Thursday 2 December 2021

Thursday: Advent day two

 Good morning, everyone.  The week seems to be going so very quickly, doesn't it?  Yesterday started very pleasantly and ended with rain and it feels pretty cold outside right now.

The day started well with a visit from the lovely Jeff who spent an hour licking my back garden into shape.  The brown bin is now full and the garden looks much emptier and much, much neater.  He really is a blessing.

Then I popped off to M&S and Aldi, later than usual and couldn't you tell.  It was much busier than when I usually go (early morning) but I was pleased to see everyone wearing masks; I don't think I saw one person in either shop without a mask so that was good.
M&S had some very healthy looking poinsettias so, encouraged by the fact that the first one is still well and truly alive, I indulged.

Once home, I tidied up quickly, totally forgetting to take any photos for my other blog (sorry) and then had an hour of personal training with Lindsey online.  I have a nice little collection of equipment now so she was able to keep be busy and challenged.  I felt great afterwards.

The rest of the day was spent in the usual way - housework, knitting and reading.  I'm reading my way through some of the Miss Read books (yet again), working up to her Christmas stories just before The Day.  Also, I did some more wrapping of gifts and goodies!  I think I am nearly there now.

I goofed with the Advent candle.  I lit it and then forgot to check to where it had burned down, only remembering when it was at three - ooops.  So no candle today or tomorrow but I have the candle calendar so that's OK.

Today begins with Chris coming over for our weekly coffee and chat and in the afternoon I am popping quickly over to Julia to pick up some pressies.  Julia is one of our Girls Wot Lunch group, with Beth and Linda but we haven't met f2f for ages now, the last time was nearly two years ago.  Quite apart from the lockdown, we're all, for various reasons, been extremely careful and have stuck to online.
We always have a meet just before Christmas with a gift exchange (not a secret Santa) and I have offered to be Santa's Little Helper and get everything around to everyone.

Today's Christmas prep is to start using the Festive tea towels - I know, I know, but I have several collected over the year so it's a little tradition.  Also, if I can find it, I have a wreath to hang on the front door, just a little artificial one until I go the the wreath making course next weekend (not the one just coming) when, hopefully, I will have a naturel one to put up instead.

Right, well I will love you and leave you with the Advent music.  I'm going to open day two of the Jacquie Lawson calendar now.
Have a great day, be sensible and safe and, as it's so cold, stay warm.  xx

When he wrote The Messiah, good old Handel really got it right, didn't he.  At worst, it's such a rip roaring choral sing song and at best it is absolutely stunning.
I love how the first part focuses in on the Messianic prophecies and I'll probably link to another few in the next few days because they are just so fantastic but today here's one pretty much anyone who has sung in a choir knows, sung by Kings College

'For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful Counsellor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.'
Isaiah 9:6



12 comments:

  1. Poor Jeff.. I bet his tongue was sore :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought 'What????' and then the penny dropped. lol
      xx

      Delete
  2. Have fun with your festive tea-towels!!

    I stepped outside the front door to see why the car windscreen looked so odd and it was because it was covered by frozen rain spots -I stepped back indoors pretty sharpish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I popped out to put next door's bin to the front and brrrrrr - as you say, back inside pronto!
      But no frozen raindrops - yet anyway.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Cold here too. I have just finished Christmas at Thrush Green and just starting Over the Gate - I also enjoy Miss Read books and at this time of year are a real boon as they always help me sleep and take away all the Christmas 'still to do's' circulating in my brain when I should be sleeping. Have a good day and enjoy drying up with the tea towels. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such lovely stories, aren't they, despite the inconsistencies and lack of aging! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  4. Hope you enjoy your coffee with Chris, and also your Santa's Little Helper duties. Is Beth feeling better now?

    I love The Messiah and Kings College Choir always add that extra special quality to whatever they sing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's slowly feeling better thanks, Eileen. I've done my Santa bit and have a bag of goodies to distribute! :-)

      It really is one of the best, if not THE best, choir in the whole world, I think.
      xx

      Delete
  5. King's College choir's Messiah is definitely hard to beat.

    Having a brief respite from the cold over the Pond where I live...was 6c for a high on Tuesday and today the high will be 17c. Back to single digit highs by Monday and 0c by Monday night. Whipsaw weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my, 17C is very warm for this time of year, isn't it. I hope you have sun as well.
      xx

      Delete
  6. I love Handel's Messiah. I had some help with firewood splitting today. It really makes life easier when someone else is doing the chores with you. Your son sounds so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your blog,I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in
    traffic density,which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
    ស្លតកាស៊ីណូអនឡាញ
    Dragon Tiger

    ReplyDelete