Monday 29 June 2020

Monday

Morning, everyone.  The weather was so variable yesterday.  We had sun, rain, wind . . . and some more rain overnight.  Today is supposed to be 'light cloud and a fresh breeze' and the breeze certainly is fresh as I discovered when I went to get today's stuff out of the freezer.  Brrrr.

Looky look!!!


First beans and first potatoes.  This is a third of what we picked/dug up as it was shared between me, Beth and Alex.  The beans are pretty small and maybe we should have left them a bit longer but . . .
So this evening it's salmon, broad beans, new potatoes and some other veg of some kind (most likely broccoli).  Couldn't have it last night as dinner was already prepared before I went to the allotment.

The corn is shooting up, as are the runners, the sunflowers have buds, the tomatoes have flowers, there's one cucumber to pick soon, the squashes have now decided to stay around and are starting to spread and we have three little (VERY little) yellow courgettes.  You'd not know they were there except that they are yellow so show up, unlike below the male flowers!

And lots and lots of weeds - although fewer weeds than yesterday morning!  We fight back!

However - oh, dear.


Just too much fruit.  Shame but there you go.  It's still partly attached so we'll leave it there and see.  We can deal with it later on in the year.

We were cut short by some heavy rain but, despite the rain we've been having over the weekend, parts  of the ground were pretty dry.  Hopefully I can go today (leaving the guttering men working) and give everything a good soaking as well as attacking more weeds.

Today, apart from a possible allotment visit, is empty as I'll need to be around most of the day - and certainly later on to pay out another highly eye-watering cheque.  That's the last one though, thank goodness.

What do you have planned for today?  xx


P.S. does anyone know the name of this grass, please?


20 comments:

  1. Morning Joy. Oh what a shame about the apple tree branch, I wonder if there's something you can do with little immature apples? I imagine they'd be good for pectin if nothing else. The broad beans and potatoes will be so lovely tonight, you'll really enjoy your dinner. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're rather hoping they will continue to mature, as the branch hasn't snapped all the way through so fingers crossed.
      I'm so looking forward to dinner!! :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Oh no! What a shame about the tree. Looking out of the window I can already see I will be tying up my sunflowers again this morning. They've received a bit of a battering from the wind and rain. Fingers crossed they haven't snapped. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they are OK.
      I'm sure the tree will be fine in the longer term but later on, we need to sort out the other side to balance it out again.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Broad beans are always a disappointment when compared to the size of their pod - until they get bigger and go all mealy - you'll guess I don't grow them!
    Enjoy your meal tonight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never call broad beans a disappointment - I love them! We'll just have to keep picking them (oh, the hardship) to prevent them getting too old, I guess.
      :-)
      xx

      Delete
  4. I love young broad beans in their skins and unshucked and cut the same as runner beans. Sweated in just a little bit of water and butter with a finely chopped shallot, seasoned with salt and pepper. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had them in their skins - that's a different idea.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Oh, that's a shame about the apple tree. Let's home the fruit continues to mature. It sounds like things are growing nicely at the allotment. I love baby broad beans so may be a little envious!

    I don't really have any plans for today. It's cold and windy so I will stay at home and probably get on with photographing items for sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just trying to work up enough enthusiasm to get myself out and about. It's cold and windy and I've actually turned on the heating for a while. Not a nice day at all.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Enjoy that homegrown meal. Shame about the branch - I am not sure what shape our two apple trees in Scotland will be in when we get to see them. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if they look like having an exceptionally heavy crop and with the wind, I'm not surprised. When are you planning to return to Scotland?
      xx

      Delete
    2. Very soon - Nicola is opening up Scotland to self contained holiday places which we would fall under. The problem might be more that there are no services from the border at Gretna down to the Mull where our cottage is located(so about a 100 miles with no public toilets open)!!

      Delete
    3. Oh, dear. I fully appreciate the problem. Hopefully there are ways round it.
      How lovely, when you are allowed to visit again.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Oh, the poor apple tree! If it’s partially attached, hopefully it will survive.

    Isn’t it exciting to have homegrown veggies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extremely exciting and absolutely delicious!
      xx

      Delete
  8. Such a shame about the tree damage. Could you take some fruit off and take the picture to a local nursery or even give them a call, you may be able to reposition the branch back and tie it up with some non damaging tape or fabric.
    I'm sure a nursery will be able to give some good advice....good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Margaret. Good advice.
      xx

      Delete
  9. Sometimes a broken branch still grows on my orange tree. I just leave it and water it. You home grown vegetables look delicious! Congratulations. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it is entirely possible that the fruit will mature this year as the branch is still partly connected, it's what to do after that. Margaret has offered good advice but, actually, we were wondering about whether it should go anyway - it's a very low branch.
      Perhaps nature has made our decision for us.
      xx

      Delete