Saturday 28 July 2018

Saturday

Oh, joy; oh, bliss; oh, utter delight!  It's raining cats and dogs, it's windy, it's cool and I needed to sleep under the cover last night.
The forecast is absolutely perfect.  More showery rain for a few hours, then several hours of sun at around 22C (perfect) and then more rain tomorrow and Monday.
No need to water the allotment or the garden.  Actually, that's not quite true, I have containers in sheltered spots in the garden and they WILL need watering but that's not a problem.

I'm glad for the sun because I have four bags of washing that I've taken to help Beth and Alex out and I would like to dry it all on the line.  Sun and a fresh breeze really would be perfect so fingers crossed!

Most of yesterday became hot again, sadly, but it clouded over later on, there were a few flashes and claps of thunder and some brief heavy rain that cooled things down a bit in the evening.  There was more rain overnight too.

That pretty, purple flower turns out to be a liatris, blazing star.  They are prairie wild flowers and some types can grow to about five feet although I doubt mine will.  They are a member of the aster family.  They tolerate dry conditions, grow well in containers, don't need much feeding and all together sound the perfect plant although, reading between the lines, they could be a bit invasive as most wild flowers have to be.  I love the way they flower from the top down as they remind me of sparklers.

This is what one site says.

Growing laitris plants is easy. These prairie wildflowers provide many uses in the garden. You can grow them nearly anywhere. You can grow them in beds, borders and even containers. They make excellent cut flowers, fresh or dried. They attract butterflies. They’re relatively pest resistant. The list can go on and on.
Read more at Gardening Know How: Liatris Planting Information: How To Grow Liatris Blazing Star https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/liatris/liatris-blazing-star.htm

I have some in a container and others round the front where they have been thoroughly neglected as I haven't watered the front through this hot spell.  They are not as well grown as the container ones, but they are fine and I'm happy to let them spread a bit there.

It looks like I have accidentally found a treasure.  Good old Aldi!

Today I have washing, more washing and yet more washing to do but, apart from that, little else, so I will be lazy and continue watching my box sets while ironing as the clothes dry.

Well - the rain has stopped, the sky is clearing, the sun has emerged and it is still breezy so I will be brave and get the first load of washing out on the line.  It looks so bright and fresh out there; just looking at it makes me happy.

AND I DON'T NEED TO WATER THE ALLOTMENT. 




6 comments:

  1. I have just stripped our bed as I like a bit of wind with my sun to dry the washing. I put some towels out yesterday and they dried stiff in that intense heat with not even a breeze - a bit like cardboard now!
    That was the plant name I was looking for - I could not think of it and was going to have a look in my books. Google is not very good if you don't even have a name at all - I am not sure putting a purple spikey thing would have brought up many results but well done for finding it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure it would work but it did!

    If you have a tumble dryer, pop the towels in with a wet dishcloth or tea towel and they will soften nicely. It doesn't take long.
    My washing is drying really nicely. So fresh smelling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got one of those in my garden. It was a gift from a pupil "because you like purple" I've never known the name of it till now :-)

    We had some heavy rain with thunder last night and some showers this morning. It's a bit cooler and definitely more pleasant

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a very pretty flower, isn't it? A lovely gift that just keeps on giving. Today is just perfect here. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has rained all day here. The garden is glad of it but I'm not used to being stuck indoors. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope it is cooler and more comfortable.
    I'm hoping for more rain overnight. We've not had anything like enough yet.

    ReplyDelete