Saturday 15 February 2020

Saturday

Good morning.  It was a pleasantly sunny day yesterday, albeit in a hazy sort of way, but the latest storm is on the way and is expected to impact here soon although it is calm and dry right now, early morning.   Fingers crossed it isn't as rough as last weekend.

I have two days to catch up on.
Thursday was a really lovely day.  Coffee and a lovely chat with J, a fantastic get together at school to wish Sue a happy retirement where lots of the 'old crowd' turned up and the staff room was filled with happy chatter and lots of reminiscing and then pottery (no photos, sorry) where one candle holder is now ready for firing and the other two have been glazed.  I'll have to wait two weeks to see the results as it's half term next week so no pottery.

Yesterday was dominated by the dental appointment but - and you couldn't make it up - Dr Clough wasn't totally satisfied with the fit of the temporary denture so he took another impression and has given me a slot for today at ten for the extractions.  In a way, it inspires confidence that he won't do less than the best but it's another sudden let down and it left me very tired and achey.
Beth probably can't come with me today so I will just have to put on my big girl's pants and do a bit of growing up, won't I?  And the wind can jolly well hold off until I get home again.

Once that's over, I have no plans for the rest of the day except to stay in out of the wind and read/knit/etc.
I finished some fingerless gloves I was knitting and now I'm on the second of a pair of socks.  I just fancied doing some smaller things and  quite enjoy knitting in a round (using four needles).  With any luck, I will finish the second sock over the weekend and, as I have lots of sock weight yarn, I might start another pair.  They are so nice and warm and comfortable and, as the yarn is self striping, they look fun too.

I went to Morrisons for a few bits and bobs and they had a couple of new sewing magazines in with paper patterns that they call 'free' although, at the price they ask for the magazines, I prefer to call them 'cheaper than usual'.  Anyway, I liked all the patterns so splashed out on a weekend/half term reading treat.
I need to reclaim my share of the sewing machine, don't I?


That's it really.  Have a great weekend, whatever you plan to do.  xx

19 comments:

  1. Morning Joy, so sorry for your ongoing dental stuff, it's really not nice is it? I feel for you, I honestly do. Storm Dennis is raging here, we won't be going anywhere this weekend. Well, poor husband will be taking Betty out for the necessary, but they won't be hanging about! The price of magazines is horrendous, isn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of a pain, have phyched myself up again. Hopefully it will be done today.
      Magazines can be shockingly expensive, yes, and they're filled with adverts too! I guess now and again won't hurt and the patterns are useful. Maybe I need to go on a fabric hunt at some point. There's a couple of lovely stalls on the market.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Joy my thoughts are with you. You have the courage just use it think what you have been through in your life and still you are here bright eyed and bushy tailed this is a mole hill not a mountain. I hope you have made contingency plans for a sore mouth like soup and jelly and icecream etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have indeed, Diane. Plans involve softer things like chicken, yogurt and even some bananas which I don't usually buy. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  3. 8am and the wind has just started whistling down the chimney.
    I'm beginning to understand what it must be like to live on the windy Scottish Island where my penfriend lives!
    Hope the D****** goes OK. (wont say the word out loud!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not at all bad here. Just a bit breezy, that's all.

      The D*** etc wasn't nice but all done now, dentures in and I have to keep them in for 24 hours. I have front teeth again!
      xx

      Delete
  4. I'm probably too late now to say good luck and hope you've arranged to go to and fro by taxi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that Annabeth. It was OK though, thanks.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Thinking of you today Joy, and hoping that the work goes ahead as planned. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it did, and I'm glad it's over. I'm also glad I have very little planned for this weekend. I'm feeling a bit cold so I'm going to turn up the heating, settle in front of the telly with my kindle and I might have a Potter-fest of DVDs
      xx

      Delete
    2. A Potter fest, now that's a brilliant idea. I'm glad that it's been done so you can relax and heal.

      Delete
    3. Now it's done I feel quite limp with relief. The numbness has gone and it really doesn't hurt at all, it just sort of 'feels'.
      xx

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry you've experienced another delay in your treatment but, as you say, it does, at least, sound like your dentist has high standards.
    I hope it all goes well for you. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The practice has a very good name around here and he's the founder and 'owner' of it. He is good.
      xx

      Delete
  7. Glad the dentist is over for you and I hope the rest of your day is restful and relaxing. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. It was, thankfully. I'm glad that bit is over.
      xx

      Delete
  8. Look after yourself and have a "hibernating" weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds perfect, Chris, thanks. Just what the doctor - or dentist - ordered, in fact. It helps that it is half term week so there's no planning to do. :-)
      xx

      Delete