Sunday 19 November 2023

Sunday, 19-11-23

 Good morning, everyone, and  happy Sunday greetings to you.  How are things?

This may sounds daft but I'm starting by wishing Happy Birthday to my Dad.  He would have been ninety five today.  I still miss him (and Mum) terribly - that won't stop - but once Mum passed away he was very unhappy most of the time and I'm glad he didn't have to be so sad for all that long.
Love you, Dad.

Moving on - the plasterer turned up as promised, finished plastering throughout in between drinking numerous mugs of coffee, cleared up and left mid afternoon.

Meanwhile, I did the SET online class and then settled to some most enjoyable kitchen stuff.  
I baked a couple of small loaves of bread which I have just sliced and popped into the freezer.
I made a couple of portions of tomato, roasted red pepper and lentil soup, one for this evening and one for the freezer.  I threw in the very last remaining garden tomatoes that have been patiently ripening by the window so that really is it for the year now.  I have some passata and peeled tomatoes in the freezer and that's all.  It's been a good year for tomatoes, I think.
In the afternoon, I used Thermione linked to Cookidoo to make some rich shortcrust pastry which I then used to make some mince pies using some black forest mincemeat from last year (bought, not home made).  After taste testing two (just in case the first one was a quirk, you understand), the rest are now in the freezer and I think I will make one more batch another time to finish off the jar of mincemeat.

I put a battery in the clock I bought and used one of those new no-damage stick-on hooks to get it up as it's really very, very lightweight (and cheap!!)

In a way, it's a try out.  I was so unsure about size, etc, or even whether I would really like it as much as I thought I would so, when I saw this one which wasn't all that much really, I bought it.

I rather like the effect although I think when I get a better one at some point in the future, I think I will get one slightly bigger.  It doesn't help that the sideboard is somewhat cluttered at the moment - I must get that sorted out.

Strictly at Blackpool was pretty good although I though tens were scattered around like confetti and, maybe to contrast, Craig was even more nit-picky than usual.  To me, it's fairly clear who ought to be in the dance off and also who ought to go this week.  No spoilers here; it makes me sad but fair is fair and I suspect they won't get the 'fan vote' as much as the other couple.  It's decided now, of course, but I never go looking for spoilers.

Today I want to pop out to B&M, pretty much the last molto cheapo big store I haven't looked through yet this season.  Suitcases are on the list, of course, as well as starting to look for Christmas presents for friends.  Also on the list is roasted red peppers which sounds a bit random, I know, but I always have a jar in use and haven't been able to get any for love or money over recent weeks which is quite frustrating.

Once home, there's washing to start and then I have a list of 'sort outs', just small tasks that never seem to get done.  I also want to dig out one of Lindsey's workouts - I always feel invigorated afterwards and it warms me up so nicely.
So it will be an easy, satisfying, gentle, pottering sort of day.  Nice.
How about you?  What's on your list today?  xx

23 comments:

  1. If you've a Lidl they usually have big jars of roasted peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aldi usually does, and Morrisons, but not recently. I'll check Lidl if I have no luck with B&M, thanks, Ruth. xx

      Delete
  2. Here's to happy memories of your Dad. I like that clock, Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sooze - thankfully, I have loads of happy memories.
      I like the clock too. It looks better than the photo indicates and it's nice to have something to make a feature.
      xx

      Delete
  3. We got our current suitcases from Matalan and they've lasted very well. Love the clock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matalan is good for lots of things, isn't it? Not that I heed an excuse to go back there - I love looking round Matalan! :-)
      And thanks. I think it looks OK there too - well, more than OK really. xx

      Delete
  4. I like your skeleton clock. I'd like one but don't know where I'd put it. It's dry here today - so far - but windy, so more leaves will be blown down. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of leaves, for sure, swirling around in the breeze. Very autumnal, very atmospheric.
      The clock is nice for what it is, I think. I've decided when I get my forever one, I would ideally like a bigger one but, for now, it's good. xx

      Delete
  5. You are shopping for your cruise and Sooze for her forever home. I am excited for both of you. Also your new room. I am at the stage in my life where less is more. I don’t do shopping un less for family. My traveling exc to family almost over. Have been to 46 states and Canada a few times. England two times which wow wow wow. I am not sure if you have visited Stratford upon Avon…prob have…but my two times there were awesome. Of course I am a Shakespeare person so…I loved loved London. Museums and churches and little pubs…most of my time at the Globe. My favorite city NYC. Went many times when my son did those marathons there and my daughter joined us. I have a grand working there now but am waiting u til Covid is even less. I fly to Indiana to family. I enjoy your blog so much. Thank you for letting us into your journey. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda - what a lovely thing to say.
      I haven't been to Stratford on Avon although Mum and Dad had some sort breaks there. I'm looking out for a coach trip.
      You really have been all over, haven't you? xx

      Delete
    2. You can’t miss S upon Avon…the walks…the the old boat…the plays…the birthplace…pubs…and maybe be day a trip to Anne Hathaway’s cottage…tea there delightful….the Globe a fav…when my grand was studying there she took a selfie in front of the Globe where Nana stood. My month in DC and month n Mass. and weeks in England on government scholarships in my 50’s and early 60,s as a Shakespeare teacher. Could never have afforded it…enjoy your trips…cruises I don’t do. We live in Florida…cruises leave from Florida. I do not want to do that and never have even before Covid.

      Delete
    3. It wounds lovely and, yes, definitely one day. xx

      Delete
  6. A nice gentle sort of day Joy; hope you find a bargain in B&M, we have bought our Christmas tree from there and its always been super.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find a few things - nothing I saw particularly looking for though. The decorations were lovely although I don't need any more this year so I pretty much desisted. xx

      Delete
  7. Yes, it feels good to get the endorphins going. I need to change the batteries in my clocks, too. I need to do some laundry and run the dogs on the Walkydog. Later on, I'll start knitting a new pair of socks, and do some yoga at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really does. Warms both body and spirit, I think. Have a lovely day. xx

      Delete
  8. Our Dads share a birthday. I wished mine a Happy Birthday as well. I miss the phone calls the most.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the emails for me. EVery single day, often several times. My first instinct still when I do something is to tell Dad.
      (((( hugs )))) I know how it feels, I really do. xx

      Delete
  9. Just two random comments although I had thoughts on nearly all parts of your blog. I'm down to three of the indoor ripening tomatoes - they were excellent here too. Roasted red peppers are really easy to make at home. I roast them in my toaster oven for just 10 minutes then leave them to steam for a while. Easy peasy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a toaster? Wow, that's a new one on me. Don't they get stuck down the slot - or do you have a hinged one?
      You're right though - I could do them in the air fryer perhaps - turning the oven on just for that is pretty expensive.
      Thanks, Chris. xx

      Delete
    2. No, it's a small oven that toasts as well as bakes! I do them under the broiler until the skin is charred.

      Delete
    3. Ah - a clever gadget! Thanks for explaining. xx

      Delete
  10. Your insights are truly eye-opening. Thank you for broadening my perspective.

    ReplyDelete