Wednesday 11 November 2020

Lest we forget


 I am not a badge of honour,
I am not a racist smear,
I am not a fashion statement,
To be worn but once a year,
I am not glorification
Of conflict or of war.
I am not a paper ornament
A token,  I am more.

I am a loving memory,
Of a father or a son,
A permanent reminder
Of each and every one.

I am paper or enamel
I'm old or shining new,
I'm a way of saying thank you,
To every one of you.

I am a simple poppy
A Reminder to you all,
That courage, faith and honour,
Will stand where heroes fall.



They shall not grow old as those who are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them or the years condemn,
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

Lest we forget

(found on Facebook)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting that :) beautiful and true

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually appreciate that type of poetry but that one hit home, somehow. Very true.
      xx

      Delete
  2. It does indeed hit home Joy!! Very emotive!! Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That choked me up. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete