Wednesday 20 May 2020

Wednesday

Morning, everyone.
What a fantastic day's weather we had yesterday.  So warm, sunny from dawn to dusk and a gentle breeze.  Today looks like the same and on Thursday, possibly, we will have some rain.  Can't complain about that.

After the SW online meeting and my chat with Chris, I plucked up the courage to start on the garden shed.

The black bin (not being emptied until a week tomorrow) is now chokka apart from just enough space for one more black bag of household rubbish.  That will be enough as one person doesn't normally generate all that much refuse, not with all the other recycling boxes and bags we have.

To my delights, Jeff said he would be happy to take over the spare mower; I have two because the one I had was cable electric and then we needed to get a battery powered one for the allotment.  I don't need two, nor do I have the space, so had decided to get rid of the former.  It's in the garage now (one of only two items I moved to the garage - yay) so today I will get it out again and give it a good wipe down and clean up before he pick it up tomorrow.

I was surprised at a few discoveries.  I found a few garden tools I had forgotten about and one I had been looking for, I now have enough write-on garden labels to last a lifetime and, maybe best of all, a little bucket barbecue, very similar to this (photo copied and pasted from Images)
Buy Argos Home Bucket BBQ | Barbecues | Argos
I've put charcoal on my shopping list for Friday and, assuming the weather lasts, I will plan in a mini barbecue over the weekend as a treat.
One nice thing is that it will be very easy to keep clean, being so small.

I have one corner and the shelves still to sort out and any rubbish from that will have to sit in black bags for eight days until the bins are emptied, unless I can find a neighbour with space in their bin.

All in all, a very satisfying day's work and it's good to have room in the shed again and to be able to get at my garden table.  That will go up today under the tree so I can eat outside in comfort.

I went to water the allotment early evening.  All is still well.  There's a few evil weeds daring to come up so they are on the list.  Apart from them, mowing and watering, there's a bit of a lull in the work right now, which is nice.

Today, I plan to get to the garden centre when it opens and invest in some large pots and then get them filled with soil.  I'm using a mix of potting compost and garden compost from the bottom of the compost bin.  It makes a lovely, tactile mixture and I hope the tomatoes like it.

I'd like to get that last little bit of the shed sorted out and then I can decide where things can go for most efficient use.  I also need to sort out various small garden 'things' and put them into separate little boxes (I have plenty!!) - thing like those garden labels, string and twine, cane toppers, etc.  I also have a good collection of the lovely Wolf Garten tools and detachable handles and I need to get them sorted and into plastic boxes so they don't get lost under other things.

I reckon that's enough to keep me out of trouble for most of the day.  The elephant wasn't as indigestible as I thought it would be, thankfully.

Have a good day, everyone.  Stay safe and - what's the latest? - alert!  xx



14 comments:

  1. Isn't that often the way you put a job off dreading it then when you actually get stuck in it turns out to be less of a chore than you thought. Then the pleasure when it is done is imense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it really is. You'd think that, by now and at my age, I'd have taken that properly on board, wouldn't you? < rueful smile >
      xx

      Delete
  2. You certainly found a lot of treasures in your elephant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. < grin > I did, didn't I? It was, surprisingly, quite an enjoyable experience - apart from finding evidence of little animal invaders. Oh well, if I will live next door to the country!
      xx

      Delete
  3. Well that was a job definitely worth completing. Plenty of re-discovered treasures there. My wardrobe is your shed - I've put off clearing it out for weeks now, but given today's weather forecast it will be waiting a little longer. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally sympathise. It's nt the day for inside clearing.
      xx

      Delete
  4. I love a good shed sort and tidy then stand back and admire, for a few days at least. We were watering the allotment at 7 this morning it was glorious. As there was no one else about we wandered to look at other plots. It always interests me what people reuse and repurpose on their plots. An old bicycle wheel on a post looks great with wires or canes to grow beans up. We were lucky to get old dismantled picnic sets from our local pub that Dave us made into really solid raised beds. Of course pallets get made in t o a huge number of things. Have you seen Lovely Greens website? She makes a great cucumber frame from a small pallet though I must admit to not being quite that bothered to. Think I may post some more FB photos soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, before I went to bed last night, I popped to the shed, just to have a good look around. Most satisfying.
      By tonight it will all be done, every bit, apart from dumping the bin bags.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Oh and watched two beautiful woodpeckers busy on a fence post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely! The birds seem to be neglecting my garden right now. Maybe the starlings scared them away - who knows?
      xx

      Delete
  6. Well done! I like your bucket barbecue and may suit my needs - roughly what size is it please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 27 cms diameter across the top and, when on it's little legs, it is 22 cm vertical. Really not very big at all. I reckon I could cook a chicken breast, a sausage and a burger on it without any hassle. Not a lot (none, actually) of heat control. It has the cooking grid and then, inside the bucket, another grid for the charcoal to sit on.
      The picture I 'borrowed' from Google Images was, I think, from Argos, and I am sure Amazon would have them too.
      Yes, Argos does. It's called an Argos home bucket BBQ and it's a tenner.
      Here's the link. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3425015?clickSR=slp:term:small%20barbecue:29:1130:2
      xx

      Delete
    2. In fact, it's a bit posher - it has an inner bucket as well.
      xx

      Delete
    3. Oh, so tempting! Thanks for the link

      Delete