Thursday 19 July 2018

Thursday and some plans

Good morning, everyone.  A quick one today as time is flying.  The sun is shining this morning and it looks glorious out there, not too hot yet and with no haze.  Really lovely.

I've been having a good think about what I'm doing with my retirement, not in any 'worthy' way, just because I don't want to be too routine bound.  I was inspired by Sue from The Cottage at the End of a Lane who has a book about Suffolk churches and is sort of working her way through them.

I don't have any such helpful books (yet) but the idea stuck and I've been thinking round it for a while and now that tuition and school responsibilities have more or less stopped for the summer, I think I will do something very similar (hope you don't mind me copying you, Sue).  There should be plenty of info on the internet.

So next Tuesday I am off to Willingale which is not too far away at all.  Willingale has two churches on the same site, both old and interesting looking, both open for visitors and I can be there in fifteen minutes.  Hopefully it will the start of something good.

We have a cathedral in town, of course, and while it's not a village church, it's worth a visit, especially as the bus stop is right outside - cheers.  In Little Maplestead, there is a Round Church that looks fascinating and I would love to go back to  St. Andrews Church, Greensted, the oldest wooden church in the world (says their site), and the oldest ‘Stave Built’ timber building in Europe.
My friend, J, has expressed an interest in coming with me sometimes which will be very nice and she tells me that Gosfield church is worth a visit.

I think I have a plan here, don't you?  Thank you, Sue.

One of the Willingale churches, photo borrowed from the Churches Conservation Trust website.


Edited to add a screen shot from Google Maps.


7 comments:

  1. I think that is going to be a very enjoyable way to spend your summer. We too often find ourselves stopping by the local church on the way to somewhere else. They are quite fascinating places and steeped in history and local stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great idea, Joy....might even borrow it ourselves! (Thanks Joy and Sue!). We need something different to do now that the school holidays are here - there'll be too many tourists around now at our favourite spots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it Joy, we found a very unusual church near Ramsholt in Suffolk which has an oval tower and a lovely view over the river. It was a bit difficult to find and on the way back we were stopped by a nice young man who was with the war graves people and couldn't find the church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this will be interesting to see other counties churches.
    There are 704 Suffolk churches on their website but just 100 in the book but even so it's going to take me an age to get round even half of them.
    (The suffolk churches site has a link to 300 Essex churches so far.......just for starters!)

    (There was a rhyme we used to say at school about Copy Cats but I can't remember it! :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, ladies, for the encouraging words. Sue, I'll take a look at the site you mention, thank you. I've also found some really cheap, second hand books/booklets on Amazon and have ordered a few.I've only just started exploring and already have a good long list. Nice.
    I don't recall a copycat rhyme at all, maybe it wasn't used in Derbyshire - round our way anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it's good to have A PLAN in retirement, it's surprising how quickly the years flash past. Husband retired 20 years ago - it just doesn't seem possible! Until recently, we were both busy as I was writing and interviewing people and visiting historic houses, etc, and we did this together much of the time once he'd retired, and we met some wonderful people that way and saw some lovely places. I don't know that I'd like to go visiting churches per se, I'm not religious but I do appreciate church architecture (well, all interesting architecture) and the regional changes, often according to the local stone from which the buildings were constructed, but if you are religious and do love old churches, then this is a lovely way to spend your time.
    But with your school work and tuition, and churches and your garden and allotment, I'm sure every day will be suitably filled, Joy! Don't overlook time just to sit, to relax, to read or listen to music. That is just as important as 'doing' things.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Margaret. My interest is historical mainly and it seems that there is plenty to see within a very short distance so I've picked a good plan! :-) I'm basically quite a lazy person so I'm sure I will have time to spend in reading, etc.

    ReplyDelete