Good morning, everyone. Welcome to my blog.
It's a fine morning and the early sun is shining brightly. I've done my watering - left handed watering is something of a pain but not as much as using the other arm!! - and picked the morning tomatoes.
Yesterday I made a big bowl of tomato, roasted red pepper and lentil soup which tastes gorgeous and will be perfect, not only for soup but also for pasta/pizza sauce and that sort of thing. This morning I blanched and peeled some cherry tomatoes and they will also be frozen.
Peeling those little tomatoes is fiddly and, while I was doing it, I suddenly wondered if I could do anything more with the skins than just compost them.
So I asked my friend, Google, 'Can I make tomato powder with tomato skins?' and this is what I got.
Yes, you can make tomato powder from tomato skins. The process involves dehydrating the skins at low temperatures and then grinding them into a fine powder. This method not only conserves food waste but also preserves the flavour and nutrients of the tomatoes. The resulting tomato powder can be used in various dishes to enhance their flavour and colour.
My air fryer has a dehydrate function so three cheers. When I think of all the skins I have discarded over the years . . .
I might dry some of the bigger tomatoes and store them in evoo or even garlic infused oil - wouldn't that be good?
One half of the salt tablets arrived yesterday (they warned me in might come in two deliveries). I asked nicely but the driver wouldn't take them round the back. Oh, well, I managed, one bag at a time! I'm hoping the other half will arrive today.
Thinking of today, I'm not doing Groove. There's a lot of arm stuff and I don't think it would be sensible. I'm going to ask Lindsey for some gentle stretching exercises I can do for when it aches - she's really helpful with things like that.
Sorry to hear your arm is still sore but you are being careful. I ask for deliveries to the back door when I am ordering- ary be worth it for next time. We have had torrential rain all night and the flowers are now very battered but at least it will be starting to refill the reservoirs. Have an easy day and rest when needed. Catriona
ReplyDeleteI never thought of that but it's a good idea, thanks.
DeleteI'm glad you have had plenty of rain . . . xx
Hello, Greetings from France where I read time to time your blog. I didn't know either that tomato skins can be used in cooking. Have a nice day.
ReplyDeleteHi, Xavier, nice to meet you and thank you for commenting. It's interesting, isn't it? I'm going to give it a go and see how it works out. xx
DeleteHands up to it I never peel the skins of the cherry tomatoes 🤭
ReplyDeleteHope your arm feels better soon , that driver was a bit mean not to carry the package round for you.
Alison in Devon x
Perhaps I am being pernickety but I find lots of the cherry varieties have quite tough skins.
DeleteYes, maybe it was, but I know they have a very tight schedule so maybe he was pushed for time.
xx
I never peel tomatoes, just cook it all down then blitz with the blender. We have had three showers today (Derbyshire), its not done much for the garden, but the air feels fresher and lighter. Xx
ReplyDeleteTo be fair, I don't when making soup. If the blended results taste a but 'gritty' I just push the lot through a sieve. It makes the world of difference and it's surprising how little is retained in the sieve.
DeleteFreshness sounds wonderful. I wouldn't be surprised if the was a storm brewing right now. It just feels like that. xx
Good idea to take a rest if your arm/shoulder is that sore.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Sharon. It really has helped.
Delete