Tuesday 26 May 2020

Tuesday

Good morning, everyone.  A gorgeous day yesterday and today looks like being more of the same, although it's a bit cool at the moment.  I popped to the shed to get today's food from the freezer and wished I had put on my dressing gown.  However, the sun is shining, the sky is clear and the cushions will be going out soon!

Yesterday started off with a feeling of dullness, of boredom, combined with some anger at certain political shenanigans that I don't intend to rant about here.  That soon dissipated as parcels started arriving (orders, not presents) including, to my surprise, the growbag watering topper thingies which I wasn't expecting for a week yet.  I was really pleased with that and, in the afternoon, set to with compost heap, bag of potting stuff, spade, trowel and pots to get the last five little tomato plants out in their forever place.
Evidence!!!

They've survived overnight and seem to have continued growing nicely!

I now have a variety of types; gardener's delight, sungold, and the stripy tiger thingies from the raffle prize, plus one sneaky little sweet millions that jumped into the trolley while I wasn't looking!
No large Italian plum type, which is a bit of a gap but, given that at one point I was panicking about having any at all, I'm not complaining.

Great news.


Not only can I now see four little runner beans at home, yesterday evening there were also four down the allotment.  Yay!
Sadly, the second squash is no more but I have a back up at home and, after a suggestion from 'The Awakened Soul' in yesterday's comments, I shall first see if I have any seeds left and, if I do, I'll try planting a couple of seeds straight out there.
All else is well out there.

I know I'm going on rather about all things horticultural at the moment because it occupies a considerable part of my time and quite a lot of my thoughts right now.  I guess it's loads better the musing on current affairs which are, frankly, quite depressing.

Another nice thing is that, after an exchange of texts with my dear friend, Jackie, we decided that it would be within 'rules' and perfectly safe to meet up in my garden for coffee and then go for a distanced walk out together.  So we set a date and I'm so excited - it's the first organised face to face contact with anyone other than family for weeks, although I have had a few chats with friends in Morrisons and yesterday, on my way back from my walk, I had a ten minute or so chat with one of my tuition families, me on the pavement, more or less, and they by the front door,  That was unexpected and very, very pleasant.

So a day that started off very dull and boring feeling ended up really pleasant.

Today looks to be nice.
At ten, it's our weekly Zoom Slimming World meeting (one pound off - yay) which is always a laugh and then the weekly Messenger chat with Chris is this afternoon as she couldn't make this morning.

Between those there's the ever present gardening including potting on the little chilli plants and putting the parsley into bigger pots.  Also, I planted some aster seeds for colour later on and they are doing nicely too.  I'm hoping Beth will take some of them.  There's also allotment work.  That's watering, battling the weeds and talking to the plants!  If I find any squash seeds, I'll pop a couple in the space left by the dead one and plan out exactly where I want the tomatoes to go.  There aren't a lot of spaces but there are a few.

All the above, together with meals, etc, seem to punctuate the day rather nicely.  I do like an organised day as long as, from time to time, I can have an un-organised day too.
May everything go well for you today and stay alert, stay safe.  xx

14 comments:

  1. My water butts are nearly empty now although the warmth and sunshine is lovely, rain at night would be handy.
    Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what Dad said yesterday. I gather there may be some coming next week, fingers crossed. Overnight would be top of my list! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. I had sweet millions last year - they were very good. Have a lovely walk and coffee together. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Viv. I had them a few years ago - great bursts of sweetness but skins were a bit tough. Maybe that was weather conditions that year and they were nice enough for me to grab - er, I mean, for it to jump in the trolley!
      xx

      Delete
  3. Excuse my ignorance but why do you use the growbag toppers in the tomato pots, please?

    Congratulations on the weight loss. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because they increase the depth and, most important, provide a reservoir for water on those very hot days. They're really good for that.
      And thank. Under half a stone to target now and I don't need to be brave to wear my jeggings (with a suitably long top, of course). :-)
      xx

      Delete
  4. I continue to love your blog. You are so ambitious. I live in an apartment complex and do miss the tomatoes. I also love your positive attitude when we are living in this time of crisis. You are an inspiration to many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - that's a lovely thing to say, thanks, Brenda.
      xx

      Delete
  5. It feel good to spend time sowing and growing just now. The tomatoes are looking great. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. Good for the soul and spirit as well as physically.
      I'm so looking forward to picking my first tomatoes for breakfast, fried and on toast! A great favourite.
      xx

      Delete
  6. I'm into horticultural things now, too, with my little plants on our back porch growing nicely. I will hopefully have tomatoes, squash and cucumbers to enjoy this summer. Fingers crossed! Have a wonderful day, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Debbie. The flavour is unsurpassed when you grow it yourself.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Tomatoes are looking good, we too have them in pots, can't wait for that first one warm from the sun and fresh off the vine.. nice to meet friends out. I am still floating around trying to make friends since moving here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hellooooo it was miserable here first thing which was fine because I sat and knit watching The A word which I am hooked on! I can't believe its Wednesday already tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete