of leaflets, business cards, etc, which I will be looking through and maybe accessing online to take a look.  

Now it's Monday and the only thing in the diary is circuits at Lindsey's.  
However, being Monday, it is downstairs cleaning day too and I want to make that bread as mentioned above so I won't be bored.
Have a lovely day, everyone, and I hope your weekend was the best.  See you!!!  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment