Sunday, 26 July 2026

Sunday, 26-07-26 - Sandringham Flower Show

 Morning, everyone!  Welcome to Sunday.
Let's get a few things from Friday polished off first.

Eddie (bless him) came round, spent half an hour looking into my laptop (not literally, just exploring the files, etc), said I had more than enough RAM, found something that was causing a bit of a blockage, dealt with that and now things are proper back to normal again.  Phew.

And I've transferred what I need from savings to pay for the hearing aids on Wednesday.  A bit early but better safe than sorry.  I can now finish off the monthly accounts nice and early.

And for anyone who might be concerned (thanks, Annabeth), I don't live near where that dreadful explosion happened on Friday, nor did the smoke cause any issues round here at all, thank goodness. It was close to Hyde Hall, some people have been very affected and I feel for them; also for the fire fighters who had to go to hospital.

Thank goodness no-one was killed (as far as I know)

Now on to yesterday.  I'll just wander chronologically through my photos . . .

It was quite an early start but what a gorgeous day.  At Sandringham it was very hot but there was a breeze that made it all very pleasant.
We got there after ten so it was straight over - a short walk from the coach park, much better than Hampton Court last year.


Just outside the entrance to the show was a tent run by local churches with home made cakes, etc, and cold drinks.  It would have been rude not to have a delicious cheese scone and a can (who knew) of sparking water.


The famous church on the estate, the one we see on the news every Christmas morning when the Royal Family go to church and back again after the service.
It was open and I peeped in but it's only a small place and it was absolutely packed so I didn't bother.



There were some interesting 'pods' on show, all frighteningly expensive and which made me glad for my garden room, even if it's not as quirky!

Mind you -I could go for this - a cool tub would be great in this hot weather and a hot one for when it gets colder!!

There were some lovely greenhouses and lean-to cold frames, etc, which made me wonder about getting a cold frame to go against my house or against the garden room wall.
Something to think about for the future, perhaps.


Mindful Chef (the meal box people) had a show garden that was just what I would do if I had the money.  Obviously the garden room would stay but, as a concept - perfect!

Maybe I was a bit biased because they were handing out really good quality hessian tote bags that were a perfect size for little-legs me and which I will get great use from - but I don't think so.



A riot of flowers

And how they did this, just for the show, is beyond me - they looked as if they're always been there.  Loads of flowers but only a few beans, so far.

Courgettes and, behind them, broad beans, all looking remarkably healthy!  A shame picking wasn't allowed!!

Designed by Sophie Godber, the bumph said "Mindful Chef's Gathering is a living extension of our means.  It mirrors our love for diverse, plant-packed eating and showcases how a vibrant lifestyle starts from the ground up.  It's a riot of colour (I said that above, didn't I?) and flavour, designed to inspire thoughtful, sustainable cooking."

A bit wordy but I could see what they were getting at and I might take a look at their site.

I popped into the Lifestyle marquee - some lovely stuff for sale in there!


It was getting close to lunch time and the queues were building up so I decided to have it early while there were chairs available.  I had this - a Greek chicken wrap and it was absolutely lovely!

This was the stall and there was a queue that grew and grew.  A proper charcoal grill for the meat and you could see everything being assembled.  

I really enjoyed it - it reminded me of Crete.

I couldn't get a better angle for this wooden butterfly.

There are loads of very old trees on the estate which were cordoned round as they could be fragile and unsafe.  

While on the subject of trees, one tree looked weird with things hanging down.  Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be headphones that were tied to branches by their lead.  With them on, you heard a low rumble which was the tree moving and some pop-pop-pop sounds that was water travelling up the capillaries.  It was fascinating, almost musical and rather awesome - and judging by their facial expressions, others thought the same.

A few random photos . . .


I LOVE that name for tadpoles!

I spend a while looking at the Girlguide garden.  My Mum would have loved it - she was a keen Guide, ranger, captain and commissioner all through her life.
I'm not ashamed to say a few tears prickled . . .

This is a bench, seating the other side, and with the Guide promise cut out.  It's changed a lot since my short time as a Guide (and which I can still remember perfectly)

A badge blanket with all the garden/environmental/etc, badges that can be awarded.


The House!!  No union flag flying which was sensible of them.  

There was a small produce tent for fruit and veg - no jams, chutneys etc.
The quality was impressive.
This one was a collaborative entry from some group or other.  

It was hard not to reach out and taste some.


There was some lovely garden furniture plus sculptures, sparkly stuff, nick-nacks, etc, as well as plants.  I wasn't tempted by the sculptures on this stall but there was some lovely furniture and I'm hoping to hear back from him regarding something specific later today.
Tell you more, if . . .

I didn't actually get to see everything as I took my time and didn't rush.  There were talks, music, ice cream vans (mango sorbet cone, yum), all sorts of small displays, stalls, etc.  so I'm not concerned about what I didn't see.

I didn't take photos of everything I saw; there were far too many and lots of people milling round them.

Photo opportunity.  This was very pretty.

Heading back to the coach, I stopped off at the Delphinium restaurant in the Visitor's Centre and treated myself to a lovely pot of tea for one!  Really nice tea, proper tea leaves and a tea strainer and lovely china.
I looked in the shop with half an idea to buy myself a cup, sauce and plate but, my goodness, the prices!
A single tea plate was £20 and, should I foolishly had indulged in a three tier cake stand, it would have set me back £150!  Ouch.  
You will be glad to know I didn't . . .

And finally, as I had ten minutes before I needed to head back to the coach, I sat in an arbour in the shade in indulged in some people watching.

Such a lovely day

I didn't set out to buy anything in particular but, of course, I did get a few things including my fridge magnets, you will be glad to know.
I'll tell you about them in a separate post though - this one is quite long enough as it is.

So - a good journey, great weather and a really lovely day.  And now I have a gentle day to recover . . .






1 comment:

  1. Were the toilet facilities good? You don't mention them. Always important on a day out such as you describe and with the refreshments you consumed. Did you have to queue? Thank you for the photographs and descriptions, now I know what the Sandringham Flower Show is like. I imagined it was one marquee and flowers! And I live here but have never been to Sandringham. Thank you for posting today, I thought you would be too tired! Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete