Sunday 24 May 2020

Sunday

Good morning, all!  Yesterday turned out to be a bit of an odd day as far as the weather was concerned.  Sunny times, cloudy times, warm and cool, even a bit of rain but not enough to be of any use and, throughout the whole day, a very stiff breeze.  In fact, it is still quite blowy now but 'they' say it should die down by the evening,

Strong wind notwithstanding, it was a lovely day yesterday, a pleasant mixture of busy and lazy.

I met with Beth down the allotment and we worked together to smarten things up.  We decided that the shed really wasn't anywhere near needing a tidy out so we didn't.  No point making work.  I crawled around, dealing with random weeds while Beth gave everything a good watering (which takes longer than it sounds).  When she had finished, we sat down and had our lunch and some coffee while we chatted away about this, that and the other.

Everything's growing well apart from the runner beans, which haven't emerged yet.  I'm getting a bit concerned about them after my experiences last year at home when not one seed grew.  They haven't started at home yet and, if it isn't for the fact that I have planted them in two different places, I'd be starting to think there was a problem with the soil.
I shall give them until next weekend and if there are no signs by then, I will give in and buy baby plants, as I had to last year.  Maybe I need to start them off in little pots, although you are supposed to be able to plant them direct into the soil from mid-May onward.

Apart from that, everything is absolutely fine and doing nicely.

Back home, I got some more tomatoes into pots and out.  I'm now just waiting on some 'growbag  watering pots', not because I'm using growbags but because they are great on pots too, as they provide both a bit of extra depth and a very useful reservoir for water on those hot days.


Like this!

I planted up all the other pots I have apart from the five new ones because I'm waiting on another set of watering pots for them.  The remaining tomatoes won't hurt for another week of being in a pot.

It's going to look like a tomato nursery along the fence by the time I've finished!!

Later on, I set things up for the barbecue.  It was so gusty, it took me ages to get it alight as the matches kept being blown out, but I managed with the help of a firelighter!  After the flames had settled and the charcoal had settled to a dull glow, I got the food on and thoroughly enjoyed sitting out, watching it all cook and reading my Kindle between times (I'm re-reading and old favourite, Scarlet Feather, by Maeve Binchey).
For a diddy little thing with precious little scope for temperature control, it managed really well, although there was one scary point when I thought the bottom was breaking apart.  It wasn't, it was just the red paint scorching and peeling off so now, instead of a red bucket, I have one with a fetching black stripe around the bottom.

It just needs a good clean now.



I will definitely be using it again, very soon.  It really is only big enough for one person as you do need a bit of space to move food around.

I need to get some longer handled tongues or similar though.











Today is a day with nothing on the 'to do' list, not even the allotment as Beth is going to water today.  It feels rather good.
I might stay in my bed things a bit longer than usual, I might go for that long overdue walk, I will probably get soil into the remaining pots, ready for when the top bits arrive, I will read and lounge in the sun (when it is there) and - oh, thought of one thing - those new perennial plants are now nicely happy and need to be planted out, three round the front and one round the back.
So that's one thing I really ought to do.  No, two, because the bucket needs a clean!

I wonder if Beth would like to come round for distanced coffee and chat in the garden.  I'll give her an invite and see.

It feels like it's going to be a really lovely day!  Excellent!  I hope yours is too.  xx

14 comments:

  1. Glad to hear both the picnic and BBQ went well and hope Beth takes you up on your coffee invite today. It sounds like you have a lovely day planned for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it, thanks. I just need the sun now! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. It's never even crossed my mind to light a barbie for myself... I will from now on and might even occasionally buy a disposable barbie as I reckon it would be a treat now and then on a sunny afternoon to light it up. We got rid of our huge but never used barbie. It took up so much space and we simply never ever used it. I bought some new fresh runner bean seeds as the ones from last year didn't come to anything. I have rainbow chard and purple kale seeds on order too. When they arrive I can pop a few of each in an envelope for you if you like... I am planning on growing some in big pots in my flower border. They will look lovely all through the winter and best of all I get to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have occurred to me, had I not found the wee bucket. I've not cleaned it up and it was so very easy to wash. Everything fitted in the sink!

      If you have seeds to spare, that would be really kind of you, thanks very much.
      xx

      Delete
  3. We've a BBQ planned for tomorrow, so get ready as it might rain! ha ha I did garden a bit yesterday, cleared up an area of trees and shrubs which is what we look out onto from our kitchen window and planted up my 2 summer pots. My home grown seedlings are still rather small, but they'll grow. I miss going to a Nursey for plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! What a pain.
      The summer pots sound lovely and will give pleasure all through the summer.
      xx

      Delete
  4. It's definitely something I will do again very soon, hopefully when it's calmer and easier to light!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. It was. The sun is gradually emerging today too and, with the breeze, it's not too warm either.
      xx

      Delete
  6. I've never really got on board with barbecuing, but if the good weather is to continue it might just encourage me. Something like your little red bucket would suit me fine. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten I bought it ages and ages ago. The main thing for me was all the cleaning up afterwards but it was so very easy.
      Argos sells the buckets.
      xx

      Delete
  7. I have size envy over your tomato plants - but then we are much further north. Maybe with your beans you could warm the soil up first with a cloche before planting directly into the ground.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a thought. I'll think about it seriously - warming the ground or starting them off in little pots. Or maybe one method down the allotment and the other at home. Do you think the soil was too cold?
      I'm pleased the tomatoes are growing so nicely but in the end they all seem to catch up with each other, don't they?
      xx

      Delete
  8. , (Michael Kors Outlet) Portuguese toast, As well as sunbronze out there. The manufactured (New Yeezys 2020) solitary comes with a solid hold the actual (Cheap Jordan Shoes Websites) pedals, And also also the casually shock absorbing foot bed boasts excess (Coach Outlet Online) security. You (New Jordan Releases 2020) have nine hues choices on ebay properly much better sort of option readily designed for make a choice shapes..

    To beneficial look breathtaking associated with gran, Albano offers getting well-made boots and boots or boots(Abstain plastic-type material on top of that affordable gazing all fabrics!). Choose present day technology much more information e. G. It (Jordan Shoes For Sale Online) doesn't matter what the borrower software, Skeleton pros could certainly complete the (Ray Ban Outlet Store) decision. What brings about a very hit applying the population pair is the towards decoration and the complete staff's remarkable quality. If you have no concept how they can metal framework something, Case Terry (Coach Outlet Store Online) Nelson with his worker can invariably reveal to you techniques when flaunt ones beauty pictures in the very best of flowerbeds.

    ReplyDelete