Oh, my goodness, I am feeling so much better now! No dizzy head, not uncomfortable insides, an unbroken night's sleep and the jam jar is no longer in the bathroom - that's a dead end now. Small pleasures that add up to a lovely feeling of well-being.
It was nice to feel hungry too!
I'm feeling confident that I can (and need to!!!) go back onto my wholemeal bread now so I'll probably take what is left over to Beth's - Alex likes my white bread!
And, finally, a meal with some colour (coming from sweet potato, carrot and tomato flesh) and some taste! I did enjoy my dinner last night!
And, finally, a meal with some colour (coming from sweet potato, carrot and tomato flesh) and some taste! I did enjoy my dinner last night!
Sadly, I have needed to throw a number of things from the fridge away. They'd been there for nearly a fortnight and either expired or I just wasn't happy to use them. I hate doing that but needs must.
I've been picking tomatoes but not using them so there's a pile to deal with. Since the rain started, some are now splitting so they will need to be processed.
That takes me right back - when we were little, we lived in a village with a commercial nursery four or five doors along. Loads of huge greenhouses and the dominant summer crop was tomatoes. They had commercial outlets, of course, but for us in the village, we could pop along and ask for 'a bag of ripe ones, please, or 'splits' or 'greens' come the autumn when chutney season arrived. Dad used to say it just wasn't worth growing many at the price they charged. So, once a week (or more), one of us would be dispatched, coins in hand, for 'Mum says please may we have a bag of splits', knowing that Mum was planning our favourite lunch, bacon and tomatoes on toast, the bacon cooked to a crisp and the tomatoes chopped and cooked in the bacon fat. Nothing ever tasted as good as B&T to us children!!
We also had an 'egg farm' five minutes walk away and we used to get 'a dozed crackeds, please' knowing Mum would be baking cakes when we got home.
Happy memories.
Another thing that's lovely is getting some energy back. I sorted out the kitchen, did some housework, some washing, some ironing - stuff that has been sadly neglected.
Today, I'm looking forward to my first coffee for quite a while, I've sorted the kitchen after making some leek and potato soup and Beth's bread is in Thermione, quietly doing its thing. I've just brought in the Oddbox and need to get that sorted.
Being nearly the end of the month, I can do the finance closure for August today. I always like doing that and starting afresh.
I'm looking forward to a good day with plenty of opportunity to chill between other stuff! Have a lovely day, everyone. xx


That’s good news that you are back to full health. We had some rain last evening and more forecast for today. My tubs are feeling the benefit already. Catriona
ReplyDeleteIt's good, isn't it? We have sunshine right now but rain is forecast again.
DeleteThanks very much. xx
So glad you are feeling much better today, Joy.
ReplyDeleteI have a few of what I call 'laughing tomatoes' - because they have split their sides. I will use them up in some sauces this week.
The rain has been so welcome and it looks like more is on the way this week.
Bacon and tomatoes on toast bring back yummy memories for me too.
Enjoy the rest of your day and chill when you get the opportunity x
Laughing tomatoes - I absolutely LOVE that. You've given me a new name to use, thank you very much.
DeleteWe actually didn't get any rain yesterday but I can hope. xx
Glad you're feeling better. Upset tummies are horrible. We've had rain, thunderstorms, lightning here in Belper and the garden has perked up no end. I've filled 3 garden bags with cuttings, emptied the hanging basket and pots by the front door and started re-planting, but the energy levels stalled. Xx
ReplyDeleteThanks, Gill. I need to get going with the Autumn garden haircut now as well. Things are definitely past their best. xx
DeleteGood news that you are felling so much better . It went on far too long.
ReplyDelete