Tuesday 25 February 2020

Tuesday

Good morning!!  It's light, the ground is dry, there's blue in the sky with little whispy clouds racing across and, all in all, it's a lovely early morning.  Three cheers.  The forecast for the day looks pretty good too so I might very well pop down to the allotment and get those broad beans in.

Yesterday was quite an emotional day at times.

Not wanting (daring?) to brave wading knee deep in projects and fabric to get the sewing maching from Beth's work room, I took a deep breath and got out Mum's sewing machine that Dad gave me after her death.  It's a lovely machine of its time, a Bernina, and they got it at an Ideal Home Exhibition, going there specifically to see it on demo (and to see other things as well, of course).  Mum actually went on a weekend course to learn all its secrets as it is a bit of an electronic thingy.
It's a lovely machine and definitely about time I started using it!

I didn't explore any of the clever stuff yesterday, just used the manual to get the hang of winding the bobbin, threading it up and generally doing the basic stuff.  It's not difficult, all machines are more or less the same in the basics with slight differences.

Then I set to and made that top and I'm glad I did as, nice as it is, I don't think I will use the other fabric for it.  I think it is just a little bit wide but it will be easy to take in the side seams a bit as long as I do it before the hem at the bottom.
If I make it again (and I might), a softer and silkier fabric would work well.

As I was getting on with it, Beth walked in and recognised the fabric.  I made a little dress for her with some of it, one with a simple bodice, gathered short sleeves, a high waist, gathered skirt and sash.  It wouldn't surprise me if I'd smocked the front too although neither of us could remember so I probably didn't.  It was a classic 'little girl's dress' and very pretty it was too.  That was definitely in London days so well over 35 years ago.

Today, it is SW group first thing and after that I will come home and have my pancakes - must have pancakes today!
Then I have some hand sewing and I might start making something else, not the bug has bitten!  No tuition as I did it yesterday so I have the whole day ahead of me.  Lovely.

I hope your day is lovely too.  xx


8 comments:

  1. How lovely to have your mum's sewing machine and such special memories. What a good job you had a trial run it often throws up things that are not often appreciated at the time. In my job we always made a toile using different weights of calico so we could see the effects on the garment and make any adjustments to the final pattern. I also did this when I made wedding dresses so they were a perfect fit for the bride before I made up the silk fabrics.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is 'toile' actual word for it? Yes, it makes sense, especially when working with costly fabric or a new pattern.
      xx

      Delete
  2. PS - I think you have been spammed above me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful memories to treasure. Any sewing I do is tied up with memories of my mum and my childhood ... helping to pin the pattern, cutting out, sewing the straight seams and so on. She must have had the patience of a Saint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was expected to hand on those 'housewifely' skills to your girls. Feminist or not, I am very glad Mum had that patience as well and in the same way as your Mum. She let me do a bit of tacking too as well as simple seams, bless her. I felt so important!
      xx

      Delete
  4. How wonderful that you are using your sewing talents. The dress sounds lovely and feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Bernina, you are so lucky! I’m green with envy. I used to really enjoy making dresses for first my girls then my granddaughters. I might have a look through very old photos and see if I could write a post on that. Great idea to try the pattern in a cheaper fabric. You saved wasting your good fabric.

    ReplyDelete