Thursday 23 September 2021

Thursday

 Good morning.

You know how much I love a list.  Well, I've started my list for half term.  I know I have been retired for six years plus now but, even so, I still think of it as half term and, I guess, I always well.  You see, it marks the time to do certain bits and bobs.

On October 19th, I will start the Christmas cake.  It's easy to remember that one as it was Mum's birthday.  I won't make the actual cake, just get all the dried fruit in to soak.  As always, I will use Delia's recipe, adapted to include lots of dried cranberries and Cointreau instead of brandy (assuming we have Cointreau by then!).  It will soak for a fortnight before meeting the rest of the ingredients for a taste fiesta in the oven!

It's Beth's birthday a week later.  Poor old Beth, she always had a half term birthday so never got to do the birthday thing in assembly on the actual day.  Somehow, it's not quite the same on another day.  Anyway - I will do a nice tea and she has asked me to make a cheesecake for it - I think I've mentioned this before.

Over half term, I always get the turkey ordered from Kelly's of Danbury.  However, this year we are doing things a bit differently, beef for Christmas and turkey at New Year and I won't be getting a proper turkey.  However, they do just the breast as a joint and I think that's what I will order.  When it comes, I can cut it into smaller amounts as required and freeze it.  So that's on the list too.

Yesterday was another absolutely gloriously sunny day, just perfect really.  I did housework in the morning, had my hair-do at twelve, had a chat to Alex who was over for another interview and popped out for personal training at just after two.  I'm feeling a bit achey this morning which shows it was a good workout, I think.

I spent the rest of the day enjoying the sunshine although it does start getting quite chilly by late afternoon nowadays.

Today I have the usual Thursday shop followed by a chat with Chris.  Later on I might pop to B&M to see if they have more Christmas stuff in (bet they haven't!) and then I want to do the allotment digging I have been putting off all week!
So that's the day done and dusted and it should be a good-un.  What are your plans?  xx

10 comments:

  1. I feel Beth's pain ;) My birthday is during the summer break, so it was always the same for me.
    There's something quite lovely about traditions during particular times of the year, and the memories they evoke. I find myself recieving Google photograph reminders, only to discover having done the same activity exactly twelve months previously.
    A much less busy day for me. I think I will do some baking. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sympathies. It's almost as bad as having your birthday on Christmas day, like Anna does, bless her.
      I dearly love a bit of tradition too. As you say, they represent memories and things personally important.
      Enjoy your baking. xx

      Delete
  2. B and M here were filling shelves with Christmas stuff yesterday. It feels as though it's come around quickly this year. Beef for us too for a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they fear another lockdown and are getting stuff in earlier. Or maybe it's just me looking earlier.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Miss C is a Christmas Day birthday so she has a half year party with friends in June so that she doesn't miss out.

    I stopped making Christmas cake years ago as it never got eaten. Nothing to do with my baking I hasten to add, just not a favourite with either of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend's daughter does that too - had a half-birthday in June/July. It's a good idea.
      I share mine out around the family - it was a fifth each for me, Beth and Alex, Dave and Anna, brother John and Dad. This year it will be a quarter, of course.
      I love a bit of Christmas cake, even more so since I started using Cointreau instead of brandy.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Your Christmas cake sounds wonderful! It’s great planning on your part to start the process now. I need to do that with the supplies we will need for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it never hurts to be ahead of oneself. It saves a lot of hassle later on.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Good for you on getting your list going. I think I had better get started on mine and make sure that I have all that we need.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to feel on top of things, isn't it? xx

      Delete