Tuesday 13 August 2024

Tuesday evening, 13-08-24

Hi, everyone.  Yes, it has been warm again but below 30C today and with a really pleasant breeze and it's been gorgeous.

Yesterday I bought two things which arrived today.

I think I must be entering my second childhood!  The idea came to me and I just couldn't resist ordering this!
I just hope I won't succumb to garden gnomes now - no, surely not . . it isn't possible - is it???

In case any of you don't know the song, I will post the lyrics and a YouTube link at the bottom.  Obviously, it is a children's' song.

That was one of yesterday's purchases.

This is the other.  Who knows what it is?  Post in comments . . .

Apart from those arrivals, it's been quite a busy day.

Chris and I walked down to the hall for Groove, got hot and sweaty, walked back again and cooled down nicely because we were in shade much of the way and there was a lovely breeze a-blowing.

Then the car was picked up for the MOT and a major service - and there was other work recommended too.  It didn't fail the MOT at all, things like brakes, tyres and so on are absolutely fine but certain things needed replacing/refilling and, because of its age, there was stuff recommended.  Reasonably expensive stuff but I wanted it done because one would be daft not to and this car has been so trouble free over the years; this is the first more expensive service it has had.
So they have kept the car in and will do the work tomorrow, dropping it back afterwards all clean and shiny because they do a 'complimentary valet'.

Not showing off or anything, but I do save a certain percentage of my income each month into short term savings for exactly this sort of inevitable expense so the money is there and has been transferred across for payment tomorrow.
And I now need to start considering when to replace the car.  I think I will see how next year's service goes and progress from there.

While the car was off the drive and as soon as the sun was off it too, I got out the relevant tools and gave the paving a good scrape over to clear the weeds.  It looks really good and clean now so it was worth the sweat and the time it took.
I will tackle the part that belongs to next door too while they are away on holiday but my bit was enough for today.

As I don't know when the car will be back, I have been in conversation with Lindsey and she's giving me a slot for personal training on Thursday morning.  I am so lucky that she is so very adaptable and understanding, aren't I?  

So it has been quite a day today.  I'm going to get this posted early (it's only five thirty) and then chill.  I do hope you have had a satisfying day too and all the best for the evening and tomorrow.  xx

Cauliflowers fluffy and cabbages greenStrawberries are sweeter than any I've seenBeetroots purple and onions whiteAll grow steadily day and night
The apples are ripe, the plums are redThe broadbeans are sleepin' in a blankety bed
Blackberries are juicy and rhubards are sourMarrows are fattening hour by hourGooseberries hairy and lettuces fatRadishes round and runner beans flat
The apples are ripe, the plums are redThe broadbeans are sleepin' in a blankety bed
Orangey carrots and turnips creamReddening tomatoes that used to be greenBrown potatoes in little heapsDown in the darkness where the celery sleeps
The apples are ripe, the plums are redThe broadbeans are sleepin' in a blankety bed



18 comments:

  1. I love the sign - but you knew I would;-)
    Is the other thing a cake mould or something similar?
    I understand how you feel about your car. We have to make a decision soon, I think. Too much unreliability and fearsomely expensive repairs, but we really don't want a car with all the bells and whistles, when replacing a light bulb might entail removing and replacing an entire body part. Cars are far too sophisticated now. Even the garages say so . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was pretty sure you would. :-)
      No, nothing to do with cakes . . .
      It's all completely closed units now, isn't it. One of the jobs could cost a certain amount or nothing at all, it depends on what they have to do when they start. Until they start, they don't know.
      We are very much at the mercy of the garage/mechanic.
      Oh, well. That's life. xx

      Delete
  2. My car is coming up for its first MOT and hopefully nothing expensive needs done. We took out a five year service plan so hopefully this will cover the service and we’ll pay for the MOT. It’s a hybrid automatic Honda Jazz Crosstar and I really enjoy driving it. My other car was 7 years old and beginning to need a few expensive bits and pieces plus new tyres. Fingers crossed yours isn’t away too long. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, it is ten years old now and this really is the first more expensive service. I really can't complain. But I think it might be new car time in a year or so. I'm very thankful/grateful that I can afford it. xx

      Delete
  3. Cute sign. I've never heard that song before. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect it is much better known in the primary teacher 'community'. It's a bit of a classic - a blast from the past, if you like. I've always loved it. xx

      Delete
  4. Very cute sign, and the song lyrics are as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sweet, aren't they? I've always liked it. xx

      Delete
  5. Bowl storage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No . . . nothing to do with storage. :-) xx

      Delete
  6. The sign is brilliant, I have no idea what the other item is!
    TQ for the song words, so sweet.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clue - microwave.
      Yes, it is a lovely song. xx

      Delete
  7. The blankety song is delightful! Hopefully, your broad beans will soon poke through and fold down the blanket. No idea about the mystery object, Salad Spinner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no a salad spinner. :-)
      It is a lovely little song, isn't it? xx

      Delete
  8. Well I thought it was a cake mould but now I haven't a clue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's better to get the car done now before things go wrong! They can last a good while if taken care of.
    No idea what it is. Can't wait to read on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, exactly. And if it is a recommended thing for the car's age (or maybe mileage), I would be silly to say no.
      xx

      Delete